• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Reminiscing, Re:AD&D (Games 1 & 2 in progress in Playing the Game Forum....)

Leif

Adventurer
New Roster

Leif, do you have room for one more?
Never actually played PbP before!
That would make our roster read as follows:

DM: Leif
Players:
1. Jacob Marley - L/G Cleric
2. Kravell - ?
3. steeldragons - ?
4. Rhun - Elf Ftr/M-U/Thief
5. Keldryn - ?
with MerricB lurking

Sure, join the party! Literally! ;) That's going to be the limit, though, recruiting for active players is now closed. We might take a few alternates, however, just to guard against attrition. I'm still curious about what Kravell, steeldragons, and Keldryn will be choosing as characters?

Leif

Adventurer
Party is complete and recruiting for active players has closed! We need to find out the details about three of the characters, get my hindparts in gear and get some designing done, and then we'll be ready to start. :-S

( ;) I really can't wait!)

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
I was thinking of going plain ole human magic-user...but with no UA, we're looking at no cantrips, right? So it'd be a "one and done" scenario...so I might go elf or half-elf and multi-class, instead...

I'll roll things up after some coffee and see what I get. Maybe the dice gods will show me (or force me into ;) a different option.

I am prone to prefer spellcasters though. But stretching my fighter or thief role-playing muscles might not be a bad thing. :)

More later.

[EDIT] Ah! One more thing...I never had the Deities and Demigods with the Melnibonean mythos in it. Original Erol Otus cover, yes. But with the Melnibonean and Cthulu mythos' retracted.

If cleric or multi-cleric/something becomes an option (can never have too many healers in AD&D ;) ) is there a link I can go to to check them out?...or I guess, if it goes that way, I can ask for more specifics. Thanks.[/EDIT]
--SD

Last edited:

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
Queries re: Druids:

1) Will Druids receive the bonus spells for high wisdom, as clerics do? We always did in my games (ones I played and ones I've run). But I don't see/can't find, now, any definitive explanation in the PHB. So, your call, Mr. DM. :)

2) Are we doing Druid's as priests of a nature deity (does Melnibonean mythos have a nature deity?) or just worshippers of/getting their powers from the "natural" energies of the world? Either one works for me, just curious for potential character personality/rp-reasons.

Here's what I have/am thinking so far (let me know if there's anything that sticks out/won't work for the setting/world):

Half-elf/Female (been a while since I played a female :D)
Druid/1
True Neutral (obviously)

S: 10 (+1 age) = 11
I: 12
W: 16 (+1 age) = 17 (! Woohoo!)
D: 14
C: 11
Ch: 16 (I had forgotten how high a Druid's Cha had to be! Sheesh!)

So, as is, +10% XP for both Wis & Cha over 15! Yay.

No ability bonuses/penalties for a Half-Elf.

Starting age (using the "Cleric" column, half-elf row for Non-human Character, DMG p. 12): 40 + 4= 44 (just the low end of Mature for a half-elf: +1 Str., +1 Wis.?! SHWEET!)

Ok, moving ahead with this, why not?

Ht: 67" (what's that? 5'...7" Not bad.)/Wt: 98 lbs. (Skinny lil thing. But guess that works for the low-end/mediocre Str. and Con.).

Wpn Prof: 2 (+1/5 lvls): I'll go with a "Cudgel" (neatly carved to resemble a boar at the business end...a.k.a. a Club*) and Sling to start.

*Note: there is no Club or Cudgel listed on the Weapons/Equipment price list. So I am assuming it was made for me by someone in my order or I made it myself, or, heck, just found a sturdy piece of branch with a bulbous end on the ground? haha. Is there no charge?

DM Request: I would like to have a silver bladed hand/small sickle. This would be a "sacred" item for gathering herbs, not intended for use as a weapon (and obviously, if I did, it would be at the Non-proficient penalty anyway). Sickles are also not on the Equipment list, so using Dagger as a base (2gp) can I put down a silver sickle in my equipment for, say, 5gp?

Also concerning equipment, as a Druid am I using a "Holy Symbol" (of wood, I would guess) or Sprigs of Mistletoe (which is also not on the equipment list, so I would/could use Belladonna sprigs - they are practically the same herb- for 4 sp a pop?)

So...um...yeah, this character seems to be shaping up nicely/forming in my imagination rather quickly.

I'll wait for answers to my questions and then solidify/finalize a listing for this lady of the land.

--SD

Rhun

First Post
Yes, this is absolutely correct, MerricB has the correct interpretation, and this also includes the backstab ability!

I may have to rethink the chainmail with that ruling! :)

B. Char Gen -- roll 4d6, discard lowest, to generate 8 scores, two to be dropped at player's discretion. Then modify for race and age. Unearthed Arcana is not allowed, so no Comliness.

I think I used Method 3 for designing my PC. Are his scores okay how they are, or do you want me to re-roll the character?

Jacob Marley

Adventurer
Unfortunately, I do not own a copy of Deities & Demigods, just Legends & Lore and the Melnibonean Mythos is not in that book. If you can let me know a little more about Donblas (Wikipedia was not very helpful), I would appreciate it. Plus, a general overview of the mythos would be nice for those of us who are not familiar with Moorcock's work. Thanks.

I am assuming, at some point, that we are going to have to transfer this discussion over to the play-by-post section of ENWorld?

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
Unfortunately, I do not own a copy of Deities & Demigods, just Legends & Lore and the Melnibonean Mythos is not in that book. If you can let me know a little more about Donblas (Wikipedia was not very helpful), I would appreciate it. Plus, a general overview of the mythos would be nice for those of us who are not familiar with Moorcock's work. Thanks.

I am assuming, at some point, that we are going to have to transfer this discussion over to the play-by-post section of ENWorld?

OO! Lookit I found!

Deities and Demigods

I'll roll up a fighting man this weekend shooting for ranger if I roll well enough. Most likely human, I'll have to read over any other options for race. I'm happy with PH only, no UA.

Last edited:

Imperialus

Explorer
I'll throw my hat in as an alternate. I'll follow the posts.

If I might allow one suggestion that I have found moves a PBP along quite well is that the DM rolls initiative for everyone. It can sometimes take several days just to organize the beginning of a combat round otherwise.

Remove ads