D&D 5E removing cantrips: what to give instead?

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
I'm not proposing things, just pointing out that you -collective undefinite you, not "you" you- can't just blindly apply the same changes to classes that are fundamentally different. My first objection was on thematic grounds, yes it is kind of balanced, but it is a huge thematic violation of sorcerers. One that makes them less like sorcerers and more like wizards -I thought that you out of all people would appreciate that not happening-, because the more of these changes are done, the less sense it makes to have it as a class. If you are not going to respect the thematic boundaries of the class, you might as well just plain get rid of that class -and the character concepts that class reflects, and the players that play those concepts-.

The second one is done on balance grounds. Just like warlocks derive their damage output from eldritch blast, sorcerers derive most of their utility from cantrips, as evidenced by them having more than anybody else. If you take cantrips away and replace them with just prestidigitation like @DEFCON 1 proposes, then you are breaking balance and need to compensate them somewhere else.

Your suggestion on the other hand is a nerf for a nerf sake
I removed your needless eyesearing pink.

It's not a nerf unless offensve cantrips are not actually removed from everyone else. You yourself in this post I quoted said "sorcerers derive most of their utility from cantrips, as evidenced by them having more than anybody else" & I agree, which is why I suggested leaning into that class identity by letting them keep those 4-6 cantrips while progressing as halfcasters while everyone else is left using regular weapons or cantrip wands that may require attunement & may not scale.

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
I removed your needless eyesearing pink.

It's not a nerf unless offensve cantrips are not actually removed from everyone else. You yourself in this post I quoted said "sorcerers derive most of their utility from cantrips, as evidenced by them having more than anybody else" & I agree, which is why I suggested leaning into that class identity by letting them keep those 4-6 cantrips while progressing as halfcasters while everyone else is left using regular weapons or cantrip wands that may require attunement & may not scale.
Forgive me if I misunderstand you. But it is a nerf if you turn them into halfcasters.
Edit: Sorry about the color, but posting in color cheers me up when I feel down.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Forgive me if I misunderstand you. But it is a nerf if you turn them into halfcasters.
Edit: Sorry about the color, but posting in color cheers me up when I feel down.
Then obviously you are reversing course and suggesting sorcerers don't need an exception to keep offensive cantrips & can lose them with everyone else rather than wearing some munchkin mantle right?

Remove ads