D&D 5E Rename the Monster Manual

Sadras

Legend
Everything is subject to criticism and change. That's how life works. There's no point where we stop and say "OK everything is fine now, no need for further change".

That has been true of D&D in the past and it will continue to be true in the future.

Race level limits, alignment languages, lack of class options, homogenous monster alignments, "Fighting Man", lower strength maximums for women, no pictures of BIPOC in the PHB, "mongrel" half-orcs - all of these were criticised and, as a consequence, changed.

Absolutely everything in D&D has been criticised. Lots of it has changed. Any aspect of it may change in the future.

And how many of those were due to moral outrage?

From Mordenkainen's Manual of the Maltreated and Morally Misunderstood

Orcs
In writing this new manual, I spent six months living amongst the orcs in the miserable wastelands they call home. During that time, I ate with orcs, I philosophized with orcs, and I even slept with orcs (consensually, of course). And we, together, forged unbreakable bonds of friendship.

From my studies, I have learned that all orcs are unique individuals. While some fit the unfortunate stereotype as brutal savages, their aggressive nature is a symptom of the genocide waged against their seed by greedy, gold-hungry, murderboboing capitalists. Most, however, can only be suffering artist. Their standards of beauty may go unnoticed by the eyes of the unlearned, but orcish poetry, music, dance, and facepaint (once understood) can only be described as ravishing. Those bigots who fail to identify the magnificence of orcish artwork are just that: bigots - and they deserve to become the next targets of those genocidal, greedy, gold-hungry, murderboboing capitalists.

Last edited:

dave2008

Legend
@The Mirrorball Man I'll take your question seriously: No, it shouldn't change for a few reasons:
  1. It is accurate. Many play a fantasy game to fight monsters, not beasts, or antagonist, or foes.
  2. It is accurate. We are all monsters and the name and its usage treats us all fairly.
  3. I don't find the terms "Monster," or "Manual" offensive.
  4. The book clearly explains what the term means*
  5. It sounds good. Alliteration at work baby.
  6. Tradition. It is basically D&D jargon at this point.
*From the MM
1595416902641.png

Now, after all of that. I wouldn't really care if it is changed (heck it was changed in 2e), but I think another name would probably be less accurate or more offensive.

R_J_K75

Legend

Orcs
In writing this new manual, I spent six months living amongst the orcs in the miserable wastelands they call home. During that time, I ate with orcs, I philosophized with orcs, and I even slept with orcs (consensually, of course). And we, together, forged unbreakable bonds of friendship.

From my studies, I have learned that all orcs are unique individuals. While some fit the unfortunate stereotype as brutal savages, their aggressive nature is a symptom of the genocide waged against their seed by greedy, gold-hungry, murderboboing capitalists. Most, however, can only be suffering artist. Their standards of beauty may go unnoticed by the eyes of the unlearned, but orcish poetry, music, dance, and facepaint (once understood) can only be described as ravishing. Those bigots who fail to identify the magnificence of orcish artwork are just that: bigots - and they deserve to become the next targets of those those genocidal, greedy, gold-hungry, murderboboing capitalists.

By: Jane Goodall

dave2008

Legend

Orcs

From my studies, I have learned that all orcs are unique individuals. While some fit the unfortunate stereotype as brutal savages, their aggressive nature is a symptom of the genocide waged against their seed by greedy, gold-hungry, murderboboing capitalists. Most, however, can only be suffering artist. Their standards of beauty may go unnoticed by the eyes of the unlearned, but orcish poetry, music, dance, and facepaint (once understood) can only be described as ravishing. Those bigots who fail to identify the magnificence of orcish artwork are just that: bigots - and they deserve to become the next targets of those those genocidal, greedy, gold-hungry, murderboboing capitalists.
You're on a roll - more please!

Remove ads