D&D 5E Respect Mah Authoritah: Thoughts on DM and Player Authority in 5e

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Sure, elaborate, then. How does that work? Let's get into the process and you show how p274 (the monster creation rules which does have an entry for 0 CR defensive level with 1 hitpoint) effectively creates 4e minions.
You set the other values you want, adjust the hit points to 1. What else really needs to be done? It hardly seems more fiat-based than declaring individual parts of a Solo-level creature's body as individual minions.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
I don't think there are readymade statblocks in 4e for tentacles either. I might be wrong. But in 5e the creature resilience/offence ratio is not fixed. There are some creatures that are more glass cannony, some that are more tanky. So having hard hitting but not so resilient enemy is definitely a thing that is perfectly within the spirit of 5e monster design. Though again, having or not having such enemies has absolutely nothing to do with player agency, so I have no clue why you're even talking about it.

Yes, these are things in 4. What they have to do with player agency? Anyone can list random things from a game.

And that se has some dodge power? Why would you know that? And whilst it is indeed reasonable to assume that little girls are not resilient, technically the characters would just know that she looks like one.

Why would you know his capabilities? Why would you know his disposition? Why would you even know he's the girl's dad? Maybe he's a priest of Cthulhu, who has lured the girl there on false pretences to sacrifice her to the tentacle monster? You don't know!

Let's assume for a moment that the GM would want to create situation like this, except that there actually is some surprise. The girl actually is a powerful chosen of the Elder Gods, controlling the tentacle monster, and 'father' likewise is her mind controlled puppet. This is actually a trap to lure the characters in. How would you present that then, if the usual practice is to list everything openly, whether the charters could actually know it or not? In fiction everything looks the same, yet now you cannot provide the same mechanical information (or if you do, it is a lie.) This clearly demonstrates that there is massive disconnect between the mechanical information and what the characters would actually know.

I mean if the GM was actually so skilled illusionist and railroader that I didn't at any moment feel railroaded then it indeed would be perfectly fine. Now in practice it is extremely unlikely that a GM could do this, and the easiest way to not have the players feel that they're railroaded is to not railroad them! But yeah, how it appears is what matters, not how it was actually done.
Ah, the goalpost move to "player agency." Initially, the arguments were about how presentation of the situation was exactly the same in any editions of D&D -- you could do everything the same way anyway. When challenged, this shifts to "what does this have to do with player agency anyway," as if the initial arguments addressed this either. And then the idea that this is an argument about player agency -- an odd place to start given the example of player by @Manbearcat was in response to how a particular approach to play worked and not player agency. Specifically, the question is how does this approach in 4e work to avoid relying on GM fiat. And, given your answer that GM fiat is perfectly fine, I have no idea why you're suddenly trying to argue for player agency on one hand while gleefully discarding it with the other.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
You set the other values you want, adjust the hit points to 1. What else really needs to be done? It hardly seems more fiat-based than declaring individual parts of a Solo-level creature's body as individual minions.
Uh-huh, and how does that work in the game? You're sticking to a narrow statement "I can set hp to 1" without addressing anything else about the mechanical implications of minions or how they affect the GM fiat/player engagement dynamic.

Let's say I set up the same situation in 5e as the play example for 4e provided by @Manbearcat. The claim is you can do this just as well in 5e. Go, do this -- provide the same clarity of information in the same concise chunks with the same resolution space and show that it doesn't require GM fiat to function.

Ah, the goalpost move to "player agency." Initially, the arguments were about how presentation of the situation was exactly the same in any editions of D&D -- you could do everything the same way anyway. When challenged, this shifts to "what does this have to do with player agency anyway," as if the initial arguments addressed this either. And then the idea that this is an argument about player agency -- an odd place to start given the example of player by @Manbearcat was in response to how a particular approach to play worked and not player agency. Specifically, the question is how does this approach in 4e work to avoid relying on GM fiat. And, given your answer that GM fiat is perfectly fine, I have no idea why you're suddenly trying to argue for player agency on one hand while gleefully discarding it with the other.
No goalposts have been moved. The example was to demonstrate how 4e avoids GM fiat. This is same as enhancing player agency. Yes, we know 4e mechanics are somewhat different that 5e mechanics, this in fact why they're two different editions! However no one has actually demonstrated how 4e mechanics are different in manner which avoids GM fiat, at least in the case of this particular example. Openness about the mechanics does that, it has nothing to do with what the mechanics actually are.

Now my observation that worrying this is silly in the first place really doesn't affect the facts of the case in any way.

Uh-huh, and how does that work in the game? You're sticking to a narrow statement "I can set hp to 1" without addressing anything else about the mechanical implications of minions or how they affect the GM fiat/player engagement dynamic.
This is just some bizarre magical thinking at this point. 'Minion' is just easily killable enemy that still can hit relatively hard. You can do this in 5e, as demonstrated (though you seemed to be unaware of this.) It works just the same. 4e having specific term 'minion' for this doesn't actually alter the situation one bit.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
And that se has some dodge power? Why would you know that? And whilst it is indeed reasonable to assume that little girls are not resilient, technically the characters would just know that she looks like one.

Why would you know his capabilities? Why would you know his disposition? Why would you even know he's the girl's dad? Maybe he's a priest of Cthulhu, who has lured the girl there on false pretences to sacrifice her to the tentacle monster? You don't know!
CL, I'm willing to accept that there's a huge and largely unbridgeable difference in gaming styles here between presenting a situation narratively without mechanical details and letting the players guess/make assumptions about the situation from their perspective and having the mechanical situation and the tasks laid out in detail. There simply is - and I'm with you and Lanefan that the latter pretty much strips away a lot of the charm of role playing games for me. That doing so may be done in the service of trying to keep a GM from railroading the situation just seems like a grossly disproportionate price to pay... for me. If that work for Ovinomancer's or Manbearcat's games, that's fine for their styles and players who like that sort of thing.

But you're right in the sense that none of that was impossible to do in other editions or other games. You can and always could lay out the exact mechanical values involved in a situation and set the boundaries of the challenge. The terms and specific details of what those values are are the only aspect that would change. It's just that for most of D&D's lifespan, that style and the gaming culture that embraces it didn't exist in significant number (and, honestly, my suspicion is it's still a minority within the hobby).

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
This is just some bizarre magical thinking at this point. 'Minion' is just easily killable enemy that still can hit relatively hard. You can do this in 5e, as demonstrated (though you seemed to be unaware of this.) It works just the same. 4e having specific term 'minion' for this doesn't actually alter the situation one bit.
4e doesn't just have a term, it's a conceptual, genre-laden package that significantly reduces GM cognitive workload and provides clear situational information to players as to how the fiction is organized. To expand on the GM cognitive workload, to do this thing in 5e I have to engage the detailed monster creation rules or just wing it randomly. Both of these significantly unbalance the assumptions of encounter design, so I have to again take this load onto myself as GM to manage encounters involving these 5e 'minions'. And, when it goes pear shaped because the balance is opaque, invites use of Force to course correct.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
No goalposts have been moved. The example was to demonstrate how 4e avoids GM fiat. This is same as enhancing player agency. Yes, we know 4e mechanics are somewhat different that 5e mechanics, this in fact why they're two different editions! However no one has actually demonstrated how 4e mechanics are different in manner which avoids GM fiat, at least in the case of this particular example. Openness about the mechanics does that, it has nothing to do with what the mechanics actually are.

Now my observation that worrying this is silly in the first place really doesn't affect the facts of the case in any way.
No, it isn't moving goalposts, because the initial complaints had nothing to do with GM fiat - you moved here after those were challenged as a way to dismiss the challenges. That the initial situation was related doesn't change that you started with complaint set A about issue A and have moved to complaint set B about issue B when A was challenged.

Your stance about agency -- that it's utterly unnecessary and seeking it is not worthwhile -- just frames your engagement as not entirely honest. You don't care about methods that increase reduce GM fiat and so will not engage the concepts behind them in a fair way. Any time a point might be close to being made, you can retreat into not caring.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
CL, I'm willing to accept that there's a huge and largely unbridgeable difference in gaming styles here between presenting a situation narratively without mechanical details and letting the players guess/make assumptions about the situation from their perspective and having the mechanical situation and the tasks laid out in detail. There simply is - and I'm with you and Lanefan that the latter pretty much strips away a lot of the charm of role playing games for me. That doing so may be done in the service of trying to keep a GM from railroading the situation just seems like a grossly disproportionate price to pay... for me. If that work for Ovinomancer's or Manbearcat's games, that's fine for their styles and players who like that sort of thing.

But you're right in the sense that none of that was impossible to do in other editions or other games. You can and always could lay out the exact mechanical values involved in a situation and set the boundaries of the challenge. The terms and specific details of what those values are are the only aspect that would change. It's just that for most of D&D's lifespan, that style and the gaming culture that embraces it didn't exist in significant number (and, honestly, my suspicion is it's still a minority within the hobby).
This is, again, confusing form with function. I've already shown that it's not about revealing too much information, but just being concise about it. You can go either way. To say, though, that you can give statblocks in any edition is rather missing quite a lot of information -- it's not about statblocks, but about how 4e organized the bits of play. I can surely have 1 hitpoint monsters in any edition and give the statblocks, but how those function in play cognitively - on both the GM and player sides - is vastly different. Every edition other than 4e requires that this kind of thing be balanced by the GM in real-time, with either lots of effort and cognitive workload on encounter balancing or on using Force in encounter to manage divergence from intent. On the player side, the cognitive workload to situation within the fiction engagement is also higher outside of 4e -- I need to understand how that statblock operates at a much deeper level of analysis than I do with a 4e minion, and what fiction that represents is going to vary wildly. My ability to evaluate the fiction and make choices requires quite a lot more before I'm on the same page as the GM.

And this is all assuming 100% tranparency. The moment we move into the Mushrooming of players with hard information controls, this all gets worse from the player side, and enables even more Force from the GM.

Now, all of that said, I play 5e very differently from this approach to 4e, because it's a different game. I wouldn't even try to recreate what 4e does very easily with regard to this approach in 5e, because that system doesn't have the same toolset that 4e does. It doesn't do the same things, and isn't trying. So, in 5e, while I still do share statblocks because I think it clearly represents the PC's ability to discern things about the fiction that I'm otherwise just gating behind description or pixelbitching, I do not at all think it's doing the same that as it does in 4e.

4e doesn't just have a term, it's a conceptual, genre-laden package that significantly reduces GM cognitive workload and provides clear situational information to players as to how the fiction is organized. To expand on the GM cognitive workload, to do this thing in 5e I have to engage the detailed monster creation rules or just wing it randomly. Both of these significantly unbalance the assumptions of encounter design, so I have to again take this load onto myself as GM to manage encounters involving these 5e 'minions'. And, when it goes pear shaped because the balance is opaque, invites use of Force to course correct.
This starts to remind me of alignment discussions, where alignment proponents bring in their internalised assumptions and headcanons and claim that the two letters communicate all sort of information that simply isn't there in any objective sense. Gamey mechanical shorthands may speed up communication, and that might be valuable in certain instances; but that's it, they don't actually change how anything functions.

No, it isn't moving goalposts, because the initial complaints had nothing to do with GM fiat - you moved here after those were challenged as a way to dismiss the challenges. That the initial situation was related doesn't change that you started with complaint set A about issue A and have moved to complaint set B about issue B when A was challenged.

@Manbearcat 's example was to demonstrate that 4e limits GM fiat. I agree that the practice demonstrated in example would limit GM fiat, but that was not due the specific mechanics in question, it was due the extreme amount of transparency.

Your stance about agency -- that it's utterly unnecessary and seeking it is not worthwhile -- just frames your engagement as not entirely honest.
On the contrary, that I am open about my opinions and preferences makes my engagement honest. It is ironic that you can't see this given the topic.

You don't care about methods that increase reduce GM fiat and so will not engage the concepts behind them in a fair way. Any time a point might be close to being made, you can retreat into not caring.
I try my best to be objective, but then again, who of us can truly be that? But I really don't think the point has been close being made. It is perfectly possible that I am wrong, and 4e has robust anti-fiat elements, but just repeating names of 4e rule concepts like magical mantra is not going to demonstrate that.

In any case, I think @Campbell and @billd91 were taking the discussion in more fruitful direction by outlining what is gained by limiting GM fiat, and on the other hand what sacrifices one needs to do to achieve that and why it might not necessarily be worth it.

Remove ads