D&D 5E Respect Mah Authoritah: Thoughts on DM and Player Authority in 5e

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Do you?

You've gone on to describe a situation where the maguffin was destroyed in adventure 2 of a 5 part series, and then the GM simply narrated around that destruction to get everything right back on track for parts 3 to 5.

Undoing a development isn't exactly honoring it.
Seems like kind of a nitpick here since Lanefan also does indicate that they knew the railroad was going on and had fun with it in spite of that fact. So... what? You trying to call him out as hypocritical because he actually enjoyed something that was clearly an exception to his normal stand? In places other than internet arguments, that might be considered ground for kudos for not being overly dogmatic about it and going with the flow of the game.
I guess not here...

hawkeyefan

Legend
Players noticing the use force is failure in a similar way than magician fumbling a magic trick so that audience realises how it is doen. But mistakes happen, it is understandable, not a big deal.

Yeah, that's not really how I like my games to work. I'm playing in a 5e game now (rotating GMs so it's kind of interesting to see how everyone takes the 5e rules and applies them differently) and I definitely notice some of this happening. I mean....it's baked in, right? But it can be limited.

I don't mind that 5e is very GM focused. But I do expect that the player be given at least some authority, especially those examples that are clearly defined in the book.

But you know how it works. The GM makes naughty word up and can alter things as they see fit. At least that's how D&D works. So if you agreed to play D&D, why would you expect anything else?

It's the "alter things as they see fit" part that causes issues, I think. As I mentioned way back earlier in the thread, I think people read certain passages in the books that they interpret to grant much more authority to the GM than I think is actually intended. I don't mind a GM exercising the authority needed for the game to function; I mind when the GM overrides the chance for a player to have some say because there's some gray area or because they feel they can alter things as they see fit.

I don't think that it's too much to expect the GM to allow for player input.

I really don't know how to answer this. Seems again to be fundamentally different way to see things. As a player I want to 'believe' in the illusion of objective reality of the game world, and as GM I try to maintain illusion of it. So I don't want the GM to say "Ok guys, the game is going nowhere, you need the macguffing and have spent hours trying to find it to no avail. It's behind the painting, go and take it so the game can progress" when they could just surreptitiously move the magguffing in the next place the PCs happen to look, the players would feel like they succeeded, and the game world would continue feel organic and real.

That's not what I meant. I think in both the examples of that scenario you've described it's basically a railroad. Thing has to happen in order to progress to next scene. It's predetermined.

I'd prefer that situation to be set up a bit differently so that if we failed to find the maguffin, then there were other things to do. Either other ways to engage the path we were on with some kind of consequence for not finding the maguffin (perhaps we have to find some other clue or information and as a result we've lost time, and so a threat has increased or timetable has progressed, etc.) or else some other thing to do.

Alternatively, in the way you've described it, I'd rather the GM just let us find the maguffin rather than leave it to chance that we find it. If i's necessary in order for the game to not grind to a halt, why risk that happening? Just say we found it after searching for a while. Maybe have a roll determine how much time is needed to find it, and then you can advance related factors accordingly.

This is the problem with gating things behind one roll and it's something I've tried to avoid since my earliest days as a GM.

I did see it. I definitely wouldn't have handled it that way. It seemed to go against the spirit of the ability, especially as you took steps to ensure that the farmers were trustworthy. I agree wit the opinions that some sort soft move where the farmers warn you that the Duke's soldiers are coming would have been appropriate. Though that you got the long rest out of it makes it less bad; at least your actions were not completely negated amounting to nothing.

Sure, sure. And I'm sure people express their opinions on message boards more fervently than they might in the real life.

Sure. I also think that simply discussing things makes them seem more fervent. "I like things to be X way" doesn't mean the same thing as "I never want to se things as Y", although sometimes it's read that way.

Player has authored a goal finding her sister that has been taken by a fiendish cult. Or did she join them? Whilst infiltrating the cults hideout, several things go awry, and would, if game rules were strictly followed lead to the sister perishing before he had a chance to talk to her. But GM uses subtle force to prevent this from happening. The sister survives, the character confronts her, dramatic reveals and some hard decisions follow.

This is not to say that the sister dying would have necessarily ruined things, it would have been a different sort of story. But if players are hyped about certain things coming to pass, I think it is fine for GM to use their tricks to help that to happen.

This is hard to say. I think that trying to bring forth things that the player cares about and has indicated they want to see come up in play is a desirable thing. I think how exactly it's handled would determine if Force was used or not. It really depends.

Like, I don't have a problem with a GM narrating what happens when two NPCs interact. I don't need them to roll everything out. In fact, I prefer they don't....although I think now and again something that can be determined by one roll is a good way to randomize things.

The reason I don't mind this is that what they're doing is setting up the scenario. So if they just narrate that the sister is in danger and then put it to the player to do something, that's fine. If the player somehow failed, and the sister's life was at stake, and so the GM softballs things and makes her not die.....that's not something I'd be crazy about.

I get it....it's a kind of sympathetic thing to do. But as a player I almost always pick up on that, and it's dissatisfying.

The issue is that if your normal practice is to give all that info upfront... and then you suddenly don't because things are not what they seem, you have already spoiled the surprise. The players now know that things are amiss.

Like I said earlier, looking the fictional description of the situation only, the reality of the kraken scene could be that the girl is a powerful chosen of the Elder Gods, mind controlling a hapless random man, in order to lure the PCs in to sacrifice them to the kraken. I think this clearly shows that divulging the mechanics gives the players information that their characters do not have, and removes possibility of any interesting surprises.

I didn't read that as giving all the information up front. I thought it was the NPC allies' info, and the types of creatures that the Kraken and its tentacles counted as. Certainly the types of creatures give us an indication....like as a Solo monster, the Kraken is likely to have a high number of hit points and so on. But I don't think the stat block of the monsters were shared.

Now, let's say the little girl is some kind of secret deity or higher being that just looks like a girl; how does sharing a stat block change that? Does it somehow prevent the GM from such a revelation later on if that's what's going on?

If that was the case, I'd simply expect some kind of hint that there was something more going on, and perhaps a roll of some kind to pick up on it, etc.

I don't think that saying "this girl is a minion and has the ability to avoid danger in this way" means "this is perfectly accurate knowledge and me giving you access to these stats is a contractual obligation on my part that they will never change or otherwise be revealed to be different".

Last edited:

hawkeyefan

Legend
Let me just say that I find it very...curious...and interesting...and a host of other things that the framing of the father + daughter + boat + mouth of river into bay + tentacle sea monster is a problem because "so much established fiction (literally just those things 5 scene tags were established) makes it impossible to surprise players (or the GM)."

The premise of the game is that the Ranger was a Ghost of the Past theme. We (neither the player nor myself) knew who she was or where she was or what was going on; effectively her existence was unknown to her. She only had a singular memory (in Backstory below). This is what she gave me to start the game. She authored a little backstory, set some themes, and authored a Kicker (an opening scene rife with conflict) and we took it from the point of her scene framing. This is basically the start of the game (where her consciousness emerges and we begin the journey of finding out who this character is):

Everything from that point forward was the play of the game letting us both (player and GM) be surprised by and collectively discover who the PC was and what the hell is going on here.

The scene on the bay? All we knew at that point was what had transpired up to that point:

* There were supernatural creatures/cults absconding with children from somewhere and a terrible ritual sacrifice.

* She saved these children from said sacrifice and learned a little bit about things; something terrible haunts this world...some kind of supernatural apocalypse (lycanthropy or something). The children were small enough that they didn't know where they were or where they were from. They were captured some time ago from varying villages that don't stray from their walls. A few were from a bay/river village (so she decided to find a river and follow it).

* Like The Road by Cormac McCarthy, all adults were proving dangerous or dangerously suspicious/protective (again, this turned into sort of a supernatural aftermath game as play wore on). Social interactions were fraught (at best).

* The physical world was violent and dangerous (benign topography as well as she was up in a precarious mountain domain with landslides and rushing rivers leading precipitously downward into a bay), with actual primal spirits, wicked fey, cults, and frightened humanoid communities besetting/accosting living things.

So she navigated several conflicts (including finding a place to safely stow these children while she journeys for help and to orient her to where she is and who she is). The rushing river hazard conflict ends and she filters out on the bay where the village is alleged to be.

The number of questions about this little girl and the father are endless. Who are they? Are they from the village that I'm looking for? Will they welcome me or rebuff me (particularly given the world). Does this sea creature haunt their fishing all the time? Is it some kind of creature that they worship and give offerings to so that their fisheries remain bountiful? The questions are endless.

But the player had intersecting longterm goals and the new scene opener crystalized her goals here and now. Save the daughter and father so that I can parley with them and hopefully they will help me/us (the children); either embrace me or reject me (depending on the success of the follow-on social conflict)...but I'll have more information regardless.

The number of ways that scene and the follow-on social conflict could have gone are myriad both in terms of the identities of the 4 parties involved (father, daughter, sea monster, village/villagers) and in terms of the trajectory of play.

Its an extremely odd thing to me to get hung up on "a stat block makes discovery/surprise impossible!" its not only not true...it seems a failure of...I don't know what? Conception of the giant creative matrix of realities in any given situation (particularly with so many unfixed parameters)?

Ugh all the stats!!! May as well just play a board game!

Numidius

Adventurer
Ron Edwards gives an account:

embrace the fullest and most extreme rules-driven consequences of every single resolved conflict, no matter what they are. Show those consequences and treat them as the material of the moment in the very next scenes, every time. . . .

Games vary a lot regarding the formal consequences upon a setting, which I’ll discuss a bit later. For now, merely keep in mind that your immediate location for play was “made to be broken,” and be willing to display the stages of its breaking with every game session. If the game doesn’t have any mechanical way to express this, then do it anyway based on what’s happened so far.​

So much this, yes.

Made to be broken, not metaphorically, in my current scenario.
The words from Edwards come as a relief after being shaken by @Ovinomancer mention of mechanical immersion vs cinematic escapism, doubled down by @hawkeyefan 's blu pill vs red pill Matrix reference, since I'm running prewritten scenarios the way Edwards envisions.
I reserve the same treatment to players input/limited content introduction via their action declarations (thanks @pemerton & others) adding my own twist, building new situations charged with tension as we go.
Is it a reverse form of Illusionism, when I improvise whole dungeon crawls inspired by their declarations, while they believe it was all prepped?

@hawkeyefan said: --Let me ask you this; would you have any problem if the GM said the below?

"You can tell this guy knows what he's doing. He's protecting the girl very well, and managing to fend off the tentacles. He's clearly a competent swordsman. But it's only a matter of time until he's done."

My guess is you would not. So then I don't see the problem with sharing some mechanical bits that clearly define that description into the language of the game.--

At the moment I'm experimenting in running mostly freeform, so the language of the game and actual description are the same. I find it more cinematic and immersive than before.
Escapism? o_O'
This style, IME, fosters more dramatic choices by the table, during combat especially, because Success at a Cost and Fail Forward have become very common as we declare actions back and forth towards a resolution.

@Lanefan If I had an angel in disguise in the scene, I would never leave it unnoticed by the players. That is just my playstyle though; I tend to frame scenes quite aggressively, especially under IRL time constraints.

hawkeyefan

Legend
I do not often share stat blocks, but I almost always share target numbers. I am generous with the truth primarily because part of the fun of playing roleplaying games for me is that we are all (GM included) an audience to the unfolding narrative of play. Sharing target numbers, establishing clear stakes, being generous with the truth, and having open secrets all help us to have a clear idea of the narrative so we can all appreciate what's going on as both participants and audience members. I get to be a fan of the other players' characters because I feel the tension when they roll dice, I know the stakes, and how likely they are to succeed. An imperfect view of the fiction does help to immerse in character and the setting sometimes, but if I have no real insight into what's going on I can't really enjoy the unfolding narrative we are creating together.

Yeah, the specific nature of what may be shared with the players would likely depend on the situation. I generally don't hand over stat blocks like "here's what you're fighting" but if necessary, I might explain that a breath weapon is like a 15 foot cone, or what have you.

Being generous with the truth is the important thing, I think. I have to have a good reason not to share things with the players, and by good reason I mean better than "they haven't made a skill check yet to determine it".

hawkeyefan

Legend
Seems like kind of a nitpick here since Lanefan also does indicate that they knew the railroad was going on and had fun with it in spite of that fact. So... what? You trying to call him out as hypocritical because he actually enjoyed something that was clearly an exception to his normal stand? In places other than internet arguments, that might be considered ground for kudos for not being overly dogmatic about it and going with the flow of the game.
I guess not here...

I'm asking about what seems like a bit of a discrepancy and for @Lanefan's take on it. I'd like to hear more about it. Whatever answer he may provide is perfectly fine!

See just above how @Crimson Longinus asked and I clarified that I'm not rabidly fervent about my preferences. CL read something I posted which wasn't 100% clear for him, so he mentioned it, and I offered more info in order to clarify.

Xetheral

Three-Headed Sirrush
Now, let's say the little girl is some kind of secret deity or higher being that just looks like a girl; how does sharing a stat block change that? Does it somehow prevent the GM from such a revelation later on if that's what's going on?

If that was the case, I'd simply expect some kind of hint that there was something more going on, and perhaps a roll of some kind to pick up on it, etc.

I don't think that saying "this girl is a minion and has the ability to avoid danger in this way" means "this is perfectly accurate knowledge and me giving you access to these stats is a contractual obligation on my part that they will never change or otherwise be revealed to be different".
Am I correct in understanding that you would strongly object to a GM changing an NPC's actual statblock behind the curtain for any reason, but you have no issue with a GM showing the players a phony NPC statblock in order to preserve a mystery? You would consider the former to be a breach of trust but the later not to be?

I'm more-or-less the opposite. I have no issue with a GM changing unestablished-in-play elements of an NPC's statblock behind the curtain, but if the GM is ostensibly pulling back the curtain by showing me the statblock, I would consider it a serious breach of trust if the shown statblock was inaccurate.

loverdrive

Prophet of the profane (She/Her)
Am I correct in understanding that you would strongly object to a GM changing an NPC's actual statblock behind the curtain for any reason, but you have no issue with a GM showing the players a phony NPC statblock in order to preserve a mystery? You would consider the former to be a breach of trust but the later not to be?
I'm not hawkeyefan, but I've read their words as "I don't mind knowing that a little girl has 23 STR for some reason" rather than "I don't mind GM placing a fake little girl statblock".

It's the "alter things as they see fit" part that causes issues, I think. As I mentioned way back earlier in the thread, I think people read certain passages in the books that they interpret to grant much more authority to the GM than I think is actually intended. I don't mind a GM exercising the authority needed for the game to function; I mind when the GM overrides the chance for a player to have some say because there's some gray area or because they feel they can alter things as they see fit.

I don't think that it's too much to expect the GM to allow for player input.
Sure. But sometimes player input might result the game stalling and nothing interesting happening. Or something happening that the players actually didn't want to happen. And I don't think it is wrong for GM to nudge things into more interesting or preferable directions on such occasions.

That's not what I meant. I think in both the examples of that scenario you've described it's basically a railroad. Thing has to happen in order to progress to next scene. It's predetermined.

I'd prefer that situation to be set up a bit differently so that if we failed to find the maguffin, then there were other things to do. Either other ways to engage the path we were on with some kind of consequence for not finding the maguffin (perhaps we have to find some other clue or information and as a result we've lost time, and so a threat has increased or timetable has progressed, etc.).

Alternatively, in the way you've described it, I'd rather the GM just let us find the maguffin rather than leave it to chance that we find it. If i's necessary in order for the game to not grind to a halt, why risk that happening? Just say we found it after searching for a while. Maybe have a roll determine how much time is needed to find it, and then you can advance related factors accordingly.

This is the problem with gating things behind one roll and it's something I've tried to avoid since my earliest days as a GM.
Certainly letting them to find it in the next place they look effectively is the GM letting them find it? The illusion just is that the players feel they did something to contribute to it, whilst in reality they didn't. And I don't see how that is bad thing.

And yeah, it was a boring linear scenario and in almost every instance the use of force could be avoided by setting up the situation better in the first place. (I guess that's why I haven't had to use force in my current campaign! ;) ) But none of us are perfect, perhaps not even me! Sometimes you set up the situation thoughtlessly, and then in actual game it just doesn't quite work. And if you can fix it by rearranging things behind curtains a bit, why not?

This is hard to say. I think that trying to bring forth things that the player cares about and has indicated they want to see come up in play is a desirable thing. I think how exactly it's handled would determine if Force was used or not. It really depends.
But lets say force is used to achieve this. Why is that bad?

Like, I don't have a problem with a GM narrating what happens when two NPCs interact. I don't need them to roll everything out. In fact, I prefer they don't....although I think now and again something that can be determined by one roll is a good way to randomize things.
The reason I don't mind this is that what they're doing is setting up the scenario. So if they just narrate that the sister is in danger and then put it to the player to do something, that's fine. If the player somehow failed, and the sister's life was at stake, and so the GM softballs things and makes her not die.....that's not something I'd be crazy about.
Yea, but this is where it gets muddy. What even is force?

Let's say this is the scenario. The player whose sister is missing is really invested to this storyline. It is the driving force of their character. This is important to the player. The characters infiltrate the cultist hideout. The PC's sister has joined the cult, but the characters don't know this, they just think that the cult has kidnapped her. Though they suspect things might not be quite as they seem. Also they have one new character. One player's character died in the previous session, and they're now playing a hot-headed fire sorcerer. Before this (and when the GM designed the scenario) the party had no AoE to speak off. They have a clever plan to get in unnoticed, but due a series of unlucky rolls and perhaps some bad decisions they get discovered just as they're about to enter the main chamber where the cultists are gathered for some sort of ritual. Unbeknownst to characters, one of the hooded cultist is the PCs sister. Some characters, including the one looking for his sister would want to negotiate, but the sorcerer, assuming that battle is about to ensue and seeing several cultist clumped together decides to take out as many of them as they can and unleashes a fireball. This fireball is powerful enough to kill any cultist who fails their save. Let's also assume that it is an established rule in this group that only PCs get death saves, and any non-PC who runs out of hit points is dead.

Assuming the GM has predetermined which cultist is the sister and she is in the fireball's area, is it force if they fudge her saving throw so that she survives? Or what if they simply 'switch' her with insignificant cultist that is standing on the edge of the room and thus are not hit? Or what if the GM designed the sisters location to be quantum cultist in the first place? Whichever cultist survives is revealed to be the character's sister when it is most appropriate? Which of these are force, and is any of this a bad thing?

And yes, I am sure the need to use force could have been avoided with better foresight, but as we now, that doesn't always happen.

I get it....it's a kind of sympathetic thing to do. But as a player I almost always pick up on that, and it's dissatisfying.

I have to say that this is almost certainly a confirmation bias. You only know of the instances you noticed it! For example in the above scenario all examples of GM chicanery would be pretty much completely undetectable to the players.

And whenever I (rarely) use something forceish, it is almost always just changing some things the players didn't know of in the first place.

I didn't read that as giving all the information up front. I thought it was the NPC allies' info, and the types of creatures that the Kraken and its tentacles counted as. Certainly the types of creatures give us an indication....like as a Solo monster, the Kraken is likely to have a high number of hit points and so on. But I don't think the stat block of the monsters were shared.

I mean if we are talking about GM misleading the players, to me it would be far more questionable to GM to say that a creature is level one minion whereas in reality they're level ten solo controller, than just relay the what the characters see and that turning out not to be the whole truth.

Last edited:

By "backstory" I am meaning background, setting, "the world" - your factions and lizardfolk in hex 23 and the like.

And when I talk about prioritising backstory, which I think is pretty much the essence of a sandbox, I am referring to two things:

(1) The canonical way of establishing situation is that the players declare an action - like moving to hex 23 - which "activates" a situation latent in the pre-authored backstory.

(2) Backstory is a significant constraint on framing and on action resolution - (1) can't work without this (2). Eg if the PCs use divination to scry on hex 23, the answer to what they find is worked out by checking the backstory; or if the PCs ask a NPC what might be found in hex 23, and persuade the NPC to tell the truth, then (i) either the pre-authored notes or some random gen method is used to work out what the NPC knows, and then that is used to provide the response that the PCs (and hence players) receive.

Ron Edwards gives an account here of how to integrate this sort of setting with "story now" play; but it looks pretty different from typical sandboxing. I think it could be used in Apocalypse World play if all the PCs were in the same hardhold. One interesting thing he says is this:

embrace the fullest and most extreme rules-driven consequences of every single resolved conflict, no matter what they are. Show those consequences and treat them as the material of the moment in the very next scenes, every time. . . .​
Games vary a lot regarding the formal consequences upon a setting, which I’ll discuss a bit later. For now, merely keep in mind that your immediate location for play was “made to be broken,” and be willing to display the stages of its breaking with every game session. If the game doesn’t have any mechanical way to express this, then do it anyway based on what’s happened so far.​

I think a game played in this way is going to look different from what would normally be presented as a "living sandbox".

The way Edwards describes story before games seems consistent with how adventure paths and pre-written scenarios are meant to play out, in that it is defined as "meaning the basic course of events is pre-conceived and treated as something to be implemented" in which the GM is responsible for such things as "Sequence and climax," "Staying on track," "Staying on schedule." So the experience of a kind of reactive sandbox that @FrogReaver and I are attempting to describe may fall under the description of "story before," but strike me anyway as quite different than the type of game Edwards describes here. He doesn't really talk about it much here except a bit at the end, but I would have thought that sandbox-style games (including the classic hexcrawls and megadungeons) would correspond more to "story after."

(incidentally, this makes me realize again why I have trouble with Edward's frameworks, to the extent that I've encountered them, because they seem most interested and keen to separating story now from not-story now, even though they are presented as neutral and universal.)

Remove ads