• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Respect Mah Authoritah: Thoughts on DM and Player Authority in 5e

pemerton

Legend
I described your excerpts as producing something very similar to living sandbox play. You seem to now be shifting to talking about the game as a whole and not just the play excerpts. Those are 2 different things to discuss, yes?
I am talking about play. You seem to be talking only about the fiction produced.

Knowing what fiction resulted from a session of RPG play tells us almost nothing about what the play experience was like. What makes this obvious is that any given bit of fiction could be produced by the GM just railroading the players through it.

My play reports don't just state the fiction. They set out the processes of play. And I think it's fairly clear how these differ from a living sandbox. The most important difference, for present purposes, is that the GM does not extrapolate situations (both their framing, and what is at stake) from pre-authored setting/backstory; and does not generate consequences by naturalistic extrapolation.

And thus the story unfolds.

Tirga wants to avenge his brothers death. He's been searching for information about the killer all his life. He's turned to adventuring hoping to leverage his associations in that line of work to gain favor with whoever knows or has the power to find out who killed his brother. So far it's all been dead ends, but there might be a chance now. Herkes has approached him talking of a brewing faction war and asking for him to aid his faction in a raid on their adversaries supplies. Tirga sees the opportunity here as an event as world changing as a faction war can loosen the lips of those that hold information in exchange for some services. He tells Herkes he's willing to help but only for the identity of his brothers killer. This time Herkes agrees to part with the information after the job is complete. Tirga goes on the raid has success (probably a whole session goes into planning and executing this raid). He learns the identity of his brothers killer. (*made up excerpt for illustration).
And this is Exhibit A. This is fiction, but tells us nothing about play. Who established that Tirga's brother died? Is the "searching all his life" and the "so far it's all been dead ends" something that has been played, or is it just pre-play background? Who established Tirga's associations? Who decides that Herkes approaches Tirga? That there is a brewing faction war? Who decides the information that Herkes imparts after the successful raid?

And as well as all those "who" questions, there are corresponding "how" questions. For instance, is the information about who the killer is read from notes? Made up via a random roll? A consequence following from a check - and if so, a failed or a successful check?

Hooks as you call them only work if players get what they want out of them. Hooks drive play toward the player achieving his goals (or at least can). Whereas you seem to call them hooks as if they are a form of railroading or gentleman's agreement where the goal of your backstory is simply to provide the GM with potential adventuring hooks so that your PC fictionally has a reason to get aboard the railroad (or linear story if we are being nicer to that playstyle).
I don't fully follow this.

The way I have referred to player-authored hooks is that they give the GM material to use in framing, and in consequence narration. They aren't connected to "railroading" - you can see the way it works in the example of play with Thurgon meeting Rufus. The key "fork-in-the-road" moments are the Circles check (if that had failed, it might have been an angrier Rufus; or maybe "the master", whoever that is!); and Thurgon's Command check (if that had succeeded, then Rufus would probably have been brought over to Thurgon's cause, rather than slinking off cowed and resentful).

I think the backstory first really is a call out to map and key play. At least that's the platonic ideal of it as presented here. Maybe we should start here, do you believe any D&D play isn't map and key play? Because if not that underlying idea is shaping this whole discussion and it needs explicitly talked about if so.
Map-and-key is probably the most paradigmatic example of backstory first. It's not the only one.

Living sandbox is also backstory first: the central method of framing is to extrapolate from the GM's setting material to work out what would be happening here-and-now. And reference to that material is an important input into action resolution: for instance, it's by reference to that material that the GM decides that the faction will provide information to the PC if the PC first raids the outpost.

(I mean, I guess a GM could just be making that all up as they go along rather than working from notes. But in that case, what possible reason does the GM have to defer engagement with the player's preferred concern - the hunt for the killer - and instead send play on a detour via the outpost?)

Duel of wits is just a persuasion check. At the core that's all it is.
This is obviously wrong!

If persuasion checks happened anytime the players desired then they would be essentially the same. But 5e does have one bit of mechanics that's different and that's the mechanic that the GM decides whether to have such a check in the first place.
Here we start to see one way in which it's wrong - in D&D the player doesn't have the power to call for a Persuasion check.

there's nothing stopping a GM in D&D from saying, I'll have my NPC's be potentially persuadable to any 'good faith', 'genre appropriate' and 'preestablished fiction' appropriate attempt. Excludes things like using Persuasion to get the King to give non-noble you his crown.
This will quickly lead to a second difference - what are the stakes for a persuasion check? What happens to the PC, and hence the player, if it fails?

Are there profound differences of play between story now games?

<snip>

If so why doesn't your explanation care about these profound differences?
@Manbearcat has already posted a bit about this. In this thread I've talked about differences between PbtA ("if you do it, you do it") and BW ("intent and task"). I've talked about "vanilla narrativism" using AD&D and RM. I've given examples of non-backstory-first exploration-rather-than-story-now play (from 4e and Classic Traveller play).

Your post prompted me to go back and find some of my older posts (2013-14) comparing social skill challenges to Duel of Wits resolution:
I enjoyed the review. I have a copy of this module [UK1] but have never run it, and suspect I have not even read it all the way through.

In your review you say, I think correctly, that "the structures known to the designers" weren't up to the demands of this adventure. But I would want to add: I don't think that traditional D&D has action resolution mechanics that are up to those demands either. Without thinking it through fully, it seems like an adventure that would benefit from a skill challenge or Duel of Wits (from Burning Wheel) framework whereby, in the course of negotiation, players can find their PCs burdened with obligations that they are not mechanically free to ignore.
What is an appropriate result if there are 0 failures? 1 failure? 2 failures? All count as a successful result so the king's mind is changed, but what level of consequence is appropriate for the accumulated failures?

<snip>

On the reverse side, what happens if the PCs fail, but have achieved 5 successes? Should there be a difference compared to if they failed to achieve any successes at all?
The assumption (I think) is that this will be determined on an ad hoc basis from challenge to challenge. For instance, sometimes each failure causes damage/HS loss. But not always. In a social situation it is likely that each success will bring forth something of significance (eg information, or an offer or a threat). These changes in the fiction are what they are regardless of whether the challenge is a success.

In practice I find this can produce something like the compromise results of a BW Duel of Wits.
Skill challenges are also a distinctive approach to complex scene resolution, which have weaknesses compared to some others (in particular, the absence of active opposition can create framing challenges for the GM) but strengths also (once the GM overcomes the framing challenges, skill challenges are less vulnerable to a dropping out of fictional positioning than simple opposed-check systems like HeroWars/Quest extended contests or the BW Duel of Wits).
a skill challenge has no active opposition; hence, the opposition has to come from the GM's narration. Because the fictional situation will be changed by the consequences of the players' successful checks, this means that - at least in a challenge of complexity greater than 1 or 2 - some of that GM narration of opposition is going to have to build on that new fictional situation created by those successful checks.

A simple example: the PCs are caught in a rockslide. One player makes an Athletics check to have his/her PC jump up onto a sheltered ledge: success! But now the PC is stuck on a ledge behind a wall of rocks, and so has to find a way out. (STR for pushing, Acro for squeezing or Perception to find a secret door Tintin-style are the options that come immediately to my mind.) I think it was the failure to factor in these sorts of changes in fictional situation that led to some of the WotC examples seeming so static, and amounting to nothing but a series of dice rolls.
Now, to what extent can goals crystallise or even change over the course of a skill challenge? (Or similar complex conflict resolution system.) I suspect that views and approaches differ. In Burning Wheel, for instance, the stakes in a Duel of Wits are set up front, and can't be changed part way through, at least as the rules are written. For my own part, in lengthy social skill challenges in 4e, I typically allow the first part of the challenge to help set the scene in more detail and help focus the action on the ultimate stakes, and then use the final few checks to hone in on those stakes and see how they end up being resolved. I like the pacing effects of this approach, especially because a skill challenge (unlike, say, a DoW in BW) does not have active opposition, and so this sort of "firming up" of the goals and stakes can be a substitute for active opposition in contributing to drama and a sense of rising tension.
These bring out the importance of stakes-for-failure. And the last couple of posts are from a thread that has a lot that is interesting i the context of this thread - including a discussion of "living sandbox" methods used to resolve an attempt by the PCs to have a NPC chamberlain obtain an audience for them with the king. The difference from a "situation first" approach - in particular, the use of backstory - comes through clearly in those posts.

Now if you're saying that 5e D&D might be used to run a "situation first" rather than "backstory first" game, then I take it you're agreeing with what I posted way upthread:
I don't agree. I've run AD&D quite successfully using shared backstory authority (especially in PC build, but also the GM taking suggestions from players on the way through) and GM authority over situation/scene-framing.

I don't see why 5e D&D couldn't be run the same way if a group wanted to do so.
But this wouldn't be "living sandbox" as I understand it, because the preeminent role of GM setting/backstory material would be dropped.

In reviewing that old fighter-vs-spellcaster thread, I also came across this:
This is related to my discussion, upthread, of Rolemaster PC sheets. The best way for the player of the character with only Duping and Lie Perception as social skills to impact a social scene via his PC is to dissimulate while "reading" his target. The best way for the player of the character with only Leadership as a strong social skill to impact the same scene is to try and take charge. The best way for the player of the character with decent Amiability to impact the same scene is to be friendly, and evince a readiness to give and take. The mechanics encourage the players, in playing their PCs so as to impact the scene, to give expression to distinctive personalities.

It also relates to my comments upthread about 4e dwarves. The fact that a 4e dwarf has resistance to forced movement and gets saves against being knocked prone (and hence potentially overrun) gives the player of a dwarf a mechanical incentive to try and impact the situation by holding the line. Which then gives expression to the well-known trope of dwarves as steadfast and resolute.

<snip>

You can see another instance if you look at the PC sheet I posted. The character has strong Intimidate and Diplomacy but comparatively weak Insight. He is overbearing but lacks empathy and understanding of the motives, particularly the more subtle motives, of others. For that to come out in play, all I have to do is play him off the sheet!, deploying the resources it gives me. And that is a deliberate design choice on my part in building this character - I think issues of nobility vs humility are at the core of playing a paladin (they're not all that's at that core, but they're definitely there).
It's interesting for two reasons:
(1) First, it shows how PC build techniques that have their origins in rules-heavy "simulationist" RPGing (RM, Champions and the like) can be adapted for more character-driven, "story now" play.

(2) It helps us see how PC build rules intersect with the relationship between "story now" and "neotrad" RPGing. This is something that @Campbell in particular posts about very passionately! The more the expression of character is "locked in" and unchanging, the less we get of intense character development play, and the more we get predetermined character arc play. 4e allows for the former via re-training. And I can't imagine I'm the only person ever to have had a PC change race, or Paragon Path, during play, even though the retraining rules don't technically allow for that. 4e facilitates this because of its symmetry/uniformity of PC build, and the relative lack of dependence of idiosyncrasies of PC build on the details of play.

In RM and BW, there is less of the "retraining" style of change - ie substituting equivalent build elements - though BW does have rules for voting traits on and off, that's quite a bit different. But both allow the player to shape the character in new ways in response to the way play is unfolding - RM via skill development choices, and BW via checks to open new skills or advance existing one.

There is less opportunity to do this in AD&D, which is one of the hurdles that situation-first story-now AD&D play will have to get over.

I suspect that 5e is closer to AD&D than to 4e or RM in this particular respect, but don't know it well enough to make a super-confident judgement.

pemerton

Legend
Can 5e D&D be used to play situation-first, story now? My feeling - @Ovinomancer's concerns about system robustness notwithstanding - is yes. It will have similar problems to AD&D and RM, maybe a few of its own, but also brings a few resources of its own to the table (eg backgrounds; bonds/ideals/flaws).

Will it give a full Burning Wheel experience? Probably not. Could it be fun? I think so.

Is playing 5e D&D in the sort of way just described the same as running a "living sandbox"? No. GM backstory and setting won't be doing the same work.

My personal experience, based on RM play but with the thought that 5e play needn't be too different in this particular respect, is that there is a tension between trying to adhere to living sandbox techniques and trying to run situation-first, story now. And that the natural solution to that tension is to gradually let the backstory/setting stuff go.

Part of that is also developing a sense - which is probably fairly table-specific - of what is permissible as framing or corralling a scene into shape (eg "No, when you search the <safe and/or boring place> you don't find the <interesting, dangerous stuff> - now let's move onto this <interesting, potentially dangerous> new scene".) BW needs much less of this, because of various mechanical features it has (Wises, Circles, etc). Prince Valiant needs less of this too, because of how it so resolutely pushes play away from detail and minutiae. AD&D, RM and I suspect 5e, on the other hand, love detail and minutiae and don't have the BW tools and so table consensus, with the GM sometimes taking a firm hand, becomes more important.

Is a GM's firm hand different from railroading? I think it can be. But as I said, it's going to be very table-specific.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
IMO. There's not a single thing that doesn't impact play experience.

Fiction
Genre
Mechanics
Verisimilitude
DM/Player principles (or lack thereof)
Pacing
Framing
Other Players
The DM
Random Dice Results
Etc.

What this implies is that play experience is dependent on the specific instance of play we are examining.

I can then analyze a specific instance of the game along many different lines (some examples)

Correctness
1. Does this game instance adhere to GM/Player principles if there are any
2. Were the mechanics handled correctly
3. Does it adhere to the agreed upon genre

Atypical Randomness
1. Were there any outliers in expected random behavior (rolling a high number of successes or failures in a short time span)

Etc.

But in the end it's the holistic 'everything' that really determines play experience of a particular instance of a game. Which kind of makes me wonder - what exactly is play experience analysis supposed to tell us? Is it so we can say how a typical instance of a game should play (in descriptive terms)? If that's what play experience analysis is for then I submit that there are games out there that are too flexible to be able to answer 'how a typical instance of that game should play'.

So I would say we need to come up with a framework for 'flexible game' analysis. How do we approach that problem in a constructive way? I would think we need to define some descriptive categories of the 'types of games' that can be produced via the 'flexible game'. After we have those categories we can analyze the play experience for games that perfectly match the platonic ideal categories. Then hopefully the system isn't too chaotic such that games that nearly match that platonic ideal category but with a few changes still play very similar to other games in that category. This would need validated at some point.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
IMO. There's not a single thing that doesn't impact play experience.

Fiction
Genre
Mechanics
Verisimilitude
DM/Player principles (or lack thereof)
Pacing
Framing
Other Players
The DM
Random Dice Results
Etc.

What this implies is that play experience is dependent on the specific instance of play we are examining.

I can then analyze a specific instance of the game along many different lines (some examples)

Correctness
1. Does this game instance adhere to GM/Player principles if there are any
2. Were the mechanics handled correctly
3. Does it adhere to the agreed upon genre

Atypical Randomness
1. Were there any outliers in expected random behavior (rolling a high number of successes or failures in a short time span)

Etc.

But in the end it's the holistic 'everything' that really determines play experience of a particular instance of a game. Which kind of makes me wonder - what exactly is play experience analysis supposed to tell us? Is it so we can say how a typical instance of a game should play (in descriptive terms)? If that's what play experience analysis is for then I submit that there are games out there that are too flexible to be able to answer 'how a typical instance of that game should play'.
The answers to your questions are:
what exactly is play experience analysis supposed to tell us?
What is happening in this example of play. Where authorities exist and how they are deployed and what effect that has in the game example.

Is it so we can say how a typical instance of a game should play (in descriptive terms)?
No. It's so we can say what happened in the play of the game. Then individual people can decide if they like it or not.
So I would say we need to come up with a framework for 'flexible game' analysis. How do we approach that problem in a constructive way? I would think we need to define some descriptive categories of the 'types of games' that can be produced via the 'flexible game'. After we have those categories we can analyze the play experience for games that perfectly match the platonic ideal categories. Then hopefully the system isn't too chaotic such that games that nearly match that platonic ideal category but with a few changes still play very similar to other games in that category. This would need validated at some point.
This is imagining that there's some special kind of game, presumably the game you favor, that requires special handling in analysis because reasons. These reasons seems to just be an assertion that there's such a thing as a flexible game compared to, I guess, inflexible games, and that whatever game you prefer must therefore be flexible? It's an odd argument. Especially since the analyses presented to you throughout this thread do a good job of providing insight into what's happening in a given play example for the things being analyzed.

This is a muddled mess. You're creating a category of games you call flexible without explaining why they are flexible outside of that they could be drifted to meet multiple play agendas. Okay, this isn't new, or special, or unique, and is not a block to the types of analyses being deployed by others in this thread. You then go on to claim that new categories need to be created to define the play agendas that these flexible games can create. To sum this up, some analyses are pointing out clear differences in approach and methods of play, but you're dismissing these because games can be flexible and so cannot be analyzed this way because they defy such categorizations. Then you propose that new categorization be created -- I'm going out on a limb here and saying that you think "living world" sandboxes need to be such a category -- so that analysis can be properly done. And you do this without once actually refuting or rebutting the analyses that have been presented, at least successfully. I must admit you've killed many digital trees with various gish gallops, false equivalencies, and strawmen (not to mention the occasional ad hominin).

A game that is extremely driftable (like 5e) is prone to mid-session incoherency of table expectations. Consequently, it is MORE imperative in such a game that what is happening is table-facing.

My advice to GMs and players who are running 5e would be to always keep the meta-conversation open.

* If the players are expecting skilled play to govern whether they can woo an NPC (eg the Social Interaction mechanics of 5e is basically a game of Charades + Wheel of Fortune) and the GM's unrevealed backstory makes it impossible for the PCs + the GM hasn't made a sufficiently telegraphed soft move as to why this NPC is not wooable...

...Houston...we have a problem.

* If the players are expecting Genre Logic + Intent and Task resolution + Fail Forward to govern action resolution and the GM is all..."nah, process simulation where failure is (a) task-driven and (b) hard failure..."

* If the player is expecting Story Now priorities to govern the deployment of a Background Trait (they're the player deploying their dramatic need driven fiat that is embedded into their character build and now the gamestate says <whatever is inherent to the trait> and the GM has to honor that and evolve the fiction accordingly...except the GM is all "nah, unrevealed backstory says this Trait doesn't work now" or "nah, I don't like how this perturbs my metaplot or the AP's metaplot..."

* If the players are expecting that skilled play governs if a Long Rest has been earned and thusly the gamestate going into the BBEG showdown should be <group is fully recharged> and the GM is all "nah, I don't like the way that screws up the drama of the BBEG fight" or "nah, unrevealed backstory (that wasn't sufficiently telegraphed with a soft move where players could draw the inference says this BBEG has a contingency plan that says x bad thing happens that offsets the players new fully-charged status..."

There are dozens and dozens of varying instantiations of the above lurking in any given 5e game if the metachannel isn't open. You can't just drift from Vanilla Story Now to GM Force to Skilled Play to Process Simulation over Genre Logic to arbitrary Hard Fail vs Fail Forward to GM/AP Story Hour etc.

If you (the GM) just arbitrarily (meaning the system gives neither structure nor overt, principled constraint on GM drifting play) drift play AND its not a table full of Participationists (players just happy to be there and let the GM control the trajectory of play as they passively consume the story/tour the setting)...

...be prepared for hard feelings and problems.

Hence, keep the metachannel open (eg overtly and unmistakably signal this drift in some way).

Last edited:

pemerton

Legend
Here is the last actual play report of AD&D that I posted, about 5 years ago.

I think that reading that makes it pretty clear who exercised what sort of authority over the shared fiction.

I really don't understand why similar sorts of reports aren't possible for 5e play. (@Ovinomancer posted one upthread, about the Sigil skill challenge with The Butcher.)

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Here is the last actual play report of AD&D that I posted, about 5 years ago.

I think that reading that makes it pretty clear who exercised what sort of authority over the shared fiction.

I really don't understand why similar sorts of reports aren't possible for 5e play. (@Ovinomancer posted one upthread, about the Sigil skill challenge with The Butcher.)
I've copied the excerpt over and will walk through it.

We had our last RPG session for the year yesterday. Because some players couldn't make it, and we had a visitor from overseas, we decided to play a session of AD&D instead of one of our usual games.

Over the past several years I've been gradually writing up a AD&D variant, distilling the rules out of Gygax's PHB and DMG in a comprehensible form, and modifying classes to incorporate the best of UA and OA, to eliminate multi-classing, and to get them all on a common XP table. We used these rules to run the game.
I notice the mention of house rules here - but the explicit house rules aren't mentioned here.
There were 4 PCs: a NE half-orc fighter (two-handed sword specialist, looking for loot); a LN human cleric (plate, shield and war hammer, looking for ancient scrolls of his order believed to be in the dungeon); a LE elvish warrior mage (as part of my class revisions restricted to lighter armours, so wearing studded leather and carrying a longsword and longbow; he memorised a light spell); and a TN human monk (with darts for throwing like a ninja, plus martial arts for melee purposes). The latter two characters had no obvious motivation for entering the dungeon, but we didn't dwell too much on these petty details!
I'll take note of the clerics backstory because it comes up later. The last line here is interesting because while you call the backstory details petty they do seem to drive your improvisation later.
Not wanting a TPK as the first order of business, the PCs all started at 2nd level.
1. I notice you have no explanation of who made this decision, DM, players, or if it was a table negotiated decision.
2. If the decision was made by the DM were the players aware of why they were starting at level 2?
3. Was this decision made before or after the dungeon and it's inhabitants were created?
I rolled the dungeon using Appendix A: Random Dungeon Generation, and Appendix C for wandering monsters and room inhabitants (I used a 1 in 6 per 3 turns rule for wanderers; and just now I'm remembering that I didn't enforce a rest requirement, although as I now think about it I'm not 100% sure that's part of AD&D as opposed to Moldvay Basic).

I discovered that Appendix A gives you lots of branching corridors, many doors that lead to more corridors, and many empty rooms. So there was a lot of mapping, but relatively few encounters.
1. Dungeon was procedurally created by DM and Appendix A+C. I'm curious if parts of it were created during play or all before (no specification).
2. Only the DM knows how the Dungeon was created - meaning a player telling of this adventure couldn't provide this integral detail.
I rolled ear seekers as a wandering monster but the PCs didn't listen at the nearby door.
Only the DM would know this information.
There was one room with 4 firebeetles, and an iron chest with 750 cp and 100 pp; there was then a wandering fire beetle, obviously split up from its friends. This was the main haul for the session.
Fictional details that were randomly generated (someone more familiar with the game could maybe say if this was a easy or difficult encounter and if that was a good treasure haul or not - both potentially important details for understanding the play experience).

After the fire beetles, the PCs encountered a one-way door at the end of a dead-end corridor, but couldn't break through it. (I allowed a bend bars roll to force the door, using the iron chest as a battering ram; but all failed.)
You've listed no explanation on how the check to determine success or failure worked, nor if the players would have known how such a check worked.

The PCs then found an octagonal room, which was inscribed with strange runes and sigils (an ad lib by me, not coming from the random tables). The cleric cast Know History, and learned that the sigils were sigils of Chaos, and that the octagon (and other figures featuring the number 8, like 8 crossed arrows) was a sign of Chaos. The chaotic origins of the dungeon also explained its weird architecture, and suggested that the scrolls of Law that the cleric was looking for must have been taken here as loot or for destruction by the chaotics.
Here we see the information the PC learns ties directly into his backstory. There's a clear indication that you moved away from the procedures you were relying on for the rest of the dungeon. You've given no explanation for why. You didn't explain when you determined the sigils were sigils of chaos.

And more importantly, would the players have known about any of the behind the scenes decision making processes you were using?

*I'll try to get to the rest of the excerpt later.

But as you can see so far, the excerpt you've provided leaves alot of key analysis and play experience questions unanswered. And if you weren't the DM there would be so little mechanical information that such an excerpt would look mostly like just the fiction - something I've been criticized of focusing on.

Looking for another path to the other side of the one-way door, the PCs found a door that opened onto a floor with a hidden pit (the monk detected it with a Find Traps roll) and a door immediately beyond it. In the pit, of course, was the dessicated carcass of a fire beetle (another GM ad lib). The PCs used the iron chest as a step to get down into the bit, and then stand at the other side to try and force open the far door. When the half-orc eventually succeeded at this, 11 giant rats (wandering monsters) came running through a door: the front line of rats fell into the pit, though enough survived to give rise to an epic battle with the monk who was down there, and then the cleric who climbed down to join in the excitement; the half-orc dealt with the face-biting rats in the doorway but (despite a to-hit chance of around 50%) was failing to deal with them, and in the end was reduced to 0 hp - once the half-orc fell into the pit, the warrior mage was able to shoot the last rat with an arrow without risking shooting a PC in the head.

Binding the half-orc's wounds restored him to 1 hp (a house-rule gloss on the AD&D falling unconscious rules, adapted from the WSG - binding wounds restores 1d3 hp), and he was able to hobble out accompanied by his friends. Unfortunately for the PCs, at the entrance to the dungeon - a square shaft, open to the sky and with stairs running up to the surface (this was my interpretation of the centre of starting point (1) in Appendix A) - were 8 orcs demanding the party's loot as ransom.

The half-orc was not able to negotiate, given his condition, but the elf had a go (penalised for racial antipathy) and failed, so combat ensued. The orcs only had one archer and one crossbow-wielder, and between a Light spell, archery and darts the PCs were able to kill blind one and kill two, thereby forcing a morale check, which failed. (And the monk ruthlessly pursued and killed the blind orc too.)

The PCs then returned to their village, where 5 hours rest enabled the cleric to memorise 4 Cure Light Wounds spells and thereby heal the warrior mage to full hp. Conveniently, one of the players had to go, leaving 3 to play the three remaining PCs (the half-orc player took charge of the cleric instead) to sally back in the next day.

Because the half-orc was the original mapper, and (being NE) hadn't handed over his map, there was some initial confusion and time lost trying to find their way back to the rat pit. But they found their way there, crossed over it using a rope and grapple, and then went on to find another room with no exits. Searching for secret doors revealed two of them; and a 6 on the wandering monster die enabled me to reveal the location of the third secret door, as the group of orcs - reinforced to a total of 11 - came into the room to seek their revenge. (The orcs were rolled, but it was GM fiat that decided they would be the same ones as the previous day.)

The cleric made an overbearing check to drive the lead orc back into the door, and then the cleric and warrior mage held the entrance so that the orcs couldn't all attack at once (though the orcs with spear were able to attack from the second rank). This looked like it had all the makings of a TPK, but lucky rolling by the players and some judicious Cure spells from the cleric kept the PCs up. (I think they would have survived even without the spells, but they would have felt more vulnerable, which could of course have infected their dice!)

At that point we had to end up. I didn't calculate XP, but with 570 from treasure (750 cp, 100 pp, 18 ep from the first lot of dead orcs, 17 gp from selling the iron chest, plus as-yet undetermined treasure from the second lot of orcs - 22d6 ep) plus 5 fire beetles, 6 giant rats and 19 orcs (but with XP for one beetle and the rats reduced due to being out-classed by the PCs) the XP haul is not all that grand.

I'm not sure if we'll ever come back to this, so whether or not there is another path around to the one-way door may never be discovered. For those of us with classic D&D experience, there was a fair bit of recollection of frustration with mapping, and the relative randomness of resolution. One of the group has been playing with us for nearly 20 years but has never played classic D&D before - at one point, as he was making some roll or other for his monk, he noticed that the resolution systems (X in 6 to open doors, d20 to hit, % chance to climb, etc) all seemed quite different, and queried why this should be so.

I think if I was going to try AD&D again I would really need to put the effort in to designing a more interesting dungeon - the number of empty rooms was a real issue. On the other hand, a greater density of inhabitants increases the proportion of combat to exploration and the likelihood of a TPK, so I'm not sure that that is a straightforward solution. And increasing the "story" elements (eg chaotic sigils and ancient scrolls) tends to push things in a direction that other systems are probably better at. So, in the end, I'm not sure that this sort of classic D&D is the best fit for our group.

Remove ads