D&D 5E Respect Mah Authoritah: Thoughts on DM and Player Authority in 5e

It's funny - I really like some systems that give players a lot of narrative control, like Blades in the Dark, but when I'm playing D&D I much prefer to know that I am playing my character, not any part of the wider world.
As a player, my sense of immersion is dispelled if I know or control the game world beyond what my PC knows and controls. I don’t want to peek behind the curtain or pull levers - I want the illusion to feel real.

Oofta

Legend
Not what I said. I said we were done if they said 'because I'm the DM'. If they say it works that way, fine. there's a reason and if I cast levitate, I get a flying horse.

If they just excuse doing whatever because they're the DM, or starts talking about their authority, or declares they're in charge, or says anything regarding their way in relation to a highway, then we're done. There's a guy in our group that doesn't get to DM for us because his head's too big for it.
I don't believe in trigger words, but basically if the DM says "Yeah, I know" or "In this case it does" I don't see that the specific wording matters.

The point is if a DM says levitation, or any other ruling I disagree with, works that way then it does as far as I'm concerned. They don't have to explain it, they don't have to justify it, I don't personally have to agree with their reasoning. They may not be the boss of me or my PC, but they are the boss of the rules at the table as far as I'm concerned.

I really don't see what option there is. If you don't agree with the DM's final call, you either accept the DM or you walk. What else are you going to do?

jgsugden

Legend
At my tables, my players control their voluntary actions. I control everything else, including involuntary actions of the PCs. However, I allow suggestions and go with the idea that will be most fun for the players (generally). If the players suggest something and there is a chance it could happen, I often turn to the dice to ask them to resolve the issue rather than just making the decision that it does or does not happen.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Another common aspect, thus far missed in this thread (I think), is that in a great many cases the DM doesn't just run the game but also hosts it in his/her/their home.

This hosting aspect brings a whole other set of social expectations, rights, and responsibilities into the mix; along with adding another low-grade amount of authority that extends beyond the game table.

Oofta

Legend
Strange, I would allow the player to try. That players roll an actual natural 20? I would say, you run, run and run, a small tornadoes is about to form, but you reach the end of your allotted move and the tornadoe falls back to ground after it reach a full inch in height. Not bad, maybe with a haste spell you could have achieve two inches...

I never say no, no matter how ridiculous the attempt is. I once had a barbarian that wanted to jump over a chasm 100 feet wide... I said it would be almost impossible but he insisted. I let him try and guess what? He rolled a f***ing 20. But he fell down the chasm anyways. The player was from another table and he wanted to try mine.

I said, maybe with a jump spell you could have done it. But not by yourself. You knew the rules as much as I. This is on you. He accepted the result but he said that those things were common at his other group. That player is still playing with me 20 years later. But whenever he has a silly idea, which can be often, I just say like your jumping barbarian?

Yeah, I think I said something along the lines of "You may be fast but you aren't The Flash, it's not going to work". I suppose if he had insisted, I would have let him and then even if he rolled a 20 point out that we're playing D&D, not a super heroes game.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Another common aspect, thus far missed in this thread (I think), is that in a great many cases the DM doesn't just run the game but also hosts it in his/her/their home.

This hosting aspect brings a whole other set of social expectations, rights, and responsibilities into the mix; along with adding another low-grade amount of authority that extends beyond the game table.
Like I never get involved in the player discussion of whose turn it is to bring pizza* because we play at my house and I always have a fridge stocked with drinks and have other snacks available.

*and to be clear they argue over who gets to bring pizza, not that it isn't their turn.

Last edited:

Remove ads