• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Resurrection City III: The Breconshire Horrors

JimAde

First Post
[OOC: I'm a little confused as to where Trevor is and what time it is. I would like for him to spend a little more time with Langan. Trevor was in the Scots Guard himself and in addition feels sympathy for anyone whose family was touched by the Ripper horror. If possible, he'll take Langan to his club for a brandy and more conversation, telling the others to fee free to return to his townhouse whenever they like.]

Andrew D. Gable

First Post
We can do a bit of fudging with the timeline. If all else fails, perhaps we'll have to assume Diggory finishes up his research while all that goes on. Just so you're all back together by the time the train leaves. You have my word, I won't spring any funky stuff on you like in the first adventure. ;) Bottomline, if you want Trevor to do that, we'll do that.

JimAde

First Post
[OOC: Ok, sounds good to me. I'll just assume Trevor and Langan spend a pleasant evening at the club chatting and having a few drinks. I won't post again until the morning. My main goal is to establish a decent relationship with Langan and find out what I can about his aunt and uncle and why he thinks something nefarious is up with his uncle.]

Andrew D. Gable

First Post
Edward Langan and Trevor

"I can't explain fully," Edward says. "Not here. I received a letter from Uncle John a week back. A few days later, he arrived here in London with a... package. A large piece of stone, with a Latin inscription. I was hoping to find out about anything unusual he might've been mixed up in."

As to the Kellys, Trevor discovers through conversation that the majority of the family were a rather wealthy family who could trace their roots to the Irish kingdoms that existed in southern Wales during the Dark Ages. Apparently, the younger daughter, Mary, was always somewhat troubled psychologically. In 1873, she entered the employ of a doctor who travelled between Wales, England, and France. Sometime around 1880, she moved to London, and the family lost track of her until her death. The rest of the family was somewhat resentful of Mary, who had become a disgrace to them.

Last edited:

Andrew D. Gable

First Post
Scotland Yard: Diggory, Hewitt, and Bond

"I must admit, I'm not immediately familiar with any doctors whose surnames begin with V," says Dr. Bond.

"Nor I," concurs Dr. Hewitt, shaking his head. A strange look comes over him.

"We two shall first check London Hospital, and then Bethlehem Asylum," says Bond. "We'll let you know tomorrow what we find."

The doctors first examine records of doctors of all branches of medicine on staff during autumn of 1888, when Stephenson was at the hospital. Between the two, they record all the relevant names. Then they check the records at Bethlehem Asylum for when Dr. Bond estimates Mary's procedure was performed, and cross-reference the names.

One name comes back as having served at both -- a Dr. Samuel Verdain.

I'm not sure quite what Diggory wants to do during this time, just let me know.

Old Fezziwig

a man builds a city with banks and cathedrals
Diggory will check and see if there are any files on Roslyn d'Onston Stephenson at Scotland Yard. If there are, he spends the time examining those files. If not, he continues poring over the Ripper files, scouring them for any information on McCarthy. If that turns out to be uneventful, he'll see if he can look at the service record of Inspector Longtree at that time, provided, of course, that he can do that without Longtree finding out. Never much for research, Diggory is fairly thorough when he feels like it.

JimAde

First Post
Andrew D. Gable said:
"I can't explain fully," Edward says. "Not here. I received a letter from Uncle John a week back. A few days later, he arrived here in London with a... package. A large piece of stone, with a Latin inscription. I was hoping to find out about anything unusual he might've been mixed up in."

As to the Kellys, Trevor discovers through conversation that the majority of the family were a rather wealthy family who could trace their roots to the Irish kingdoms that existed in southern Wales during the Dark Ages. Apparently, the younger daughter, Mary, was always somewhat troubled psychologically. In 1873, she entered the employ of a doctor who travelled between Wales, England, and France. Sometime around 1880, she moved to London, and the family lost track of her until her death. The rest of the family was somewhat resentful of Mary, who had become a disgrace to them.
"What was this Latin inscription?" Trevor asks. "I seem to be running into quite a lot of them recently..."

Andrew D. Gable

First Post
Inspector Diggory

Kajamba Lion said:
Diggory will check and see if there are any files on Roslyn d'Onston Stephenson at Scotland Yard. If there are, he spends the time examining those files. If not, he continues poring over the Ripper files, scouring them for any information on McCarthy. If that turns out to be uneventful, he'll see if he can look at the service record of Inspector Longtree at that time, provided, of course, that he can do that without Longtree finding out.
The files contain a brief biography of Stephenson. He had joined up with the Italian Army under Garibaldi in 1860, and reached the rank of lieutenant. The biography's rather vague on his activities after he returned to London, although it is noted that he had an interest in the occult. In July of 1888 he was admitted to London Hospital suffering from a condition called neurasthenia. Then, in 1889, he was admitted again, with a more serious medical condition, a sort of partial paralysis. It does note that he was briefly suspected (as was everyone in the East End), but those suspicions were dispelled.

The only things on McCarthy that the files hold are small mentions of him made during the discovery of Kelly's body, and his testimony at the inquest.

Inspector Longtree's apparently had a sterling record. Unfortunately, more detailed information than that would require that Longtree himself become aware. But everything you can determine thus far is that he's never run into any sort of trouble.

Last edited:

Andrew D. Gable

First Post
Edward Langan and Trevor

JimAde said:
"What was this Latin inscription?" Trevor asks. "I seem to be running into quite a lot of them recently..."
Langan furrows his brow for a moment and rummages inside his coat pocket, pulling out a carefully folded slip of paper with something written on it in all capitals.

DEUM NODENTI, FLAVIUS SENILIS POSSUIT PROPTER NUPTIAS QUASUIDITS SUB UMBRA.

"My Latin's a bit rusty, Baron, but I believe it says something to the effect of 'The god Nodens, Flavius Senilis' -- which I'm assuming is a person -- something, something 'beneath the shadow'.

Old Fezziwig

a man builds a city with banks and cathedrals
Diggory takes extensive notes on all this information, breathing a sigh of relief at Longtree's sterling record -- Being paranoid again, Jamison, old lad. He returns the files to the clerk and heads home for the evening, letting anyone who's still about that he'll see them in the morning. Once home, he packs for the trip to Breconshire, eats a light dinner, and then settles down into a chair with a copy of Tennyson's Maud, set to read until he falls asleep. In the morning, he wakes, breakfasts quickly, making sure to give himself enough time that he will be arriving at Paddington Station at half past seven, assuming no trouble along the way.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads