• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Resurrection City

Andrew D. Gable

First Post
Hey guys,
Me and ShortAssassin were talking via e-mail and I've decided to let him in as another player. But nobody else (I still haven't heard from the Gaslight game, so I'll scrap that idea). He's going to go with an artilleryman. The artillery barracks were at the Tower of London. As there was talk among the police that Jack the Ripper could've been a soldier from the Tower barracks, and Inspector Diggory was in Whitechapel working the Ripper case at the time, maybe there's a connection between those two. But we'll let ShortAssassin decide.

BTW, Kajamba, Yeats is making good on his promise and inducting Inspector Diggory into the Golden Dawn. So you're now also known as Frater V.B.G.A. (Vita brevis, gloria aeternum). Yes, now you, too, have a nifty Golden Dawn name! And yes, that Latin phrase (life is short, glory is forever) is the motto on the coat of arms of my Welsh ancestors and the most barbarian-like words I've ever heard.

And lest I forget, each of you get 500 XP.

Last edited:

Old Fezziwig

a man builds a city with banks and cathedrals
Brilliant. Diggory is proud to be Frater V.B.G.A. :) As for the questions you've referred to in the IC thread, I can't seem to find the point where Diggory's said he has more, unless I'm missing something. Of course, I am trying to write a paper on Scorsese and Lacan so my attention really isn't quite on the boards right now.

[Edit: The whole "vita brevis" part of that reminds me of a phrase that kept on coming up in my Old English class, lif is sceort (life is short, although I may have mauled the spelling), which was pretty much an ethos for the Anglo-Saxons as far as I can tell.]

And, ShortAssassin, welcome aboard! :)

Best,
Nick

Last edited:

Andrew D. Gable

First Post
Kajamba Lion said:
As for the questions you've referred to in the IC thread, I can't seem to find the point where Diggory's said he has more, unless I'm missing something.

That's because now that I find it, it wasn't you who had them. I'll have to edit accordingly.

Working on finalizing the second adventure thread, I may even be able to get it up tonight yet.

Jarval

Explorer
Dr. Hewitt's questions:

What were the creatures that came into the manor? (Richard will be carrying out his own autopsy on the one left in the icebox, if it's still available.)

How much of magic is actually real? What can (and cannot) be accomplished through it's use?

Just what in God's name was that thing that looked like Arthur's grandfather?

What might the radix pedis diaboli be used for, and why was Thomas Pellgraine interested in it? Does it have any properties beyond the mundane ones of which Richard's aware?

And finally: If you Golden Dawn fellows ever need the help of a good doctor, my door's always open. Just try not to bring me anything too disturbing, there's a good chap? (Richard's not in anyway looking for membership to the Golden Dawn, but he does recognise a pool of well-heeled potential customers when he sees one... :D)

Andrew D. Gable

First Post
Answering more or less as Yeats would, just paraphrasing (what I'm saying is italicized:

Dr. Hewitt said:
What were the creatures that came into the manor? (Richard will be carrying out his own autopsy on the one left in the icebox, if it's still available.)
Creatures from the Astral, apparently, that came through the rift Thomas opened. Some people believe that localized rifts can open briefly from time to time, and that the creatures are what's responsible for some of the mysterious bites or scratches associated with poltergeists, or those occasions (I read about a few of these in Charles Fort) where a dead body is found covered in small wounds. Some, most notably those in the Golden Dawn, believe that the so-called 'psychic vampires' are types of those creatures as well. I honestly forgot about the one in the icebox. But it's still in fairly good shape, it hasn't vaporized or anything.

How much of magic is actually real? What can (and cannot) be accomplished through it's use?
Don't know fully, as we haven't yet experimented with everything. What we know so far indicates that many things can be accomplished, usually involving speaking with spirits (who sometimes claim to be ghosts, sometimes demons, sometimes angels, but extradimensional intelligences at any rate). Nearly every magical effect is believed to be merely an exercise of will (In game terms, nearly all magic is psychic in nature). But it's safe to say that the more spectacular things like turning lead to gold and calling down lightning are impossible. The magician is usually incapable of actually influencing the physical world, though he can affect the minds of people so that it seems as such (For example, the Golden Dawn version of invisibility was willing another person not to see the caster). More subtle things.

Just what in God's name was that thing that looked like Arthur's grandfather?
Apparently the Thief of Forms mentioned in the diary.

What might the radix pedis diaboli be used for, and why was Thomas Pellgraine interested in it? Does it have any properties beyond the mundane ones of which Richard's aware?
Among the West African natives, the predominant use of the root is in shamanic trances. They believe that the root allows them to see into the spirit world. Thomas may have utilized it in the early stages of the experiments with the Astral which eventually opened the rift. The root is usually not fatal, if used in small quantities and in a well-ventilated area - in the case of the Cornish Horror (The Adventure of the Devil's Foot, Doyle), the problem was that mass quantities of the root were used and the people saw too deeply into the Astral.

And finally: If you Golden Dawn fellows ever need the help of a good doctor, my door's always open. Just try not to bring me anything too disturbing, there's a good chap? (Richard's not in anyway looking for membership to the Golden Dawn, but he does recognise a pool of well-heeled potential customers when he sees one... :D)
Excellent. ;)

Last edited:

EB3

First Post
Awesome setting!

Thank-you, thank-you, thank-you!!! :D

I'm a huge fan of Victorian gaming, and look forward to reading your take!

Andrew D. Gable

First Post
Guys,
Just letting everyone know that what I've done to bring ShortAssassin in is I'm giving the sergeant his own storyline that'll eventually merge into yours. I'm giving all the posts on his storyline a header, though, so that you can keep them seperate.

ShortAssassin

First Post
What were the firearms possession laws c1893? Was it legal to carry guns, or was a license needed? Did the military (or ex-military i guess) get any sort of exemption?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads