• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Reviewing the Artificer

Benly

First Post
A wand with a sling attachment?

While it's conceptually entertaining, it doesn't address the basic problem I have with this incarnation: the reason wands and staves were the staple of the 3E artificer is that the artificer's schtick was making his own equipment by the bucketload and wands were easy and effective to make.
Departing from the 3E model of wands and crafting means that there is no element of artificing left in the use of wands, staves, and rods.

sukael

First Post
While it's conceptually entertaining, it doesn't address the basic problem I have with this incarnation: the reason wands and staves were the staple of the 3E artificer is that the artificer's schtick was making his own equipment by the bucketload and wands were easy and effective to make.
Departing from the 3E model of wands and crafting means that there is no element of artificing left in the use of wands, staves, and rods.

Unless they're wands, staves, or rods the artificer makes for himself with the appropriate ritual.

Andor

First Post
Okay this is just confusing.

Dragon said:
Shielding Cube Artificer Attack 1
You launch a miniscule cube covered in runes into the fray. The cube exudes an aura that bashes nearby foes and shields your allies.
Encounter ✦ Arcane, Artifice, Force, Implement
Standard Action R Ranged 10
Requirement: You must be wielding a ranged weapon.

Okay so you have to have an implement in one hand (say a wand), wield a ranged weapon in the other hand (Say a throwing hammer) and then toss the cube with your third hand! ... Wait...

IanB

First Post
Found it - something is eating my cookies on this machine so I wasn't signed in.

I am also mildly annoyed that you lose one of your race abilities to play a human artificer (only 2 at-wills presented)

As the article says we've only got one build's worth of abilities at the moment. The final class will have at least twice as many at-will powers I expect.

IanArgent

First Post
As the article says we've only got one build's worth of abilities at the moment. The final class will have at least twice as many at-will powers I expect.

Hence only mildly annoyed. I am building up a human artificer, and will do so even if I can't talk my DM into letting me have something as a third at-will

2eBladeSinger

First Post
The leader role needs healing according to the PHB. However, I agree that it should be somehow different – I like the idea of surge plus defense buff. I don’t think he ought to “throw tea at you”. It should probably incorporate an artifice somehow.

But speaking of artifices, I don’t quite understand how they are created. Are they created at the moment the power is used, like a free action or are they created at extended rests like the other materials? They can be reused if not destroyed, but what’s the point of being able to reuse one if they are created instantly? If they aren’t created instantly, then when are they created? Does it float? Does it take damage from AoE? Can someone else pick it up and run?

Repair Object… so it’s basically unlimited outside of combat? He can repair a nearly destroyed castle wall given he has enough time? Are there other ‘rotes’ out there in theory? Maybe via feat?

I don’t really understand his use of implements. Essentially, if he has one, he can use it’s magic enhancement on powers and use its daily (if it has it) – got it. What other benefit does it have for him? As someone said above, their awkward to use with a ranged weapon… put away implement (minor) reload crossbow (minor) use power (standard)… oops no more actions to move the artifice Why not have, instead, some kind of ‘artificer holy symbol’?

He should get a pet when they become available.

A lot of the powers are very controller, see Caustic Rampart, Predatory Shards

Earth’s Embrace should be called Bowling for Chumps

Benly

First Post
Unless they're wands, staves, or rods the artificer makes for himself with the appropriate ritual.

At which he is no better and than wizards, and like wizards he is likely to find that this gives him weaker wands than the ones he finds. The motivation for an artificer to actually Create Magic Items is as weak as it is for everyone else. I therefore strongly believe that their powers should have an "artificer-y" feel, rather than having them assumed to be artificing because it's magic through a wand.

Remove ads