• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Reviewing the Artificer

I have to say I find it strange that so many artificer abilities are based on ranged weapons.
Why do people keep asking this? Bow and crossbow Artificers were one of the three major artificer "builds" or options that Artificers supported in 3.x. The Artificer who uses an action point to infuse their crossbow with "bane weapon whatever the hell I'm fighting" was one of the quintessential Artificer actions, second only to wands of scorching ray or orb spells.
For one thing any artificer who takes them would simply have to get Weapon Proficiency (longbow) since one feat would increase most of his damage by a die and increase his range a lot.
15/30 to 20/40 is not "a lot", it's "a bit", considering the amount of implement powers they have, I don't see it being more common than the amount of Rogues taking rapier or cross prof.
The thing is that ranged weapon artificers really were one of the least favored builts back in 3.5. I would like to see a wand based artificer that uses implements for damage for one.
It was still a major build choice, and the primary means of damage for any Articers that didn't go all out blasticificer.
The artifice concept is great, and I wonder if it could possibly be adapted for homonculi, which were a great niche of the artificer and always interesting.

I will agree with the OP that the healing word concept is getting overused already. And that an artificer that focused on preventing damage or creating buffers like temporary hit points to absorb it, would serve as well as one that actually healed.
I would have trouble disagreeing more. Not only is the Artificer the first leader we've seen that gets an option to use their basic healing class feature for something besides the basic "use a surge, get an extra xd6 hp", but they get scarcely any actual healing powers as it is. They get no "heal by attacking powers" which even Paladins get, and only get three healing utilities, one of which gives regeneration and one of which has to be set up when taking a short rest, leaving the Arificer the choice of one possible true in combat healing power.

The Artificer is allready what you want it to be, and an Artificer without Restorative Formula would be unable to fulfil the basic functions of their role.
More powers that focus on buffing the gear of your allies is needed as well.
Well, I don't know about "need", there are a bunch of generic buffs which affect gear by fluff, and there's only so often you make your allies armour explode magic in your enemies faces, but sure, more would be a good thing.

Palladion

Adventurer
They have many controller abilities. But still at their core, they're a buffing class.

Something I noticed as well. This might be a sample of the dual role that druids are supposed to play (rumored as a striker and controller mix). It is a very different flavor than either cleric or warlord.

Palladion

Adventurer
Here's another thing I just thought of--the artificer as trapmaker.

Some of those "magic bolt" powers would be very interesting if there were a feat or utility power that allowed artificers to create a trap that does the same thing. A power that creates simple elemental traps would also be very much in keeping with the class.

There is a whole set of artificer powers that are not available in the playtest document. While the missing powers may not be "traps" per say, but thematically, the idea works. Maybe more static (or artifice-centered) zones for buff and de-buff (keeping with the mixed leader and controller theme).

GnomeWorks

Adventurer
:2: Replace "Healing Infusion" with a class ability that allows them to grant minor elemental resistances or defense bonuses on the fly. Otherwise, its structure can be similar: for example, it can still be usable 2/encounter and feats can still open up other uses. The basic ability should be something along the lines of granting 5/10/15 resistance at the three tiers.

This is a rather interesting idea.

I wonder if it would actually hold water...

IanArgent

First Post
If you can get in via authentic/true just highlight dragon magazine on side, click on features. That worked for me. Home doesn't work: error message, though gleemax does (for the past few weeks its mostly been the other way.)

Found it - something is eating my cookies on this machine so I wasn't signed in.

I am also mildly annoyed that you lose one of your race abilities to play a human artificer (only 2 at-wills presented)

zoroaster100

First Post
I agree that the healing power is too much like healing word and seems a bit forced. But I disagree that healing is not essential to a leader. A party simply is not as effective without healing. Having a leader in the party should mean the party has that role covered and there should be no need to have a cleric or warlord in the party if you have an artificer. Therefore, effective encounter healing powers are essential.

Zetesofos

Explorer
Perhaps the encounter healing class feature is a little forced, but for now, WotC 'knows' that it is a proven formula. It's probably why they gave us two uses for it, to see if Curative Admixture is just as effective, less so, or more so. On the one hand, I think a leader needs 'Some' per encounter healing of some amount. It might mean all the difference if you have a dying character, and can't spend the heal check to bring them back.

However, I would like to see a majority of the artificers healing come not through direct healing, but instead through temporary HP and regeneration. I could even imagine a class feature similar Healers Lore (i.e. You add your constitution modifier to any temporary hit points granted by an artificer power you use.)

fuindordm

Adventurer
OK, let's say that Game Balance demands a party member who can supply at least 3 surges per encounter. (I'm counting a surge+1d6 as 1.5 surges).

Can we come up with another means of letting allies surge other than throwing tea at them?

Here are some options:

Move the healing potion from a high-level utility to a class ability available from 1st level. The Artificer can "bank" his life energy (one surge) in potions or objects during each short rest. These become items that can be used by
anyone for the rest of the day, that heal double the amount placed therein.

Maybe give them an extra surge over what you would expect from their role, like a paladin.

Whenever the artificer uses an encounter or daily power that buffs a single ally, the boost of magic lets that ally spend a healing surge. When he uses a power that buffs many allies at once, everyone gains temporary HP.

...I'm sure there are other ways, but I like both these solutions.

Ben

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads