• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Revised 6E prediction thread

G

Guest 6801328

Right, I was making two points. Firstly, that stuff like “[Enviroment or Society Type]” alongside stuff like Elf is a bad idea, and that while I’d be fine with including stuff like that in the game, I’d not accept it as it’s own layer (nor as a lineage options alongside actual lineages), but would enjoy it as part of soemthing like Background.

Actually, it's a freakin' great idea.

But to each his or her own!

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Yes, exactly. He later clarified that his issue was not with bonus actions per se.
Yep. I love the bonus action, so I was very happy for that. IMO it’s a great bit of design space, though in my own system UA instead have 2 quick actions per round, which combine bonus action and reaction into one thing you can use twice a round.
Actually, it's a freakin' great idea.

But to each his or her own!
Sure. I don’t see how “choose between elf and forest folk” is better than being able to be both, and have both not just be cosmetic flavor, but okay.

Mercurius

Legend
I haven't read the whole thread, but I think there's a common misunderstanding among long-term D&D players: that the new and very large D&D player base is as interested in endless splats and options, or rules minutiae, as many of them are.

I just don't think that's the case, but rather that the majority of the tens of millions of D&D players are far more casual in terms of how they play the game. The focus is on the next story, not endless crunchy options. In fact, I think crunch plays a third fiddle to adventures and worlds, which is reflected in the fact that of the thirteen hardcovers published from 2018 on--including Candlekeep Mysteries--only one of them (Tasha's) has been a player's option splat. The other twelve include one monster book, six adventure books, four setting books, and one campaign/rules hybrid (Acq Inc). Optional rules have been sprinkled throughout, but the point is that the focus is on worlds and stories (10 of the 13 being of that ilk).

This means that the edition cycle is not tied to running out of new options to print, in two ways: One, people don't care as much, as long as there are new worlds and stories to explore; and two, options have been more spread out, and generally lighter. DM's Guild fills the gaps for any kind of niche.

Couple that with the whole notion of an evergreen edition, and I think a true "6th edition" is not forthcoming anytime soon, if ever. I don't know how WotC plans their publications, but I imagine they've got a solid plan for the next few years, with strong notions of where they're going for the few years beyond that. I'd be surprised if "6E" is in either range.

So my guess is that the next few years, say 2021-23, will be more of the same: fleshing out the worlds and stories of D&D, throwing in some new options. We'll see expansions into the planes and other worlds, and maybe a surprise or two along the way.

2024 will be an important "taking stock" year. It is not only the 50th anniversary of D&D but the 10th anniversary of 5E. My prediction hasn't changed: I think we'll see revised core rule books that take into account the adjustments and expansions of the previous decade, but not an explicitly new edition. I previously predicted something akin to a "5.2," but I think 5.3 to 5.4 is more likely now, although still fully compatible with 5E. Meaning, whatever revisions are made, they'll stop short of "5.5." The revised core rulebooks will be published with the idea that you don't need them to play 5E products, old or new, but you're going to want them.

When might a truly new edition of 6E be published? Well that depends upon factors that are hard to predict from where we stand. When will D&D peak? And after it peaks, will it maintain most of its popularity in a long plateau or will it decline quickly? What about trends within TTRPGs - will some new idea or trend emerge that will force WotC to evolve (in a similar way that the indie revolution of the 90s led to the consolidated d20 system of 3E)? Will technological and entertainment factors (e.g. VR) play a part, and to what degree and when? And of course larger socio-cultural, health, economic, and environmental concerns; we live in troubled times.

But assuming some degree of stability, and a reasonable view on technological progression, I would guess that we won't see a new edition for a decade or more. We'll need to see D&D peak (maybe sometime in the 2021-24ish range?), plateau, and then start showing signs of decline (2026 or later, if at all?). And then it will still be a few years before we see that new edition, so I'm guessing 2030 at the earliest.

But again, not only is any such prediction impossible to make considering the current context (both of D&D's popularity and the complexity of factors involved, both within the industry and the world at large), I'm not sure WotC will ever explicitly speak of a "new edition." Or rather, "edition" will mean something different than it has for the last 45 years: not as much a new version of the game, but an evolution of the D&D game presented in a new way. Maybe that is somewhat semantic, but I'm thinking more along the lines of the shift from AD&D 1st to 2nd edition, than 3E to 4E or 4E to 5E. For that to occur again, I think we'd need to see a complete collapse of D&D's popularity, followed by a hibernation period as the property was sold and re-envisioned by a new company. But I just don't see that happening, at least from where we are today.

Last edited:

dave2008

Legend
I still think the best system gives you an ASI for race (restricted unless human) one for background (defined as part of that background) and one for Class.
I think the best system gives you a stat cap(s) for race, an ASI one for background (defined as part of that background) and one for Class.

TheSword

Legend
For short rests, I made them 5 minutes long, and gave 2 short rests per long rests. I do like the simplicity and scaling of keying it off proficiency bonus, however. Would have been a great mechanic to have in the original PHB.

Regarding 4E monsters, I'll take your word for it. I've not played 4E. But I have the books. Looking at frost giants, for example, the 4E versions are much more varied and evocative than what 5E offers. In 5E, spellcasting monsters can be painful...especially those built on the warlock chassis. I really hate having to calculate mid-battle how many eldritch blasts a monster gets! I think this is part of why "The Monsters Know What They're Doing" has been so successful...because there's often an optimal way 5E monsters are meant to be played, but for complex monsters that way is obscured in the stat block.
It’s a bit of a tangent but I’m struggling to think of which monster is based on a warlock chassis?

G

Guest 6801328

I don’t see how “choose between elf and forest folk” is better than being able to be both, and have both not just be cosmetic flavor, but okay.

It's a question of whether or not you try to anticipate every combination the players might want. Sure, you can create a race/lineage for both elf and wood-elf. But what if a player wants a wood halfling? Do you just disallow that, or do you also have a a lineage for generic "forest folk". If the latter, there are now two very different ways of creating forest-folk.

I mean, one could solve it by adding a fourth option to chargen, so you choose elf as your race and forest folk as your lineage, but we both agree that's not a good solution.

Alternately, background could be co-opted, but that changes the meaning of background.

I agree my solution* wouldn't give people what they're used to getting, but it's a good solution.

*It's not really "my" solution; it's the logical end-point of what we see in the lineage UA. If WotC doesn't do this, they're essentially going to have a weird hybrid system that only makes sense to people who have been playing for a long time.

Dausuul

Legend
It’s a bit of a tangent but I’m struggling to think of which monster is based on a warlock chassis?
Volo's has statblocks for Warlock of the Fiend, Warlock of the Archfey, and Warlock of the Great Old One. The blood witch, from "Guildmaster's Guide to Ravnica," is warlock-ish. It doesn't follow the design as strictly as the Volo's ones, but it is still clearly designed to represent a warlock (Devil's Sight, eldritch blast, uses warlock spells like hex).

Hatmatter

Laws of Mordenkainen, Elminster, & Fistandantilus
Yep. I love the bonus action, so I was very happy for that. IMO it’s a great bit of design space, though in my own system UA instead have 2 quick actions per round, which combine bonus action and reaction into one thing you can use twice a round.

Sure. I don’t see how “choose between elf and forest folk” is better than being able to be both, and have both not just be cosmetic flavor, but okay.
Yes, as someone who started with Basic (the Moldvay version from 1981) and 1st edition at around the same time, I thought the bonus action was a great addition, as was the notion of advantage/disadvantage. While I'm at it, I love the subclass system combined with backgrounds (seems to nicely balance prestige classes and kits) and the multi-classing option (in our play experience they hit a great way to provide options and also balance and it is preferable to the old multi-class/dual class options in 1st edition). Basically, I think 5th edition is the bee's knees...my hope is that they are still get started with it. I would love to see some creative publications that add elements to D&D that we have never seen before.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads