D&D 5E Revised core book wishlist

overgeeked

B/X Known World
WotC confirmed updated core books in 2024. They say they will be fully backward compatible.

So what do you want updated in the new core books?

link?

EDIT: I see it now...

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
Quite a few things, most of them being quality of life changes:
  • Classic races as lineages
  • Classes with features usage based of proficiency bonus
  • Extra attack/War magic changed to the ''Bladesinger's standard''.
  • Modifying the summon spells to be closer to Tasha's.
  • Give clerics, druids and bards a few more attack cantrips, maybe based on 4e at-wills.
  • Incorporate the optional features of Tasha's in the core classes.
  • Rebalancing the 4 elements monks!
  • Monsters with more buttons to push.
  • Monsters that actually use the resistance/vulnerable mechanics
  • DMG with exploration rules

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Quite a few things, most of them being quality of life changes:
  • Classic races as lineages
Not sure what you mean by this? The Tasha's rules pretty much accomplishes this, so do you just mean that you want them formatted like post tasha's races? if so, I think that is nearly inevitable.
  • Classes with features usage based of proficiency bonus
  • Extra attack/War magic changed to the ''Bladesinger's standard''.
I hope if they update the EK, they don't just copy-paste what the Bladesinger does.
  • Modifying the summon spells to be closer to Tasha's.
Oh please no. Having both is good.

Most of the rest I agree with.

My own list is probably pretty idosyncratic and largely unlikely to happen.
  • Update the Wizard to spread their high level features out amongst more levels, making the class more feature rich and evocative at a lower level. Update the PHB Traditions to have more punch, bringing the weaker ones up to the level of Evocation and Divination at low levels.
  • Update Ranger to have a spellcasting alternative in the PHB, or a non-spell option to spend spell slots on. Give each favored terrain a feature that is generally useful and add the deft explorer features on top of that, even if that means spreading them out a bit more. The Ranger can be like the monk and have base features at 3 and 4.
  • Update the Monk with all the Tasha's stuff, but increase the healing from the healing ki feature. Reduce cost of Elemental Disciplines to 1 ki/level like the spells in every other Monk subclass, and make some of them doable in place of an attack or as a bonus action, turn others into additions to flurry of blows and other base class ki abilities, more in line with how later monks are built. eg, drunken master gets a disengage any time it uses flurry, no reason the movement disciplines can't be usable any time you use Step of The Wind. When you use flurry of blows, you can choose to instead force all creatues within a 15ft cone make a dex save or take X fire damage. When you use FOB, you can choose to make all your attacks until the end of your next turn deal additional fire, cold, thunder, or lightning, damage equal to your wisdom modifier. ETC.
    • Give Base monk more basic ki features that look to a wider range of concepts, like a feat of strength ability, an ability to throw things incredible distance, etc.
    • If a bigger revision is in order, focus the monk more on being a mystic than on being a martial artist. Martial artist isn't a class concept, it's a thing multiple classes should have access to. The monk's niche is "mystic/sacred/esoteric warrior".
  • Better and more advice in all three core books for playing and running the game and making it your own.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
Making all races be Tasha's-style (no cultural characteristics in the races).
Turning all Planetouched into Lineages, a la the Gothic Lineages from Van Richten's Guide to Ravenloft (Tieflings, Genasi, Aasimar, etc).
Fixing the broken subclasses (4 Elements Monks, for example).
Expand upon Backgrounds mechanically and thematically (probably to fit the cultural features and proficiencies in them).
Allow for innate spells (either from race/lineage or feats) to be cast using your own spell slots.
Balance the feats. No more "you chose Linguist instead of Polearm Master?!?!" problems. (Preferably give more feats to the players, too.)
Make Druids choose a stat block that's included in their class features to Wild Shape into, instead of having to search through the Monster Manual and similar sources.
Give the Tasha's optional class features to the classes (and probably give more class features that give meaningful player choices when creating their character, like how Warlocks have Pact Boons and Eldritch Invocations).
Include Artificers in the PHB, and give it as many subclasses as the rest of the classes get (no more Wizards and Clerics with 7-8 subclasses when Sorcerers, Bards, Barbarians, Druids, and Rangers only get 2 subclasses!).
Give each class that has spellcasting more unique spells (imagine an AoE-version of Chaos Bolt for Sorcerers, more Songs for Bards, inventing spells for Artificers, etc).
Make tools actually matter in the PHB.
Include stat blocks for Vehicles. (Maybe even a section for Spelljamming ships in the DMG, near the Laser Pistols and Antimatter Rifles!)
Revise magic items to actually be interesting and factored into the math of the game.
More interesting weapon and armor choices, instead of just "oh, I just got enough gold to get the superior-in-every-way Light/Medium/Heavy Armor! I guess I'll buy (and use) that!"
A Psion class!
A Martial, Arcane Half-Caster (like an Arcane version of a Paladin or Ranger)!
Fixing Action Economy!
Mythic Monsters in the Monster Manual. (Mythic Tarrasque, anyone?)
I could go on and on and on.

Shiroiken

Legend
  • Reworking racial ASI to fit the new mold (+2/+1 or +1/+1/+1), rebalancing innate racial features to meet this adjustment. Standard Human should have a rework, as +1 to all is terrible, especially with choice of racial ASI available to everyone. Variant Human should remain unchanged, being fine as is (if feats were standard, I expect this would have been the standard human).
  • Rebalance the classes. Remove "smite" as a class ability, replaced with smite spells. Ranger gets an overhaul to not suck. Other classes and subclasses tweaked as needed.
  • Fix the feats. Either boost up the weak/trap feats (my preference) or nerf the others down to the weak level. The second option will probably cause people to just not take feats, but whatever. The second option also works if feats are separated from ASI.
  • Tweaks the weapons, but this just won't happen. No one cares enough to make the change, no matter how much it's needed.
  • Expand exploration rules. The existing ones work, but not very well. More activities and better explanation of how to use them would be ideal. If not, at least provide examples of how they can be used based on the different styles of game.
  • Part of me wants magic item crafting and buying and selling options, but only so everyone shuts up about it. I feel this is one of the biggest gripes people have about the game that I find completely ridiculous.

They need to rewrite the descriptions for humanoids to ensure they have variety, are not evil-for-evil's-sake, and most importantly are not characterized in language that mimics real world racism and colonialism. I actually don't care about alignment or adding "typically" or any of that stuff. Especially if these humanoids are going to be playable, they need to have diversity of culture and things they contribute to the setting other than raiding and pillaging and serving as cardboard cut-out foes for the more "virtuous" humanoids.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases