D&D 5E Revised core book wishlist

I'm hoping for more classes personally. Specifically the warlord and swordmage.

As well as tons of quality of life improvements like revamping older content like feats, classes, subclasses, backgrounds, etc.

Maybe smoothing out the action economy. Though I'd also be worried about how that would mess with backwards compatibility.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
But assassination isn’t inherently evil, nor is someone who is trained in that skill set.

Assassin =\= paid murderer. The origin of the term comes from a group that used the methodology of stealth and fear to try to discourage persecution by the dominant socio-economic-ethnic group, and popular media characters with the skill set of assassins are often people who use guerilla tactics to fight a more powerful force.
Historically, yes, but now it’s variously used to mean either paid murderer or politically motivated murderer.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
I'm hoping for more classes personally. Specifically the warlord and swordmage.
Love to see that.
As well as tons of quality of life improvements like revamping older content like feats, classes, subclasses, backgrounds, etc.
The more they change the less compatible it will be.
Maybe smoothing out the action economy. Though I'd also be worried about how that would mess with backwards compatibility.
I dunno. As long as they keep things mostly the same and only tweak how things work, it'll still be backwards compatible. Giving out more bonus actions would be fine. Tweaking how bonus actions work would be fine. Removing bonus actions would break backward compatibility.

Can you give some examples of what might trigger a concentration check?
Just some thoughts...

-But maybe Fly, requires one to move at least 30 feet a round or have to make a concentration check.
-While one of those spells that adds a lot of energy damage on top of attacks, actually requires a concentration check every time the weapon hits with the extra energy damage (wielding unstable energy).
-Or maybe Resilient Sphere requires a concentration check when what's inside makes a successful strength (athletics) or intelligence (arcana) check.

Some like Protection From Energy or Stoneskin could be no concentration check at all. Or maybe a check when taking damage against a damage type that the spell isn't protecting from. So therefore one will keep Protection From Energy against fire damage the entire time they're in a burning building.

Amrûnril

Adventurer
This is probably pushing the bounds of backwards compatibility, but my top wishlist item would be a rebalancing of ability scores. A good starting point might be to allow extra proficiencies based on Intelligence and cut back slightly on how much you can do with Dexterity alone (perhaps it could add to attack but not damage for ranged/finesse weapons, or perhaps Wisdom should be the initiative modifier instead.)

More broadly, though, I'd like to move away from a state where classes rely on one specific ability score for combat effectiveness, and players are clearly handicapping themselves by not putting as many points there as possible. A Rogue with more Charisma than Dexterity, for instance, or a Paladin with high Wisdom but only decent Strength are interesting character concepts, and if they didn't require such clear mechanical sacrifices, I think the game would be better for it.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
This is probably pushing the bounds of backwards compatibility, but my top wishlist item would be a rebalancing of ability scores. A good starting point might be to allow extra proficiencies based on Intelligence and cut back slightly on how much you can do with Dexterity alone (perhaps it could add to attack but not damage for ranged/finesse weapons, or perhaps Wisdom should be the initiative modifier instead.)
I think giving more benefits to abilities that need a little help (like bonus proficiencies for high Intelligence) would make sense, but removing things (like Dex mod to damage with finesse weapons) would break backwards compatibility.

Scribe

Legend
As I wrap my lunch and continue to iterate on my issues with the design choice going forwards, these are my 2 major asks assuming compatibility is to be maintained.

1. A new setting, built up to demonstrate how to apply the generic framework that races will be turned into, into an enriched collection of PC options.

2. Address the issue of Cosmology, Alignment, and Gods, in relation to both the generic framework races (aka no connection) and demonstrate how they can be made to work with the enriched examples of PC options when applied to a setting.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Historically, yes, but now it’s variously used to mean either paid murderer or politically motivated murderer.
D&D isn't a modern game, and even if it were, pretty much all gamers know that Assassins aren’t just hired killers both historical and in stories.

Hell, it’s basically the point of one of the biggest AAA game franchises out there.

Remove ads