D&D 5E Revising Classic Settings

That would be sad.

I almost feel like they have to do something with Greyhawk for the 50th, right?
I think Hasbro pretty much skipped G.I. Joe's 40th anniversary (a toy line that saved the company twice and is the personal fav or two generations of owners), so I'd say they don't feel a need to do anything. Maybe a reprint, but with POD even that isn't really a thing.

Be that as it may, as of right now they seem to be committed to having psionics folded into the subclass system. While it's possible we'll see a psionics class with Dark Sun the way Eberron had the Artificer, my suspicion is that at the most it'll have a few feats to represent the latent psionic ability Dark Sun's populace had, but not a full psionics class.

we would still want a decent full psionic full caster to come with darksun.

It would be nice, but what does a full 5e Greyhawk setting look like? Going with the data that the majority of D&D players are 25 years or younger, you're looking at people that either have no memory of Greyhawk, or came in at the tail end of 3e Greyhawk. And beyond that, the Greyhawk fandom is passionate, but it's also intensely fractured. How do you reconcile all those opposing opinions?

That would be sad.

I almost feel like they have to do something with Greyhawk for the 50th, right?

The Glen

Legend
You do not have to include every single race from the Forgotten Realms into every other setting. That's one of the biggest criticisms of the Forgotten Realms is how much of a kitchen sink it is. Dragonlance is memorable because it doesn't have half the races as you expected. Of the seven non catch-all settings less than half of them have dark elves. What you leave out is just as important as what you put in.

Last edited:

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
It would be nice, but what does a full 5e Greyhawk setting look like? Going with the data that the majority of D&D players are 25 years or younger, you're looking at people that either have no memory of Greyhawk, or came in at the tail end of 3e Greyhawk. And beyond that, the Greyhawk fandom is passionate, but it's also intensely fractured. How do you reconcile all those opposing opinions?

Two solutions-

1. Re-issue the old stuff. Just some sort of fancy "collector set" with reprinted big ol' Darlene Maps and charge a ton of money. It won't attract the new gamers, but will keep the olds happy, and would "celebrate" the setting. Of course, it will also result in the death of it ... given the lack of new gamers playing it, but still!

2. Make something good.

I want to emphasize (2). I mean.... what you were just saying could have been said about 5e. At the time, the D&D fanbase was passionate, and intensely fractured. Yet 5e worked, because it was good.

It's the same with anything. You can never please everyone. But when you make something that's good, that tends to work out.

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
Be that as it may, as of right now they seem to be committed to having psionics folded into the subclass system. While it's possible we'll see a psionics class with Dark Sun the way Eberron had the Artificer, my suspicion is that at the most it'll have a few feats to represent the latent psionic ability Dark Sun's populace had, but not a full psionics class.

I fear your right, I would hope otherwise but hope died in me years ago.

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
I don't think there are too many factions. And I certainly don't think the Revolutionary League or Xaositects should be cut.

I might have certain political biases that make me sympathetic to the Revolutionary League and some of the political movements they're based on. And I feel the Xaositects should be around even if they're "crazy" because some players like having "crazy" or "silly" characters.

15 is definitely too many. People are only capable of maintaining 7 things in their head at once (it is why we count 7 colors in the rainbow, and have 7 numbers in a phone number).

I do agree though that the Xaositects and the Revolutionary League are good faction concepts and should stick around. I'd merge the two however, as the latter doesn't have a Factol and they overlap in many respects.

However, the Believers of the Source and the Sign of One merged (into the Mind's Eye), so they should keep that to bump it down to 13. Remove the Free League, they don't have a Factol and are boring (they barely consider themselves a faction). That's 12.

From there it gets a little trickier, but getting to 12 is pretty easy.

I can understand some retcon to allow more space where we can add more PC races and classes.

In Planescape the faction war will continue but not in Sigil, now "neutral zone" and we can't forget the gatetowns.

My bet is the first Dragonlance 5th Ed will be the updated compilation of the modules, and with an optional list of PCs, for example a female kender. I talked several times about an event linked with a multiverse crisis causing, or explaining, the reason of retcons or even total reboot of D&D settings (for example no-humans within the two, or even a third one or more, factions of Jackandor).

* What if I wanted to add new classes into Dark Sun? For example the shugenja, the warden, the seeker, the ardent, the lurker, the warblade, the crusader or the totemist shaman.

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
I can understand some retcon to allow more space where we can add more PC races and classes.

In Planescape the faction war will continue but not in Sigil, now "neutral zone" and we can't forget the gatetowns.

My bet is the first Dragonlance 5th Ed will be the updated compilation of the modules, and with an optional list of PCs, for example a female kender. I talked several times about an event linked with a multiverse crisis causing, or explaining, the reason of retcons or even total reboot of D&D settings (for example no-humans within the two, or even a third one or more, factions of Jackandor).

* What if I wanted to add new classes into Dark Sun? For example the shugenja, the warden, the seeker, the ardent, the lurker, the warblade, the crusader or the totemist shaman.
you could dump them in of map areas as I do not believe we have a whole globe of athus even to day.

The Glen

Legend
If you change something too far from its original base, you lose what made it popular. That's a problem with a lot of remakes in other mediums. The factions are an integral part of planescape. Greyhawk has to have it racial tensions and International rivalries. Mystara needs It's Cold War. You start changing these that people aren't going to like them because you've changed What drew them to it in the first place.

If you want to reintroduce these to younger players, showcase the features that made them great. Older players aren't going to mind if you rehash as long as they get to play in their favorite settings again.

dave2008

Legend
I think Hasbro pretty much skipped G.I. Joe's 40th anniversary (a toy line that saved the company twice and is the personal fav or two generations of owners), so I'd say they don't feel a need to do anything. Maybe a reprint, but with POD even that isn't really a thing.
But GI Joe is fundamentally Hasbro, Greyhawk is WotC and it seems that WotC has more autonomy than ever now. I think if WotC wants to do something for D&D's 50th, then Hasbro will not step in and squash it.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases