D&D 5E Revising Classic Settings

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Yeah, that tweet certainly gets the wheels turning on speculation. I suspect they will be tackling the most popular classic settings first (Planescape, Dark Sun, Dragonlance), but I'm curious how they will reference or explore other settings even if they aren't the focus of the entirety of their own book.
I'd be surprised if it what's left of the three active settings isn't Dragonlance and Forgotten Realms. I hope we see Al-Qadim, Dark Sun, Mystara, Nentir Vale, and Spelljammer. Which means it will likely be none of them.
I'm still holding out for a Spelljammer book, especially after Perkins made a "Space Clowns" tweet and the D&D twitter made a "Spelljammer confirmed" joke replying. But alas, I am likely to be disappointed.
Yeah. Spelljammer is a damned fun setting. I doubt they'll ever do a Spelljammer setting. It's a shame, really.

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
I'd be surprised if it what's left of the three active settings isn't Dragonlance and Forgotten Realms. I hope we see Al-Qadim, Dark Sun, Mystara, Nentir Vale, and Spelljammer. Which means it will likely be none of them.

I believe that WotC thinks because FR is essentially "5E's Default Setting," that they think it is too big a world to try and contain within one setting book. They've already done the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide (which is a setting book, though not a particularly interesting one), and their recent adventures contain gazetteers or setting material for different regions of FR.

I'm thinking it's more likely they will continue their pattern of picking a spot in Toril and setting their annual adventure there, with some setting material for that spot. Much like how Rime of the Frostmaiden went very deep into Icewind Dale.

Faolyn

(she/her)
I really, really hope they don't combine Spelljammer and Planescape. They have such very different tones .Even if you ignore the silliness in Spelljammer, it's still gonzo space opera, which is very different from Planescape's more somber and philosophical tone.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
I really, really hope they don't combine Spelljammer and Planescape. They have such very different tones .Even if you ignore the silliness in Spelljammer, it's still gonzo space opera, which is very different from Planescape's more somber and philosophical tone.
I agree about them combining the two. But if they do Spelljammer, I want them to embrace the silly and the goofy and the gonzo. It’s just not Spelljammer without it.

Last edited:

grimslade

Krampus ate my d20s
Dark Sun was a great setting. It is very much a product of the 90's, warts and all. It could stand to be updated, not watered down, but updated to be as groundbreaking as the original. Muls, like 1E half-orcs, need a rework. In a world of ecological apocalypse and magical tampering of evolution, why would Muls necessarily be 'bred' for slavery? Muls are just another way, like psionic ability, the natural world is making stronger candidates for survival.
Chattel Slavery doesn't need to be ever present. The Sorcerer Kings are in complete control. The templars, merchants, and nobles owe their position to them. The rest of the population is similar servitude without the need for echoes of history. Food, water, and safety are all limited resources. Control is easy for those with power. Slavery takes many forms after all.

I'd do a complete reboot. Not just a calendar advance. Set 5E Dark Sun after the appearance of the first Avangion. The Veiled Alliance becomes a crusade of preservers, a scourge to Freed City-States and those under the yoke of Sorcerer Kings. The Dragon still exists. How will the party navigate this chaotic land?

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
I'd do a complete reboot. Not just a calendar advance. Set 5E Dark Sun after the appearance of the first Avangion. The Veiled Alliance becomes a crusade of preservers, a scourge to Freed City-States and those under the yoke of Sorcerer Kings. The Dragon still exists. How will the party navigate this chaotic land?

{raises hand in the back row}

DM: Yes, Chad?

Chad: Um ... I was thinking .... killing things and taking their stuff?

DM: sigh So, the usual.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
This is Chad.

Chad understands what D&D is all about.

Be like Chad.
54hidr.jpg

If my memory doesn't fail in the 4th Ed almost-reboot the muls could breed. Maybe they need some special trick, or sorcerer-kings discovered any way to "polymorph" "cheap humans" into "expensive and valious mul slaves". Even this could be a reward for loyal minions because they enjoy longer lives.

We can't forget sorcerer-kings as psionic-masters, and the have learnt how to use psionic hypnosis for mind-controll, but also they are enough smart to notice if you behave as a toxic boss then betray is more possible, altough it was only for vengeance helping an enemy.

DS also should tell about slavery caused by the debts, or by adictions.

Spelljammer as the rest of the setting is like a building toy, after you buy the box you can different things. Maybe some players bought Spelljammer not to play this setting but their own mash-up adaptation of their favorite franchise. I warn the impact of Starfinder by Paizo could be potential great even most of people didn't notice. Maybe in the reboot there are space for mash-up version of other Hasbro's franchises, for example Rom the Space Knight, Visionaries or Inhumanoids. Maybe even a future crossover Spelljammer/DC. (Not the original characters, but a mash-up adaptation, something like the league of Justice within RWBY universe).

Nentir Vale could become a second Sigil, and the Astral Sea be used to mix Spelljammer, planar travels, pirates and (under)sea fantasy. It was designed with the goal to become the ultimate sandbox, allowing all future new elements could be added later, for example classes and PC races.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases