• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Revisited Setting News: Its not the 2023 Classic setting, but rather for 2024

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I never said that, i said that the D&D audience is composed far more of experience players than new ones. Even those that started with 5E could have been exposed to Greyhawk through Ghost of Satlmarsh.
I mean, the game grew by 10 million people between 2019 and 2020, and is growing fast. New players are the core of the game.

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
Some join Roll20 having never played 5E but having played earlier edition for exemple was was i meant, not forums.

Um, sure this does happen, but it looks miniscule.

And considering Roll20 was only founded 2 years prior to 5th edition, and was only allowed to published official D&D content in 2016, very few people would have started on Roll20 with 4E and switch to 5E.

1633541933057.png

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
Um, sure this does happen, but it looks miniscule.

And considering Roll20 was only founded 2 years prior to 5th edition, and was only allowed to published official D&D content in 2016, very few people would have started on Roll20 with 4E and switch to 5E.

View attachment 144901
This is the % of game played by type, not the player's past experience with D&D though.

People that try 5E are not necessarily all new to D&D

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
This is the % of game played by type, not the player's past experience with D&D though.

People that try 5E are not necessarily all new to D&D

Sure, but then I refer you back to the age charts that point out the playerbase is tilting fairly young, and more unlikely to have played earlier editions. The gang-busting sales of 5E also point to an influx of entirely new players, not returning ones.

Mercurius

Legend
We don't have statistics for that and the one based on age could contain many returning players. I encounter some frequently online.

I'd say a good portion of those 50 milions are not new players. How much exactly is what i'd like to know. Even if only 50% were not new players but experienced one, it'd be 25 milions that most assuredly know about Greyhawk by name or from experience.

The last similar statistics they put out had 40 millions estimated. We don't know before that. We don't know the estimated number of millions of players in TSR era and Living Greyhawk neither. Even less combined.

Experience would be enought to become familiar with the games.

WotC said at the turn of the century thst 20 million people worldwide had ever played D&D, IIRC. Ergo, we can conclude at least that 30 million people are new since 3E, at least, so well over 50%
Going off what Parmandur saying, the logic is:

1. In 2000, about 20 million had ever played D&D; I believe the estimate for active players was around 5 million.
2. According to syfy.com in 2018, an estimated 8.6 million people had played D&D within the last 12 months (presumably 2017).
3. In 2020, it was estimated that there were 40 million D&D players.
4. In 2021, it was estimated that there are 50 million D&D players.

Meaning, there's been a massive spike in growth from 2017 to 2021. It may be that the 40/50 million numbers aren't only folks who had played within the last 12 months, so we can't necessarily directly correlate the 8.6M figure to that. But still, that's quite a spike.

Again, the key is that the growth has mainly occurred over the last few years, which implies a large percentage being new players.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Going off what Parmandur saying, the logic is:

1. In 2000, about 20 million had ever played D&D; I believe the estimate for active players was around 5 million.
2. According to syfy.com in 2018, an estimated 8.6 million people had played D&D within the last 12 months (presumably 2017).
3. In 2020, it was estimated that there were 40 million D&D players.
4. In 2021, it was estimated that there are 50 million D&D players.

Meaning, there's been a massive spike in growth from 2017 to 2021. It may be that the 40/50 million numbers aren't only folks who had played within the last 12 months, so we can't necessarily directly correlate the 8.6M figure to that. But still, that's quite a spike.

Again, the key is that the growth has mainly occurred over the last few years, which implies a large percentage being new players.
It's also really, really important to keep in mind that when we are talking about something at this scale, our own experience, even on the Internet, is not statistically relevant: we cannot get a representative snapshot anecdotally.

"How could Nixon have won? Nobody that I know voted for him!"

Mercurius

Legend
It's also really, really important to keep in mind that when we are talking about something at this scale, our own experience, even on the Internet, is not statistically relevant: we cannot get a representative snapshot anecdotally.

"How could Nixon have won? Nobody that I know voted for him!"
I am continually surprised at how common this is. This is especially common here, where it is seemingly often forgotten that the average demographic is 40-50+.

I'm not accusing you, @Plaguescarred, of doing this, just saying that it is very common, and we're all prone to "anecdotal bias."

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
Some may have misunderstood me from the begining but it's alright loll

Of all those 50 milions, a significant % has experience with D&D, little to a lot, hard to tell. Another big chunk is new to 5E as well and have very little to no experience.

Big chances that the campaign settings they revisit will be AD&D 2E/3E era, which they'll have little to no familiarity with. We've talked about Greyhawk, but Dark Sun, Planescape and Spelljammer are in similar position as most of the new 5E players have little to no familiarity with campaign settings that we're not already published in 5E.

So if WoTC revisit a less familiar campaign settings, Greyhawk has it's chance as much as any other is what i think, may be some even more due to being anniversary year.

Remove ads