Unearthed Arcana Revived, Noble Genie and Archivist Revisited in UA

The latest Unearthed Arcana replaces the Revived, Noble Genie, and Archivist subclasses with new versions called the Phantom, the Genie, and the Order of Scribes. https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/subclasses-revisited

The latest Unearthed Arcana replaces the Revived, Noble Genie, and Archivist subclasses with new versions called the Phantom, the Genie, and the Order of Scribes.

Screen Shot 2020-05-12 at 11.29.27 PM.png

Chaosmancer

Legend
Except you still need to wish to restore them which is the real cost of that ability. Without the wish you can't copy or relearn the spells or even cast them from a scroll.

Ah, I misread your original post (going too fast I suppose)

I thought you were saying it was too harsh and all you should have to do is find them again, hence my pointing out why that design wouldn't work.

My apologies for the confusion.

Oh I could totally see that working yeah... How about Wail from the Grave being fueled by your tokens instead? And add the CON and Death Save advantage thing at later level?

I'd keep the advantages, and just add in the ability to refuel the Wail.

Edit: Or the idea I had earlier of destroying one to get a 20 on a death save, popping up to 1 hp immediately. I feel like that sort of "cheat death" thing fits even better.

Hatmatter

Laws of Mordenkainen, Elminster, & Fistandantilus
Oh I could totally see that working yeah... How about Wail from the Grave being fueled by your tokens instead? And add the CON and Death Save advantage thing at later level?

This is a very fine idea.

The Shadow Knows! Have you ever heard of the Red Panda Adventures (Link here) by Decoder Ring Theatre? It's a 120 episodes (plus 3 audio books) long complete story 'Masked Mystery Man' audio drama in podcast forms (each episode being roughly half an hour). It starts in Depression Era Toronto and ends sometimes after WWII. It's one of my favorite piece of media EVER!

I look forward to checking it out...it looks terrific.

Hatmatter

Laws of Mordenkainen, Elminster, & Fistandantilus
It is a good sign. There are many companies these days that only make products as cash-grabs, but WotC shows through this process that they actually care and appreciate our feedback (Mojang and WotC are the 2 companies I can think of that does this). There are problems that come with asking the feedback of everyone in a community, but I think the general response to these UA articles are constructive and positive.
Yes, I think it shows a commitment on their part to strive to get things right. They would save themselves so much work if they simply did their iterations in-house.

Gradine

🏳️‍⚧️ (she/her) 🇵🇸
I'm enjoying these, especially the Phantom. For Eberron they mention it might be a Karrnathi tradition, but it feels very "Powered by the Mourning" to me

Undrave

Legend
I'm listening to the first episode now! (y)

Keep me posted! Personally the first episode that REALLY pops for me is the 7th, but there's stuff early on that WILL come back around later.

I'm enjoying these, especially the Phantom. For Eberron they mention it might be a Karrnathi tradition, but it feels very "Powered by the Mourning" to me

The fluff on this version is SO much better and makes WAY more sense as a Rogue!

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
No, Drow and Duergar are literally the same word, they're just different anglicizations of it. D&D is absolutely chock-full of this. Objecting only to Djinn/Genie seems pretty weird.

Also now I have Jean Genie stuck in my head so THANKS! Could be worse I guess.
No, they aren’t. They are words with a common root, at most, though drow may rather come from trow.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I can't see WotC skipping the opportunity to give us a Sigil gazeteer, even if the book isn't called Planescape. (Spoiler: It won't be called Planescape.)
Well, sure. A guide to the planes should include Sigil. But like, I have never and will never own a Planescape book and I still use Sigil. It’s just part of the D&D cosmology, now.
It probably would be smart to come up with some constraints, or things could get really silly really fast.
Yeah, I agree. Not for balance reasons. Let a mid-high level wizard bypass all damage typeprotections and sometimes match damage tyoe to a vulnerability. I’m fine with that.
But narratively, abilities that change damage types without any restriction just end up making the game feel...dumb.

I’d rather have a chart of what damage types can be swapped. Fire/radiant, cold/necrotic, poison/acid, bludgeoning/piercings/slashing, Thunder/lightning, fire/lightning, etc.
This way a fireball or an armor of agythis always deal a damage type that makes sense.

Remove ads

Remove ads