Unearthed Arcana Revived, Noble Genie and Archivist Revisited in UA

The latest Unearthed Arcana replaces the Revived, Noble Genie, and Archivist subclasses with new versions called the Phantom, the Genie, and the Order of Scribes. https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/subclasses-revisited

The latest Unearthed Arcana replaces the Revived, Noble Genie, and Archivist subclasses with new versions called the Phantom, the Genie, and the Order of Scribes.

Screen Shot 2020-05-12 at 11.29.27 PM.png

They aren’t though. They refer to the same mythological creature but they are neither spelled nor pronounced the same. Just because they’re both derived from the Old Norse dvergar doesn’t make them the same word. Djinni and Genie are different spellings of the same word, like Ki, Qi, and Chi, or color and colour.

Ki, Qi and Chi are not the same word by that logic, sorry. It's exactly the same situation that you're complaining about - Qi and Ki are anglicizations of the Chinese and Japanese words respectively, which are similar words which describe essentially but not exactly the same force. Chi is dubious anglicization of one of them, I presume Qi.

You can't have it both ways. If you'd gone with Qi and Chi and not thrown Ki in there to ruin your point it would have worked though.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
What's interesting about the genie patron is that you become more like you patron and gain a resistance. A lot of dao are looking at their warlocks wondering how they have resistance to bludgeoning damage while dao do not. I get that they have to have resistance to something though and I guess this made the most sense.

Caitsith21

Villager
Scribe: I really liked the lore wizard, therefore that it comes back in some regard I really like, but compared to the Rank A subclasses (Divination and Abjuration) not to mention the broken Chronurgist it sound pretty weak? I see your point with the holy fireball and the forceball, but else you can upcast a 2nd level spells, which is fun at 6th level, but will get useless pretty fast. Level 10: you get a slightly better find familiar? and at level 14 you get a power which reduces spells which I would like if you could just write it back into with a scroll, but like this i find the cost pretty high compared to revify and all the other cleric shenanigans? The free teleport at level 14 is again ok, but nothing really feeling like the other A Tier subclasses abilitess on level 14?

Genie: Wow finally a subclass that temps me to go Warlock. I just think that the 1st level ability to add proficeny damage is a bit overpowered. I mean as a Hexblade you can do this once a long rest. Think of multiclass this with wizard and go 9th level magic missle with +6 every time your magic missle hits? Or the normal eldrich blast with 1-10+6+5 times 4. Or did you read seomthing that hinders this too once a long rest or whatever?

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Genie: Wow finally a subclass that temps me to go Warlock. I just think that the 1st level ability to add proficeny damage is a bit overpowered. I mean as a Hexblade you can do this once a long rest. Think of multiclass this with wizard and go 9th level magic missle with +6 every time your magic missle hits? Or the normal eldrich blast with 1-10+6+5 times 4. Or did you read seomthing that hinders this too once a long rest or whatever?
It needs an attack roll so magic missile won't work for those who only roll a single die for all missiles. For eldritch blast is only applies for a single beam since it is once when you hit with an attack roll.

Olrox17

Hero
Again with a wizard subclass that can swap elements at will? I thought they learned that lesson with the negative feedback the UA lore master got. Apparently not.
Someone at WotC must really miss his third edition Archmage PC.

Can't wait for psychic lightning bolts and frost fireballs that ignite flammable objects, poison shatters that destroy unattended objects, and radiant fingers of death that turn people into zombies! /s

Last edited:

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
Which undead are vulnerable to radiant damage because I can't think of any.
There are 5 of them.
Four are confined to adventure books. Of which one is a unique named monster, and one is just a reskin.
And the last of which are Shadows

If you expand the list to every creature published so far, there are 13 which are vulnerable to radiant damage.

If you expand that list to every vulnerability ever, there are 76 creatures which have a vulnerability out of the 1700+ that have been published so far.

dave2008

Legend
Lots, in my experience (along with elementals, demons, devils etc). Fireball is a top-rank AoE damage spell, apart from every other monster is immune or resistant to fire.
I remember someone did an analysis of this in the past year or so. Fire resistance was the most common; however, it is still really rare. I don't think it is such a big issue.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Having read through the document in more detail, I think I would make a few changes if I was going to add these subclasses into my game.

The Phantom's Token of the Departed: I would limit targets of this ability. Constructs and mindless undead (zombies and skeletons) I would say would not trigger the ability to make a trinket. If they want to break a trinket it must also be on their person rather than just anywhere.

The Genie Pact Genie's Vessel: I think I would allow this to be used as often as the player wants with no limit to the duration.

I would probably also adjust the expanded spelllist to better match the genie's spell-like abilities. For instance a Marid might grant fog cloud and water breathing instead of the spells currently granted at those levels.

Which undead are vulnerable to radiant damage because I can't think of any. The only thing I know of is that radiant damage is good for keeping zombies down, that's the only reason I can think of to switch a fireball to radiant but really a fireball is probably going to be just as effective with fire damage as it is with radiant.
I think the's talking about stuff like Undead Fortitude, which Radiant damage just ignores, which might be helpful against a horde of zombies.

They aren't vulnerable in the damage sense, but they are vulnerable in the "they die easy to it" sense.

Remove ads

Remove ads