Unearthed Arcana Revived, Noble Genie and Archivist Revisited in UA

The latest Unearthed Arcana replaces the Revived, Noble Genie, and Archivist subclasses with new versions called the Phantom, the Genie, and the Order of Scribes. https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/subclasses-revisited

The latest Unearthed Arcana replaces the Revived, Noble Genie, and Archivist subclasses with new versions called the Phantom, the Genie, and the Order of Scribes.

Screen Shot 2020-05-12 at 11.29.27 PM.png

Forgive me for my lack of knowledge of lore because I'm sure that is about to be made apparant, but if the djinni are speaking Auran isn't the common language Primordial? Though I suppose it's not specific to genies.
In 4e Primordial was a single language, with four distinct dialects.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Well, multiple things. For one, 5E isn't terribly sure that Primordial is a thing. It's mentioned in the PHB, as I recall, but then in the Monster Manual, all the races that you'd think would speak it instead speak a specific elemental language instead.
The specific elemental languages are said to be dialects of Primordial. The rules aren’t entirely clear on what that means - can a creature that speaks Auran but not Aquan still communicate effectively with a creature that speaks Aquan but not Auran? Can a character who speaks Primordial effectively communicate with creatures that speak the element-specific dialects? This is all just kind of left up to the DM.

Personally, I rule that the elemental dialects are not pronounceable by non-native speakers. Ignan, for example, involves sounds like the cracks, pops, and hisses of a burning fire, and can’t be reproduced by the human(oid) tongue, but a dedicated scholar can learn to understand them. “Primordial” is a sort of constructed language that is pronounceable by most humanoids. Any creature that can speak one of the 5 languages can understand the other 4, but they can only speak in the one they know. So which one a creature speaks is largely descriptive flavor.

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
Does the spellbook remind anyone else of Bob from the Dresden files?

AD
Yes and I wish it was more like Bob, (I only ever watched the TV series). That is the 10th level ability provided lore/Consult mystic sages type thing rather than a funky familiar thing. Familiar is already there for those that want it.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
The Djinn system in Golden Sun is brilliant. I feel like it would be cool to adapt something like that for a table top RPG where you can give up a stat bonus for a special attack until a short rest or something.

That could be cool.
I also liked how classes changed based on Djinn equipped.

Those games were just excellent all around. Couldn’t get into the third one, unfortunately.

Sir Brennen

Legend
The other part of the damage swapping we have to keep in mind is the Sorcerer. While yes, the Wizard is using an entire subclass to get this the comparison between this and the Sorcerer metamagic is just bad.

This is one of 5 abilities gained at level 2 that have some impact, it comes online at level 2 and it is free all the time. Additionally, any damage type can be swapped to any damage type. Fire to slashing? Sure, if you have a spell that does slashing.

The Sorcerer ability costs one of their metamagics, one of two abilities they gain, it comes at level 3. It costs a limited resource ( a full third of their points at the level it comes) and it is limited to only swapping between Fire, Cold, Lightning, Acid and Thunder.

So, it happens later, costs more, is part of a more limited number of abilities (so should be higher impact) and is far weaker.
Being a player currently running a sorcerer, I agree. I think at the very least they should apply the "Can do a number of times equal to your Prof. Modifier per long rest" mechanic to this one.

What about multi-classing, though? The feature says, "When you cast a wizard spell with a spell slot... " What's "a wizard spell" in this context? My understanding in the past is that spells are class spells if they're on that class spell list.

So if I'm a Wiz/Sor and I cast a fireball that's one of my sorcerer spells known. Since it's on the Wizard's spell list, can I change it's damage type on the fly to Force damage if I have Magic Missile in my spell book? This would entirely negate the need for spending metamagic points ever for this feature with just a two-level dip into Wizard.

I think I'm most bothered by Genie and Djinni, though, because those are literally pronounced the same way. Maybe D&D designers pronounced Djinni as like "Jin-knee" rather than Jeanie, though? Seems pretty weird.

That is literally how I have always pronounced "Djinni". Granted, my initial exposure to the word was through D&D, so seeing it as a type of genie would have psychologically prepped me to assume it was pronounced differently.

I can't be the only one though.

But the genie language -- and it's killing me that I don't recall it -- also spoke to genies being a unified culture, even if all four-plus groups didn't always get along. Efreet would see dao as their peers (even if they look down on them) much more than they would salamanders or mephits, for instance.

Finally, from a thematic standpoint, the language of genies is great flavor. While many spellcasters would use Draconic, Infernal or Celestial in their spellcasting, an Arabian Nights-flavored conjurer doesn't have any real connection to any of those groups. But reciting their spells in the language of genies? That's got style.

You've inspired me to decide it works thusly in my multiverse:

Primordial comes in two full dialects and four partial dialects.

High Primordial = Genie. If you speak High Primordial you can understand and communicate with those who speak other dialects of Primordial.
Low Primordial = This is your "Common" version of Genie. Basically a simplified "interplanar Genie". It functions the same as High Primordial, though it lacks the breadth and elegance. Don't expect works of literature, and expect awkwardness conveying fine technical details.
Auran, Aquan, Ignan, Terran = Partial dialects. These dialects are only minimally mutually intelligible. You can probable communicate a few basic essential concepts, but you can't have a conversation with someone who speaks only another one.

The High/Low dichotomy is the same basic way I deal with Common tongues in general. They are are all actual languages (for instance, in Faerun I make Common be Chondathan). Some characters speak it natively (High) others speak the Common version (and a lot of NPCs speak neither if they aren't from a culture where it is the native tongue).

So a Genie Pact warlock would learn High Primordial, ie Genie. A genasi might know High or Low depending on their background. Most characters who pick up Primordial would gain Low/Common, but one with high Intelligence (or role-playing justification) might acquire full High Primordial.

Remove ads

Remove ads