Unearthed Arcana Revived, Noble Genie and Archivist Revisited in UA

The latest Unearthed Arcana replaces the Revived, Noble Genie, and Archivist subclasses with new versions called the Phantom, the Genie, and the Order of Scribes. https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/subclasses-revisited

The latest Unearthed Arcana replaces the Revived, Noble Genie, and Archivist subclasses with new versions called the Phantom, the Genie, and the Order of Scribes.

Screen Shot 2020-05-12 at 11.29.27 PM.png

Drow comes from norse Draugr (a type of undead revenant, akin to a Ghoul or Zombie).

That's disputed, AFAIK, so unless you have some actual evidence to that effect, I wouldn't believe it. They're clearly not remotely based on Draugar, but are rather based on Dvergar. In fact I've literally never heard it suggested before that Drow is from Draugar.

I thought "drow" came from the Orkney "trow", and thence from "troll".

That's a pretty alternative theory of the crime. Not necessarily wrong but I think we need to find out where the original word came from now.

That's a pretty alternative theory of the crime. Not necessarily wrong but I think we need to find out where the original word came from now.
Well, it's the one little bit of English-language folklore I know of where the four letters "drow" are used as one word to describe a monster. Given the way he tended to operate, I think it's more likely that Gygax borrowed that word than that he coined a word from "draugr" (pronounced wrongly, although to be fair he had no reason to know that Norse <au> is weird). I'm not aware of any place where he recorded his thought process, though.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Germanic languages are complicated, folks. The lesson here is that whatever the “true” etymology may be, the relationship between the words is different than the relationship between the different spellings of جن

Well, it's the one little bit of English-language folklore I know of where the four letters "drow" are used as one word to describe a monster. Given the way he tended to operate, I think it's more likely that Gygax borrowed that word than that he coined a word from "draugr" (pronounced wrongly). I'm not aware of any place where he recorded his thought process, though.

Wikipedia seems to support your thesis and refute draugr entirely:

We shall never actually know, as Gygax gave contradictory accounts, first of two books which don't have the word in, then of another book that doesn't exist, but it seems like a real relative of the latter is the origin-point, which is indeed from Orkney-Scots.

Marandahir

Crown-Forester (he/him)
Wikipedia seems to support your thesis and refute draugr entirely:

We shall never actually know, as Gygax gave contradictory accounts, first of two books which don't have the word in, then of another book that doesn't exist, but it seems like a real relative of the latter is the origin-point, which is indeed from Orkney-Scots.

The wikipedia article is about the monster. Dark Elves are based on Germanic mythological Svartalfar.

The word Drow is not. Gygax borrowed it from the Scotts mythological creature, which is very clearly linked with the undead Draugr.

Troll is either related to Trowe or a folk-etymology. The mythological lines between fairy spirit, undead spirit, and giant are not so clear cut, and often shift as terms are reapplied from one culture to the next.

The trowe is an underground burial mound creature, much like faeries are in Celtic traditions, and the word is related to troll and draugr of the Norse traditions.

Gygax couldn't cite his source properly for the name he gave his dark elves, but he was drawing on the Svartalfar for inspiration, though considering them more like a dark mirror of the Alfar than like the Duergar are usually understood in Norse myth. Drow in D&D are as unique a race to the setting as Gith are. The term arose from earlier stories, but it's applied to something different and unique to D&D.

Of course, follow the leader means we have Night Elves, and Dunmer, and Dark Eldarin, etc etc.

Remove ads

Remove ads