Rewatching the Batman movies

Ryujin

Legend
Sure, we are all allowed to have opinions, but he MUST be one thing. Right. Got it.

It is more accurate to say that the modern comic books are divergent from both the TV show and other comics. Batman... has not always been serious stuff. Dark, broody, of-questionable-mental-health-Batman is not the only Batman.

Sure, there's been detective Batman, vigilante Batman, patriotic Batman, and "Punisher" Batman. Despite your examples, however, there has really only been one consistently silly Batman and he was silly for adults, not kids. The covers don't really give away the story.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Sure, there's been detective Batman, vigilante Batman, patriotic Batman, and "Punisher" Batman. Despite your examples, however, there has really only been one consistently silly Batman and he was silly for adults, not kids. The covers don't really give away the story.

Dude. Batmite. BAT-MITE.

Fine, whatever. Denial ain't just a river in Egypt. Feel free to claim that everyone else has to make room for your opinion, but you may dismiss others. That's just great. Have fun with that.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
It is more accurate to say that the modern comic books are divergent from both the TV show and other comics.

Given the relative spans of time, it's really not. The campier aspects of the Batman comic reside in the 1950s and 1960s. They returned to darker, more adult roots in the 1970s and that's turning 50 now. The camp has become the minority and has been for about 30 years.

MGibster

Legend
It's amazing how growing older changes your perspective on things. When I was a child I loved the Adam West Batman series, by the time I was a teen I thought it as lame, and as I continued to grow older I came to appreciate West's version again for what it was. There are lots of different versions of Batman and many of them are pretty good.

I haven't watched the Batman movies from the 80s and 90s in recent years. I remember the media blitz the preceded the 1989 movie though having seen billboards with the Batman logo on it throughout Dallas and on t-shirts, hats, cups, and other objects months before I knew the movie was coming out and I don't think I had seen merchandising on that level since Return of the Jedi.

But that 1989 movie was very influential and without it we likely never would have had the best version of Batman ever, that from Batman the Animated Series.

Ryujin

Legend
Dude. Batmite. BAT-MITE.

Fine, whatever. Denial ain't just a river in Egypt. Feel free to claim that everyone else has to make room for your opinion, but you may dismiss others. That's just great. Have fun with that.
"Consistently silly."

Bat-mite was a magical being like Mister Mxyzptlk and caused issues for Batman similar to the ones that Superman had to deal with, with Mister Mxyzptlk.

Last edited:

MGibster

Legend
Sure, I knew sitting there in the theater opening night what he aiming for.
Then & now my opinion is that he did a poor job of it.

Schumacher apologized for making a bad movie. He said he felt pressured to create a toy commercial instead of a movie.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Yes, the Batman thing definitely goes back and forth over the more than 80 years he's appeared in comics. Hell, he used guns in the wartime movie serials, runs cars off the road, etc..

Superman is far more rigid in his "no kill" rules, though he has also gone off the rails on rare occasions. That's one of the reasons I so dislike "Man of Steel"; it goes with the exception, rather than the rule.
I know, man. It sucks when Superman cold-bloodedly depowers, tortures, and then executes Zod.

But in his defence, at least afterwards he collapses a fortress on top of him to make sure. After he grins and gets a victory kiss from his girlfriend.

Of course, if Snyder really understood Superman, he'd have had him go to a diner and use his superpowers to beat up a trucker.

Ryujin

Legend
I know, man. It sucks when Superman cold-bloodedly depowers, tortures, and then executes Zod.

But in his defence, at least afterwards he collapses a fortress on top of him to make sure. After he grins and gets a victory kiss from his girlfriend.

Of course, if Snyder really understood Superman, he'd have had him go to a diner and use his superpowers to beat up a trucker.
I see the Zod thing as a "he did it to himself." As to Rocky the trucker he punched Clark first, then got spun.

Snyder went dark.

Remove ads