• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Rhun's I6: Ravenloft - IC Thread

s@squ@tch

First Post
Delkat

"My name is Delkat. I, too, have been waylayed twice this day by unsavory elements -- it has been a trying journey, but the goddess always illuminates the path for those who are faithful."

"I look forward to a roof over my head and a dry bed to rest my body."

"Hopefully we all will reach our destination shortly."

Fenris

Adventurer
"Well met Delkat" says a large man in plate armor who seems undisturbed by the rain. "I am Kyranvik, it is a pleasure to make your acquaintance. Thank you for sharing your company with us. If I may ask, what business finds you on the road to Dunfield?" the man asks with a smile and an extended hand.

s@squ@tch

First Post
"Greetings to you, Kyranvik." says Delkat with a firm shake of his mailed hand.

"I journey to Barovia, but for reasons that are best kept personal at this time."

Queenie

Queen of Everything
Esmerelda stands back and lets the men have their introductions, watching their interactions curiously. Then she steps forward and pulls her hook back to reveal her sweet face and striking blue eyes. She extends her hand and gazes at him as if she is looking into his soul, "Pleasure to meet you Delkat, my name is Esmerelda. You must be a brave man to be on your way to Barovia alone."

renau1g

First Post
[sblock=For Renau1g/Sarryx]
As introductions are being made, Sarryx hears a branch snap somewhere to the rest, in the tangles of trees that line the muddy road. He is fairly certain that it was not caused by wind or rain.

OOC: In the upcoming surprise round, only Sarryx will be able to act. Please provide a response to this, in sblock tags, so I can add your PC's actions to the surprise round post. Remember, only a standard action can be used in the surprise round.
[/sblock]

[sblock=DM]
His Draconic-enhanced senses picking up the distinct sound of a creature approaching, Sarryx turns his head towards the sound and spots X. Opening his mouth, he breaths a line of flame at the offending creature.

The flames look almost alive as they encircle and ensnare the creature in fiery tendrils.

OOC - Breath Weapon - 30 ft. line - Ref save DC 20 for 1/2 damage - Fire damage (4d6=13) - using entangling exhalation. So, in summary Fire damage of 6, or save for 1/2. If it takes any damage from the attack it's entangled for 4 rounds, taking 1d6 damage per turn.
Entangled (1d4=4)
[/sblock]

Rhun

First Post
Combat - surprise round

COMBAT SURPRISE ROUND

As if the forest is listening to the very words of Ares and Kay'el, a group of ravening wolf-like creatures suddenly breaks from the cover of the trees and rushes toward you. While they look like wolves and run on four legs, as they loom near out of the darkness you can tell that they certainly aren't wolves...

His Draconic-enhanced senses picking up the distinct sound of a creature approaching, Sarryx turns his head towards the sound and spots the furred beast. Opening his mouth, he breaths a line of flame at the offending creature. The flames look almost alive as they encircle and ensnare one of the creatured in fiery tendrils.

[sblock=For Renau1g]
I rolled initiative for Sarryx so as to not hold things up. Sorry, I should have mentioned I needed a roll from you.
[/sblock]

Initiative Count
26 Wolf 3 - Move
22 Wolf 1 - Move
18 Wolf 2 - Move; save vrs DC20 9 (fails), takes 6 damage
10 Wolf 4 - Move
04 Sarryx - Breath weapon (20' line), damage 6 + entangling exhalation (DC20)

PC Status

Opponent Status
Wolf 4 -6, [ENTANGLED, 4 rounds]

Rhun

First Post
COMBAT - ROUND 1

One of the beasts springs upon Kyranvik, and all the warrior sees are claws and fangs. But his heavy armor protects him, and none find his flesh.

Taking a small leather loop out of his pouch, Ares calls “Rihuf Lema’la”, the small loop disintegrate in his hand, in an instant, Ares begin to float upward and out of the reach of the wolves.

[sblock=For Strahd]
Ares does indeed recognize these beasts as werewolves. He has studied them extensively, and knows all of their strengths and weaknesses.

OOC: Strahd, feel free to look up anything you need to know in the Monster Manual/SRD, as Ares knowledge check was high enough for full knowledge.
[/sblock]

The second wolf engages Drelkat, and one claw manages to penetrate the cleric's armor, leaving bloody furrows along his left bicept.

Another wolf tears at Donner, clawing past the Sealord's defenses, and leaving bloody wounds upon the man's flesh.

"By all that's holy!" exclaims Delkat as the wolf-creatures attack. He steps backwards, away from the wolves threatening himself and invokes a prayer to his goddess to ward himself, along with his new travelling companions, against any evil advances. As he completes his prayer, those close to him feel the warmth of the sun wash over them.

The wolfmen were upon the group before Ryan could introduce himself to the stranger. He draws his greatsword as soon as he can react. Not knowing the nature of these foes, he has to assume the worst, and uses some of his arcane power, saying the words to infuse his sword with a charge of electricity while swinging it. He strikes the entangled wolfman near the neck, a mighty blow that would bring down all but the toughest opponent, as electricity surges into the monster. The thing's twitching body collapses to the ground.

Esmerelda takes one step away from the snarling creature who is now directly in front of her. "Oh great and worthy gods of nature, protect us from these unnatural creatures before us!" she says with a graceful wave of her hand, pulling some small flowers from a pouch and throwing them to the ground.

Kay'el steps forward and tries to gain the attention of the two wolfmen to the west, his walking stick suddenly up and twirling as he snaps it back and forth between the two. "Come now, you overgrown pups, pick on somebody your own size." The elf quirks a small smiles for the first time in days as a potential challenge presents itself. His staff strikes each of the two wolfs soldily, but doesn't appear to even phase the creatures.

Seeing that Kay'el has moved from his position, Donner slides into his place and starts to call down the Bahari's fury. "OH GREAT STORMLORD, BRING DOWN YOUR MIGHT TO SMITE THY ENEMIES!"

[sblock=For Nebten]
Donner knows that the group is facing werewolves, but he knows nothing of their strengths and weaknesses. He knows only the basics.

Also, Donner does recognize that Drelkat follows Aditi, the Goddess of the Sun.
[/sblock]

Sarryx steps off the path and again opens his mouth wide, blasting forth another red line of energy from his mouth. The line catches two of the enemies in its path, the red flames do not linger this time. He tries to recall anything he might have heard about these particular foes.

[sblock=For Sarryx]
Sarryx knows that the party faces werewolves. While he doesn't know everything, he knows that they are resistant to normal weapons...only weapons crafted of silver. His breath, however, seems to work just fine.
[/sblock]

Kyranvik brandishes his greatsword and calls upon his psychic ability to fuel his strike. The sword strikes hard, drawing blood...but not causing nearly as much damage as it would have to a human opponent.

Initiative Count
26 Wolf 3 - claw vrs Kyran 17 (miss); claw vrs Kyran 13 (miss); bite vrs Kyran 8
24 Ares - cast levitate, move upward 20'
22 Wolf 1 - claw vrs Drelkat 24 (hit), damage 7; claw vrs Drelkat 10 (miss); bite vrs Drelkat 16 (miss); refl save (DC20) 24 (success)
18 Wolf 2 - claw vrs Donner 20 (hit), damage 7; claw vrs Donner 21 (hit), damage 8; bite vrs Donner 10 (miss); refl save (DC20) 8 (fail)
13 Drelkat - 5' step, cast magic circle vrs evil
13 Ryan - greatsword + shocking grasp vrs W4 31 (threat), confirm crit 30 (critical), damage 52
10 Wolf 4 -
09 Kay'el - 5' step, staff vrs W1 21 (hit), damage 7; staff vrs W1 14 (miss); staff vrs W2 17 (hit), damage 9
09 Donner - 5' step, cast call lightning
08 Esmeralda - 5' step, cast bless
04 Sarryx - 5' step, breath vrs W1 & W2
01 Kyranvik - triggers hammer, greatsword vrs W3 21 (hit), damage 23

PC Status
Ares [Levitating, 20' altitude, r1/50]
Drelkat -7
Donner -15

Opponent Status
Wolf 1 -7
Wolf 2 -15 [SLOWED]
Wolf 3 -13
Wolf 4 DEAD

--- BATTLE MAP ---
(Note, my maps will normally be posted to the map post, but this one was too large to attach to EN World. d represents Donner, and k' represents Kay'el. You may have to click to zoom to get the squares to show up right.)

Last edited:

s@squ@tch

First Post
Delkat Kraylin

"By all that's holy!" exclaims Delkat as the wolf-creatures attack.

He steps backwards, away from the wolves threatening himself and invokes a prayer to his goddess to ward himself, along with his new travelling companions, against any evil advances.

As he completes his prayer, those close to him feel the warmth of the sun wash over them.

[sblock=OOC]

5' step to N16, cast Magic Circle vs Evil. +2 AC to all within 10' of Delkat vs Evil creatures, +2 to saves against their effects as well.

Initiative (1d20=13)

[/sblock]

Queenie

Queen of Everything
ooc: Are these 5ft squares?

Initiative (1d20+6=8)

Esmerelda takes one step away from the snarling creature who is now directly in front of her.

"Oh great and worthy gods of nature, protect us from these unnatural creatures before us!" she says with a graceful wave of her hand, pulling some small flowers from a pouch and throwing them to the ground.

Esme casts bless on the party. +1 morale bonus to attack and +1 versus saves versus fear effects.

Remove ads