Rich Baker Comments on the lack of FR products in the 1st Trimester 08 Catalogue

Athenon

First Post
He actually responded to my post. I'm not going to run around with my hair on fire about 4E, but I really did expect them to announce at Gen Con '07 for a release at Gen Con '08. I'm still not 100% convinced that won't happen (I for one really hope that it does).

Even though I really like 3.5, I have to say that a real lack of good D&D (and certainly FR) Material for the next 9 months is disappointing. I guess we can hope for good things from the DI to fill the gap, but I don't think there's any sign of when that will happen.

As a side note, I remember Razz raising hell about the Moonsea book last summer (which was fun to watch). At the time it didn't seem like a big deal; taking one FR "slot" to build around a Moonsea adventures book was a new idea. I really do think that a year later with no regional source books (and none in sight) we'd be better off with a new direction for FR. I like the 2 hardback adventures, but I would really have preferred a Cormyr source book in place of one of them.

WFM

Glyfair

Explorer
Athenon said:
I'm not going to run around with my hair on fire about 4E, but I really did expect them to announce at Gen Con '07 for a release at Gen Con '08. I'm still not 100% convinced that won't happen (I for one really hope that it does).

I'm 99% sure they won't. They have pretty much stated that "D&D announcements will be made at the D&D Xperience." I think the fast track right now is an announcement in Feb 08 for Feb 09 (more likely summer than Feb).

Pants said:
Why should Greyhawk get the shaft in favor of FR Giants? Why couldn't it just be a generic Giants book as opposed to FR specific?

I do think any upcoming Giants book would be generic. I think it might be a reasonable idea to have a section on using giants in FR & Eberron (and perhaps Greyhawk), at least when the campaign worlds have unique views on Giants. Eberron certainly does.

Last edited:

The Sage

First Post
Nepenthe said:
You'll probably have to stick to the 2e deity books for that... :\
Or some of Ed's comments over at Candlekeep... since several scribes, like myself and Kuje, have been bugging Ed for years to reveal whatever he can about particular FR deity-related rituals/ceremonies and the like. :D

Imruphel

First Post
The Sage said:
Or some of Ed's comments over at Candlekeep... since several scribes, like myself and Kuje, have been bugging Ed for years to reveal whatever he can about particular FR deity-related rituals/ceremonies and the like. :D

Actually that's one of the reasons why I am hoping that WotC drops the FR line so that hopefully such a product will be published (instead of reams of [inaccurate] stat blocks that will never see use in my games). Ed has some rights if WotC drops the line and hopefully he will then be able to publish "his" Realms through another publisher, such as Margaret Weis Productions (who did an excellent job on Castlemourn [although they desperately need to get the Castlemourn website up and running]).

Razz

Banned
Banned
Pants said:
Why should Greyhawk get the shaft in favor of FR Giants? Why couldn't it just be a generic Giants book as opposed to FR specific?

Well a "Giantnomicon" would be wonderful for core and general D&D, but Faerun has a history where Giants ruled Faerun for some time just like they did in Eberron. They've released Giantcraft for the Realms back in 2E and I think something like "Giants of Faerun" should expand upon that for 3E just like Dragons of Faerun was 3E's Draconomicon.

The Lost Muse

First Post
Razz said:
Well a "Giantnomicon" would be wonderful for core and general D&D, but Faerun has a history where Giants ruled Faerun for some time just like they did in Eberron. They've released Giantcraft for the Realms back in 2E and I think something like "Giants of Faerun" should expand upon that for 3E just like Dragons of Faerun was 3E's Draconomicon.

Ignoring, of course, 3E's already published Draconomicon...

Kae'Yoss

First Post
How detailed is the giant pantheon and history for GH? In FR they have their pantheon, and there's a novel trilogy where giants feature quite prominently.

Nepenthe

First Post
Imruphel said:
Actually that's one of the reasons why I am hoping that WotC drops the FR line so that hopefully such a product will be published (instead of reams of [inaccurate] stat blocks that will never see use in my games). Ed has some rights if WotC drops the line and hopefully he will then be able to publish "his" Realms through another publisher, such as Margaret Weis Productions (who did an excellent job on Castlemourn [although they desperately need to get the Castlemourn website up and running]).

I wouldn't hold my breath. I'm 100% sure they will keep releasing the minimum amount of books required by their deal with Ed (I remember seeing a mention of such a thing - if I was dreaming of contracts, which happens quite often, I apologise) until kingdom come. The IP is just worth too much to let anyone else have it.

Faraer

Explorer
Pants said:
It wouldn't be Greyhawk, it would be for the 'Greyhawk Light' 'default setting' which isn't consistent with itself or with past or (most likely) future Greyhawk lore. It would just be the authors' ideas about giants (plus lots of numbers) which, unless brilliant, would be largely forgotten come next edition and only marginally contribute anything in the long term, like the PHBR series.
Imruphel said:
Actually that's one of the reasons why I am hoping that WotC drops the FR line so that hopefully such a product will be published (instead of reams of [inaccurate] stat blocks that will never see use in my games). Ed has some rights if WotC drops the line and hopefully he will then be able to publish "his" Realms through another publisher . . .
One way or another, licensing out Realms sourcebooks to the right people could be very fruitful, as Hasbro's demand for high profit margins directs Wizards to maximize the sales of each individual book at the expense of in-depth Realmslore treatments, especially of subjects outside the current focus of D&D.

Remove ads