Rich Baker Comments on the lack of FR products in the 1st Trimester 08 Catalogue

Kae'Yoss

First Post
JoeGKushner said:
short life like adventures

Life like adventures? Elminster, getting senile at last, lost his car keys and asks you to help searching?

Your nephew wants to watch the newest theater play by H. Growling, but it's sold out everywhere, and you have to travel the length and breadth of the Realms to find that one theater that still has seats?

And yes, Grand History of the Realms is all fluff as far as I know. I wouldn't say that this is because they're gearing up for 4e. It's quite possible that they're reacting to all those complaints about people being unable to follow the happenings with all those novels coming out left and right.

JoeGKushner

First Post
Kae'Yoss said:
Life like adventures? Elminster, getting senile at last, lost his car keys and asks you to help searching?

Your nephew wants to watch the newest theater play by H. Growling, but it's sold out everywhere, and you have to travel the length and breadth of the Realms to find that one theater that still has seats?

And yes, Grand History of the Realms is all fluff as far as I know. I wouldn't say that this is because they're gearing up for 4e. It's quite possible that they're reacting to all those complaints about people being unable to follow the happenings with all those novels coming out left and right.

short shelf life. adventures traditionally don't have a shelf life equal to say something like FRCS or Magic of Faerun.

As far as the complaints, guess what? As soon as the book is published, if not sooner, it's already out of date.

Kae'Yoss

First Post
JoeGKushner said:
As far as the complaints, guess what? As soon as the book is published, if not sooner, it's already out of date.

The same complaint can be made about all kinds of books. Schoolbooks, for example.

It's a downside of a "living" world.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Asmor said:
I guess I should just be happy that at least that particular portion of the release schedule is free of the Realms.

We can do with less threadcrapping, thank you.

JoeGKushner

First Post
Kae'Yoss said:
The same complaint can be made about all kinds of books. Schoolbooks, for example.

It's a downside of a "living" world.

I'll never forget the day I learned that 2+2 was now equal to 5 and that in an ever changing world of words, that the Earth would not be considered a planet anymore, but due to it's inhabitants, a wastoid.

Truly terrible.

ssampier

First Post
[Wizards Jedi Mind trick]
There is no 4th edition. Continue buying the boatload of supplements, novels, and minis.
[/Wizards Jedi Mind trick]

Makes sense to me. Obviously, if 4th ed. were a possibility, I'm sure some people would have started threads about it. There aren't any so it can't be a possibility.

Kae'Yoss

First Post
JoeGKushner said:
I'll never forget the day I learned that 2+2 was now equal to 5

Of course. For sufficiently large values of 2.

and that in an ever changing world of words, that the Earth would not be considered a planet anymore, but due to it's inhabitants, a wastoid.

That was after a Planetar visited earth and filed a lawsuit in disgust.

3catcircus

Adventurer
Razz said:
Blech, don't remind me.

While Grand History of the Realms seems like a great book for a Realms fan to buy, it's rather lame that it's the ONLY source of Realms lore we have in 2007...and with no "crunch" in it either. Not that it should've had crunch material, but the fact that we had THREE hardcover adventures slammed into 2007 has pretty much lost us, what, THREE possible Realms-coverage books?

Let's see what those three books COULD'VE been:

Giants of Faerun (3E version of Giantcraft)

Hmm - since most of the original was fluff, why wouldn't this be better suited to the Grand History?

Jungles of Chult
The Cold Lands
Old Empires

I'd be interested in these.

The Hordelands

An expansion on the recent Dragon article?

Faiths&Pantheons 2

What would this contain? Not more deities, but rather, how they act, their ceremonies, etc. - I would hope.

The Creator Races

Nope - not interested.

Artifacts of Faerun

I'd be interested in this - I'd also be interested on an expansion of the lost civilizations - something along the lines of a description of various cities/civilizations that are gone, but the remnants can be found right under the existing cities of Faerun - kind of like all of those lost Roman and Middle Eastern places that are on The History Channel.

Cosmology of Toril

This already exists in PGtF.

Beyond Faerun
(224+page or more, should be Tome of Magic size, book on Zhakara, Maztica, Kara-Tur, and a little on Anchorome, Ossa, and the other Unknown Lands)

The list goes on in my head, but there's plenty of Realms coverage that needs to arrive

I want one or more FRCS-size book for each of these areas - the originals (IIRC) were pretty big boxed sets. We saw how well the Expedition to Undermountain was able to do justice to the original boxed set (not that it isn't a good book, just that it can't do proper justice to the original based on size constraints alone).

Pants

First Post
Whizbang Dustyboots said:
Roofing Tiles of Faerun. It's already half-written ...
You forgot Boots of Faerun, Potted Plants of Faerun, and 'Yet Another Realm Directly Analogous to Someplace on Earth' of Faerun.

Razz said:
Giants of Faerun (3E version of Giantcraft)
Why should Greyhawk get the shaft in favor of FR Giants? Why couldn't it just be a generic Giants book as opposed to FR specific?

The list goes on in my head, but there's plenty of Realms coverage that needs to arrive
Needs?

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases