• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Rich Baker confirms new look of Gnomes

bording

Explorer
I have to say I like the way the new gnome is depicted. Giving them ties to the fey is going to lead to them having a more solid niche, and should distinguish them from the other races in a way that previous versions don't do as great a job of.

Badkarmaboy

First Post
t1l7 said:
In Eberron the gnomes play a important role, they have a nation called Zilargo and there is even a gnome dragonmarked house (House Sivis). With all this changes, especially the apparency one, what is going to happen with them? I think that we will see a Eberron specific gnome at the races section of the new ECS, do you agree?

I agree, same with 1/2 orcs. Someone mentioned tieflings being different too- that I can also see...along with elves...and halflings....

Eberron created its own niches for each of those races that, if altered significantly, would completely whack the flavor and feel of the setting.

That, and they stated on the wotc boards that Eberron was being left pretty much alone. Can't wait to see what 4E artificers look like...

Irda Ranger

First Post
I thought the cartoon's gnome was pretty lousy, but Klaus's is nice. I'm not sure I'll use it for gnomes, but I'll use it for something. Very cool.

DandD

First Post
Truth to be told, I rather think that Klaus' picture shows a Halfling instead of a Gnome. Which is the problem that the gnomes face all the time...

Merlin the Tuna

First Post
DandD said:
Truth to be told, I rather think that Klaus' picture shows a Halfling instead of a Gnome. Which is the problem that the gnomes face all the time...
Yeah. It's a great picture, and it's a great conversion of the gnome from the cartoon (which I also liked), but it's still very hobbity/halflingy. There's only so much you can do with "like human, but short," and "like human, but short and sometimes with beard" doesn't really help.

Lurker37

Explorer
That picture is several shades of awesome. I love how you've taken a cartoon comedy character and transformed it into an image of a serious and believable person with a palpable sense of menace.

pawsplay

Hero
exile said:
I think the cartoon was pretty darn funny. However, I like the look of the gnome more in the drawing than in the cartoon. I can actually see myself playing a gnome.

Chad

That's because you're such a huge Hugh Jackman fan.

Lurks-no-More

First Post
That's a real nice gnome pic you did there, Klaus! He looks like he could be quite friendly, or very creepy; more fey, in fact.

If this change in looks helps to separate gnomes from skinny dwarves, it's a positive one.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads