• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Rich Baker on Gnomes in 4E

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
Kamikaze Midget said:
(did we see a racial write-up anywhere in 3e for avariel? Or sea elves?)
Yes. The racial write-up for the avariel is on p32 of Races of Faerûn. Racial write-ups for aquatic elves appear on p29 of Races of Faerûn and p40 of Stormwrack, as well as a briefer write-up on p103 of the Monster Manual v.3.5.

Falling Icicle

Adventurer
Alot of people have been dismissing the critics saying "oh its ok, there will be rules for playing Gnomes in the MM, so there's really nothing to complain about." That argument is out the window now. Clearly there will not be rules for playing them in the MM, and probably won't be rules for playing orcs, goblins, kobolds, drow and other "monster" races. This is a huge disappointment, and will factor heavily in my decision of whether or not to get on the 4e boat.

This shows, IMO, the complete disregard that these people have for their customers feelings. Ok fine, put gnomes in the MM then. But clearly there are still quite a few people who want to play one, so the least they could do is throw us a bone and give rules for playing them in that book. Instead, we get a video making fun of the gnomes being put in the MM and statements like this one about how "marginal" they are. They really do know how to add insult to injury.

Last edited:

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
Falling Icicle said:
Alot of people have been dismissing the critics saying "oh its ok, there will be rules for playing Gnomes in the MM, so there's really nothing to complain about." That argument is out the window now. Clearly there will not be rules for playing them in the MM, and probably won't be rules for playing orcs, goblins, kobolds, drow and other "monster" races. This is a huge disappointment, and will factor heavily in my decision of whether or not to get on the 4e boat.

I fixed it for you... cause we all know drow (and warforged) are cool and should be added into the PBH while Gnomes are relegated to having one paragraph in the PHB II

mhacdebhandia

Explorer
No. There will be rules for playing gnomes in the Monster Manual. I'll bet you $10.

What Rich Baker is talking about is a full Player's Handbook racial writeup on the order of the one previewed for elves a few weeks ago. I imagine the rules for PC gnomes in the Monster Manual will be the minimum mechanical information necessary to play. Probably not racial feats, but this sort of thing:

Ability scores, size, speed, vision, languages, skill bonuses, racial traits, racial power.

What we'll not see is the "play a gnome if you want to . . ." section, the physical qualities section, the "playing a gnome" section, gnomish characteristics, gnomish names, and sample gnomish adventurers.

That's the sort of thing that will wait for the Player's Handbook II.

hazel monday

First Post
"Don't worry, if you want to keep gnomes in your long running campaign all you have to do is shell out another 35 bucks for our Forgotten Realms book or subscribe to our ridiculously overpriced and unreliable DI."

Weak.

Wolfspider

Explorer
hazel monday said:
"Don't worry, if you want to keep gnomes in your long running campaign all you have to do is shell out another 35 bucks for our Forgotten Realms book or subscribe to our ridiculously overpriced and unreliable DI."

Weak.

Shouldn't that be "weaksauce" in keeping with the lingo of the 4e developers?

Khairn

First Post
hazel monday said:

It was the reference that the home for "marginal" races will be the DDI, that interested me. I wonder which races will make the cut and be considered "book-core" as opposed to "DDI-core"?

Aeolius

Adventurer
JoeGKushner said:
My only concern with the marginal races comment is I'm not sure I'd agree with 'em on what's marginal.

I use more sea elves in my games, than I do humans. ;)

[broken record] That being said, if sea elves (in addition to locathah and merfolk) aren't presented as playable options in the 4e MM, then my choice is clear. [/broken record]

Imban

First Post
Kamikaze Midget said:
(did we see a racial write-up anywhere in 3e for avariel? Or sea elves?)

Avariel had an utterly terrible writeup in Races of Faerun that meant no one ever used them. Applying the Winged template from Savage Species to any ECL 0 Elf was solidly better.

Pretty sure Aquatic Elves were in MM1, or at least very early on in 3e's cycle.

Mercule

Adventurer
JoeGKushner said:
My only concern with the marginal races comment is I'm not sure I'd agree with 'em on what's marginal.

For example, before the core races were known, I'd have bet good money that dragonborn and tielflings would be considered marginal.

Heh. I would have put halflings and half-elves as marginal. I didn't tell anyone that I'd decided there weren't any half-elves IMC when 3.5 came out and it has yet to be noticed.

The only reason anyone knows halflings are out is because I actually told them, "Well, both halflings and gnomes are lame, but I want a size small PC race. Since gnomes are less lame than halflings, gnomes stay and halflings go."

Remove ads