• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Riftwar/Feist novels

jasamcarl

First Post
First the History:

I started reading the Riftwar books before I was 10. I caught word of them from some pc gaming magazine that mentioned a game that was developed from these storylines. Anywho, long story short, I read them, loved them (in the sort of easy pulpy way that befits my age) and the memory of those novels is basically what fuels my DnD gaming today.

Now, later, in either middleschool or early high, I read the Serpantwar saga, which was more or less crap, atleast relative to the earnestness and relativly dynamic action and breezy character development of the Riftwar Books (Good) or Empire trilogy (Great). I won't go into detail explaining my distaste, but it tickles me in the same way a sideways comparison between early and later West Wing episodes would (using that example because there was a discussion on the board about that shark jumping show). But then, I don't know if the earlier novels would hold up now. I haven't read much fantasy since, and I might have become too cynical to mull over someone else's nerdy musing when I have my own to worry about. So anyway....

I'm in the mood for an easy read, and I see that there are two new Feist novels out that follow on the heels of the Serpentwar books. Has anyone read them and are they any good? Thoughts, criticisms, etc appreciated.

Tumbler

First Post
I enjoyed Talon of the Silver Hawk and King of Foxes as much as anything since Rise of a Merchant Prince. The thing I love about Feist is that I can enjoy reading his books and steal liberally for my games. The two new books begin with the terribly cliche "someone killed by whole race," but quickly get interesting.

The most interesting thing about these two books to me is that the characters engage in pretty rough stuff go acheive their goals. The main character Talon certainly would not be considered good in DND.

The second book feels like it could be about 200 pages longer and stretch out some of the events in the plot and add a bit more character development, but it is good for what you get and a very quick read.

You didn't mention reading the between books Prince of the Blood and The King's Buccaneer. I enjoyed both of those a lot.

Of course, you could save money and just go back and read Magician. It still rocks.

jasamcarl

First Post
Tumbler said:
I enjoyed Talon of the Silver Hawk and King of Foxes as much as anything since Rise of a Merchant Prince. The thing I love about Feist is that I can enjoy reading his books and steal liberally for my games. The two new books begin with the terribly cliche "someone killed by whole race," but quickly get interesting.

The most interesting thing about these two books to me is that the characters engage in pretty rough stuff go acheive their goals. The main character Talon certainly would not be considered good in DND.

The second book feels like it could be about 200 pages longer and stretch out some of the events in the plot and add a bit more character development, but it is good for what you get and a very quick read.

You didn't mention reading the between books Prince of the Blood and The King's Buccaneer. I enjoyed both of those a lot.

Of course, you could save money and just go back and read Magician. It still rocks.

Prince of the Blood = Good (actually the first novel i read), but I hated the King's Buccaneer. The pacing was too sedate and the drama read very much like a teen soap; there wasn't the overriding sense of a threat that made the more recreational aspects of the earlier books a nice change of pace. But I might be reading too much into it.

Krug

Newshound
I picked up Talon of the Silver Hawk and didn't find it to my liking. Cliched and rather dull. I have no desire to pick up King of Foxes at all.

jasamcarl said:
Prince of the Blood = Good (actually the first novel i read), but I hated the King's Buccaneer. The pacing was too sedate and the drama read very much like a teen soap; there wasn't the overriding sense of a threat that made the more recreational aspects of the earlier books a nice change of pace. But I might be reading too much into it.

I'll agree for the most part, The King's Buccaneer was definately more 'vanilla' than Prince of the Blood. But hey, nobody's perfect, and Fiest's got a pretty good over-all track record.

Here I've been trying to think of any books by authors I like that I might not already have/read, and my prayers are answered! Now I just have to remember to go and find them. ;)

Hatchling Dragon

KnowTheToe

First Post
Fiest also wrote a horror genre book called Fairy Tale. IMO, it is his best book. I agree that the Serpentwar Saga books stunk like fresh dog crap on the bottom of your shoe, but most of the other stuff is at least enjoyable. I just finished rereading the Riftwar Saga.

cathyb

First Post
2nd vote for Fairy Tale

I also agree with the previous poster who recommends Fairy Tale - an excellent book, although I don't know if serves as fuel for RPing as well as Empire.

And I highly recommend you AVOID the Riftwar Legacy books (Krondor the Betrayal, Krondor the Assassins, and Krondor Tear of Gods). I desperately wanted to like them because they follow my favorite characters after the riftwar ends, but this trilogy was (I subsequently found) based on the video game "Betrayal at Krondor" and suffers from some disappointingly bad writing. I haven't yet worked up the courage to try his latest books after that debacle. Serpentwar shined in comparison.

Last edited:

kingpaul

First Post
Seems I may be in the minority here, but I liked the Serpent War Saga...up until the very end. The way he ended it was much to Deus Ex Machina for me. I would've been happy for another book to finish it up.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads