• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ring of Fast Healing

Nadaka

First Post
Similar to boon traps there are rules for use activated architecture in the 3e supplement "Stronghold Builders Guide". This gp cost for such architecture was generally half the recommended craft wondrous item cost.

It does if/when you realize "Constant effect" is simply an easier/shorter way of saying the effect is an instantaneous single-round standard action Use triggered by the user being injured with an automatic reset.

ie each round, the ring heals 1d8+1 during the wear's standard action (provided he's injured) then ends the effect for THAT round and resets.

But that's not continuous and can't be priced by the continuous formula.

A "continuous" CLW effect is basically a use-activated caster level 1, spell level 1 uncharged item that can do 10 rounds/minute * 60 minutes/hour * 24 hours/day = 14,400 times/day = that's 5,760,000gp.

The ring of fast healing is considerably cheaper.

wysiwyg

First Post
Just glancing over the epics since Epic Ring Forging is the only way to make this smaller version of the item.
Well, there is already an epic feat called Fast Healing that gives 3HP/round. So I guess if someone had the 300k at epic levels it would just make perfect sense to buy the ring. Right. Whoever came up with that price should use a different finger to suck figures from. 300k will give you a +10 weapon and +10 armor.
or better: +7 weapon, +10 armor and a ring of regeneration and a periapt of wound closure that combined heal for 2HP/round.
Seriously.

Maldor

First Post
lesser vigor 1st level spell grant fast healing 1 for a few rounds 1st level caster use actavated always on 2000gp

I have made and used this item in many game it has derailed none its a great addtion to the game it means that your players are more likly to

fight multiple monsters between rest

servive combat without deceasing the challange (really whats 4 or 5 hp a combat)

saves the healer from burning all his spell on a thankless job

The ring of regeneration is over priced no one uses it even if you give it to your players most will sale it because even at 45,000gp its still over priced. most i would pay for fast heal 1 6000gp.

PS don't use cure light wounds in a continuous item give it a command word or charges per day.

jefgorbach

First Post
But that's not continuous and can't be priced by the continuous formula.

A "continuous" CLW effect is basically a use-activated caster level 1, spell level 1 uncharged item that can do 10 rounds/minute * 60 minutes/hour * 24 hours/day = 14,400 times/day = that's 5,760,000gp.

The ring of fast healing is considerably cheaper.

No idea where you got THAT continuous formula.

True, I technically made the ring use-activated(injured) which uses the SAME formula as continuous per RAW so the pricing remains unchanged regardless of which description you prefer.

You are correct in pointing out an uncharged item is created as if it had 100 charges when calculating the spells material and XP costs - however CLW has neither, thus zeroing those additional costs. Further, CLW is instaneous effect so there isnt an additional cost for generating a multi-round effect, which I should have shown.

7th level NPC to forge ring (7th level NPC * 10g per level) 70
Cure Light Wound cast by 1st level cleric as constant effect (1 x 1 x 2000) 2,000
thus base gold cost = 2,070
CLW is an instanteous effect (base * 0) = 0
CLW has no material components (100 charges x 0) = 0
CLW has no Xp components (100 charges x 0) = 0
NPC xp creation cost = 5(base/25) = 414
basic supplies cost = base/2 = 1,035
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
final cost = 3,519gp

If Use-Activated(injured)/Continuous bothers you, change it to a Command word activation and reduce the cost accordingly:

Cure Light Wound cast by 1st level cleric with Commdand Word (1 x 1 x 1800) 1,800
thus base gold cost = 1,870
Cure Light Wounds is an instanteous effect (base*0) = 0
Cure Light Wounds has no material components (100 charges x 0)=0
Cure Light Wounds has no Xp components (100 charges x 0) =0
xp creation cost = 5(base/25) = 374
cost of basic supplies cost = base/2 = 935
-----------------------------------------------
final cost: $3,179gp

However that seems a step in the wrong direction since you feel it was already too inexpensive, so lets leave it use-activated(injured) but limit it to say 5 uses per day instead:

Cure Light Wound cast by 1st level cleric as constant effect (1 x 1 x 2000) 2,000
thus base gold cost = 2,070
Limited to 5x daily (base/(5/5 uses)) = 2,070
Cure Light Wounds has no material components (100 charges x 0) =0
Cure Light Wounds has no Xp components (100 charges x 0) =0
xp creation cost = 5(base/25) = 414
cost of basic supplies cost = base/2 = 1,035
-------------------------------------------------
final cost = 5,589gp

thus:
5x daily 5,589
10x daily 7,659
15x daily 9,729
24x daily 13,455

It really boils down to how much does the GM wants to charge the party for pressing onward rather than taking an extended rest after #daily encounters.

wysiwyg

First Post
lesser vigor 1st level spell grant fast healing 1 for a few rounds 1st level caster use actavated always on 2000gp

I have made and used this item in many game it has derailed none its a great addtion to the game it means that your players are more likly to

fight multiple monsters between rest

servive combat without deceasing the challange (really whats 4 or 5 hp a combat)

saves the healer from burning all his spell on a thankless job

The ring of regeneration is over priced no one uses it even if you give it to your players most will sale it because even at 45,000gp its still over priced. most i would pay for fast heal 1 6000gp.

PS don't use cure light wounds in a continuous item give it a command word or charges per day.

That was my intention entirely. I am just frustrated with the notion that when adventuring in a dungeon crawl, the PCs can open 2 or 3 rooms, and in about 15 rounds of combat (90 seconds), they are exhausted and have to rest again for an entire day.

This ring was my idea to overcome this without disturbing the DC of each adventure. That's why I even came up with the idea that the ring will only function out of combat when the PC wearing it is in a non-stressful mode.

In 4E they came up with the notion of resting between encounters to regain lost HP. My DM is not in favor of implementing this rule, so hence Enworld posting to the rescue.

I wonder if he'll allow the ring to implement the Lesser Vigor spell continuously as we're in PF and Complete Divine spells might not be allowed.

Azmyth

First Post
jefgorbach said said:
House-rule they dont exist if you wish but magically trapped objects, including boon traps, are legally RAW.

Both of your supporting examples, WoTC's Dungeonscape and Kobold Quarterly are not in any way, shape or form Pathfinder RAW.
For that matter, neither is anything from the 3.0 or 3.5 rule sets.

I had already given up on this thread and the lack of logic displayed in several of the arguments posted here.
When WoTC products are quoted as being PF RAW, I gotta call BS for the stinky pile that it is.

Jhaelen

First Post
In 4E they came up with the notion of resting between encounters to regain lost HP. My DM is not in favor of implementing this rule, so hence Enworld posting to the rescue.
...then your DM probably won't be happy if you try to sneak the concept he dislikes into his game like this.

Azmyth

First Post
Some guy with the initials JJ said:
JJ› I'd say an auto CLW ring would be, effectively, a quickened CLW every round, and according to the FORMULA that would = 90,000 gp minimum.
Same cost as a ring of regeneration, as it turns out, and arguably not as good as a ring of regeneration since a CLW won't reattach severed limbs or regrow body parts.

I'd start there. He knows what he's talking 'bout.

Anguish

First Post
That was my intention entirely. I am just frustrated with the notion that when adventuring in a dungeon crawl, the PCs can open 2 or 3 rooms, and in about 15 rounds of combat (90 seconds), they are exhausted and have to rest again for an entire day.

This ring was my idea to overcome this without disturbing the DC of each adventure. That's why I even came up with the idea that the ring will only function out of combat when the PC wearing it is in a non-stressful mode.

I wonder if he'll allow the ring to implement the Lesser Vigor spell continuously as we're in PF and Complete Divine spells might not be allowed.

If that's the case, just look at a wand of lesser vigor. 750gp buys you 50 charges that heal 11 hit points each. 550 hit points for 750gp. There's another price comparison for you. It's an activation device and it doles out batches of 11, so it's more restrictive than a ring.

The 2,000gp price that was given above is way, way off track. An unlimited healing device that isn't activation based should be priced much higher.

Oh the other hand, you could just pick up the above mentioned wand. They're cheap as dirt, work great at out-of-combat healing, and can be activated by several classes as well as anyone with UMD. Especially after 2nd level (where you're at now), the price becomes trivial.

I'd like to note something else. The legendary 5-minute adventuring day is about more than healing. Once your party barbarian is out of rage and your wizard is out of spells, it's time to rest. Even if the rogue has infinite sneak attack and the ranger has a golf bag full of arrows, you've got a couple bored players. Sure, the barbarian can still take attacks, but the wizard is pretty dead bored.

Remove ads