Ring of Spell Storing

This little dispure about the Ring of Spell Storing came up. One player argues that the Ring can only hold spells at the lowest CL, judging by this section in the SRD.

<quote>A minor ring of spell storing contains up to three levels of spells that the wearer can cast. Each spell has a caster level equal to the minimum level needed to cast that spell.</quote>

The other argues this only applies to randomly generated spells in rings, and if he casts it in, the spell can be of any CL.

I am at a complete loss, because the Rings are fairly expensive, and I'm not certain if it's fair to nerth them like that.

Will

First Post
Well, as much as it seems a little icky, the wording seems pretty much minimum level, period.

I sympathize, though. :)

Darklone

It's not a nerf. They still rock. Compare them to a pearl of power or other stuff, but with more versatility.

And you can load it and give it to someone else without any access to spells who can use it. Granted, it's mostly useful at low levels, but with one arcane spellcaster in the group a second fireball in the first combat round against the BBEG may turn the tide.

Darklone

James McMurray said:
Or a Cure Serious Woundsto use when the party cleric gets knocked unconscious.
Oh, right. ;)

Somehow my groups all tend to have more than one, usually more than three healers... Right now a paladin, 2 clerics, 2 druids and a spellsinger (who has a ranger level and a huge heap of wands)... ;)

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Darklone said:
And you can load it and give it to someone else without any access to spells who can use it. Granted, it's mostly useful at low levels, but with one arcane spellcaster in the group a second fireball in the first combat round against the BBEG may turn the tide.

And since you can't put personal-only spells in potions any more, the Ring (or Ioun Stone) is one of the few ways for your barbarian tank to benefit from spells like Shield, Entropic Shield, Expeditious Retreat, Alter Self...

-Hyp.

FireLance

Legend
Hypersmurf said:
And since you can't put personal-only spells in potions any more, the Ring (or Ioun Stone) is one of the few ways for your barbarian tank to benefit from spells like Shield, Entropic Shield, Expeditious Retreat, Alter Self...

-Hyp.

Multiple realisation post:

First, I realised that a melee-type could really benefit from a Divine Favor stored in the ring.

Then, I realised it wouldn't be such a great benefit since it would be cast at 1st caster level, and thus only give a +1 luck bonus to hit and damage.

Then, I realised that you could Heighten it to 8th level, which means a minimum caster level of 15, which means a +5 luck bonus to hit and damage.

Then, I realised such a spell would take up 8 levels on a ring.

I guess this is what they mean by "balance".

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
FireLance said:
Then, I realised it wouldn't be such a great benefit since it would be cast at 1st caster level, and thus only give a +1 luck bonus to hit and damage.

Then, I realised that you could Heighten it to 8th level, which means a minimum caster level of 15, which means a +5 luck bonus to hit and damage.

Well, since it doesn't have a save, you'd be better off doing something like Heightening it to 7th and Extending it. Still a minimum caster level of 15, but you get twice the duration.

Feats like Empower Spell tend to give double benefits when you Store spells - for example, a Stored fireball deals 5d6 damage, but a Stored Empowered fireball deals 9d6 x1.5 damage.

-Hyp.

Darklone

Excuse me... I thought you could only store 3 spell levels in the ring? At least in the smaller version... but an empowered fireball (for example) is not possible with the minor ring, right???

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Darklone said:
... but an empowered fireball (for example) is not possible with the minor ring, right???

Right. You need one of the bigger ones to fit the 5 levels.

The argument's the same for an Empowered Magic Missile, though. Three CL1 Magic Missiles will fit in the minor ring - three shots of 1d4+1. Or a single CL5 Empowered Magic Missile - one volley of three missiles, (3d4+3) x 1.5.

-Hyp.

Last edited:

Remove ads