• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ring of Spell Storing

Darklone

Same for me... reading half-orc rang the barbarian bell... too many "a"s in paladin.

Hyp: So Extend and Persistent would stack for a two days duration? Boff.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Darklone said:
Hyp: So Extend and Persistent would stack for a two days duration? Boff.

It's debated :)

IMO, there's no rule that states otherwise.

Others prefer to generalise from the Empower/Maximise rule and apply it as a blanket to... well, certain metamagics. But not all. Or something. They generally lose me when they try to explain how you tell which Metamagics stack and which don't when you're generalising from a non-general rule.

-Hyp.

Inconsequenti-AL

Breaks Games
Darklone said:
Oh? Personal spells are not allowed for rings of spell storing???

*confused*

Duh...

Nope. I'm confused... I hadn't got round to using a 3.5 spells storing ring yet and misread a post by Hypersmurf earlier in the thread about no personal spells in potions.

Result = confusion.

Solution = I need more precious, precious sleep! :)

Edit: Spelling confused. Sleep != Sheep. :lol:

Last edited:

Lamoni

First Post
I have a question. What if a Paladin cast a 3rd level spell into the ring? Would it be considered a caster level of 6 (half of 12) or 5 (half of 11)? The Paladin gets 0 level 3 spells at level 11 and 1 level 3 spell at level 12. Do you count when they are available and therefore possible, or do you count when they are able to cast them without relying on their bonus spells?

Edit: you probably would never want to cast a Paladin spell into the ring, but the question also applies to rangers and bards.

Last edited:

FireLance said:
I guess this is what they mean by "balance".

Yup. They didn't prevent all abuses, but they did prevent a lot of them.

Now as for the Persistent Spell debate, it's now +6 spell levels, so you can't give a barbarian a huge bonus anymore.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Lamoni said:
I have a question. What if a Paladin cast a 3rd level spell into the ring? Would it be considered a caster level of 6 (half of 12) or 5 (half of 11)? The Paladin gets 0 level 3 spells at level 11 and 1 level 3 spell at level 12. Do you count when they are available and therefore possible, or do you count when they are able to cast them without relying on their bonus spells?

I'd say 5, since the spell can be cast at Caster Level 11. Even a Paladin with a Wis of 13 (no bonus 3rd level spell), if he's 12th level or higher, can choose to lower the caster level of his 3rd level spells to 11... but he can't choose to lower it to 10.

Edit: you probably would never want to cast a Paladin spell into the ring, but the question also applies to rangers and bards.

Holy Sword! :)

-Hyp.

Remove ads