• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

RIP Morbius

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Tell me about it. And I love that mouse-shaped laser-dot inching toward your forehead! Very fetch.

There can be only one IP in charge at Disney. And he lets you know.

giphy.gif

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
I wish I agreed, because that would mean box office numbers (or ratings, or whatever else indicates financial success) are the result of a meritocracy, and that word of mouth is as powerful as we'd like it to be. But in the same year that Blade Runner 2049 flopped, the live-action Beauty and the Beast made half a billion dollars in the U.S. alone. Whatever one thinks about BR2049, at least it still gets discussed, and audiences are still reevaluating it. Meanwhile, the live action Beauty and the Beast was a cultural fart in the wind. I keep forgetting it ever happened.

That same year there was a massive word-of-mouth success story: Get Out. But that movie was lightning in a bottle, that no one predicted, and its $176M made it a smash success no matter how low its budget was. Meanwhile, word of mouth and critical acclaim didn't pull Atomic Blonde or Lady Bird or tons of other well-received movies to anywhere near the same dizzying heights as Get Out. Are those movies worse than the better-performing Sully or Daddy's Home 2, or even less-talked-about at the time?

I don't think so, but it's all subjective, if you want it to be.
There are a lot of dimensions at play when evaluating a film. Financial success, cultural success, artistic success, etc... You may not think much of Get Out, but it hit more of these dimensions than Atomic Blonde did.

Ryujin

Legend
There are a lot of dimensions at play when evaluating a film. Financial success, cultural success, artistic success, etc... You may not think much of Get Out, but it hit more of these dimensions than Atomic Blonde did.
"Get Out" was a racial and cultural touchstone.
"Atomic Blonde" was another in a long line of hot woman action movies.

Last edited:

Well, I agree Morbius is DOA. But I think it's because it's an awful movie as opposed to it being buried by Sonic or whatever.

Edit: Also, it wouldn't surprise me that when this movie is finished bombing, that's IT for the Shared Spiderman Universe or whatever Sony's calling their MCU adjacent ripoff.

Last edited:

Remove ads