RIP Morbius

Ryujin

Legend
IMO, that was one of the film's problems - quite a lot of it looked derivative of other sci-fi and fantasy films, because as you say the DNA was found elsewhere. The circle of inspiration had become complete.
That's something that I've commented on many times (a few of them here). When an original work that inspires many gets no love and then finally gets a movie deal, it looks like it's ripping off all the ones that came after it.

Hex08

Hero
Not to derail the John Carter thread ;)
Something I just noticed about Morbius, much like the Venom movies it's getting bad reviews from critics but, according to Rottn Tomatoes (yes, I know their rating system is heavily flawed), the audience seems to be liking it. It's currently at only a 16% from critics but a 70% from audience reviews.

Last edited:

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
That's nothing new. Hollywood has different criteria when it comes to making movies. They know that you get praise for groundbreaking movies, and money from blockbusters that are basically the same movie you've seen a dozen times before.

Critics don't tend to look at movies for their entertainment value, which is all the average moviegoer cares about. Yeah yeah, acting, cinematography, story, yawn. Most people want action, a couple laughs, and awesome moments.

Ryujin

Legend
That's something that I've commented on many times (a few of them here). When an original work that inspires many gets no love and then finally gets a movie deal, it looks like it's ripping off all the ones that came after it.
I tend to think that viewer reviews are more valuable to the average person than are critics' reviews but finding a reliable source can be problematic, at best.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Something I just noticed about Morbius, much like the Venom movies it's getting bad reviews from critics but, according to Rottn Tomatoes (yes, I know their rating system is heavily flawed), the audience seem to be liking it. It's currently at only a 16% from critics but a 70% from audience reviews.

Yeah, but Morbius only made about $40 million in its opening. While that's not peanuts, it isn't great, either.

Into the Spider Verse only did $35 million in its opening, but it was getting 90% and more positive reviews from critics and viewers alike.

And, by the way, Venom had 30% rating with critics, Venom 2 had 58%. Both did about 80% with viewers.

Morbius is dying with critics, and is only 70% with viewers. That doesn't bode well.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Yeah, but Morbius only made about $40 million in its opening. While that's not peanuts, it isn't great, either.

Into the Spider Verse only did $35 million in its opening, but it was getting 90% and more positive reviews from critics and viewers alike.

And, by the way, Venom had 30% rating with critics, Venom 2 had 58%. Both did about 80% with viewers.

Morbius is dying with critics, and is only 70% with viewers. That doesn't bode well.
Yeah I was wondering if Morbius would get a Venom like viewers boost. Too much seems to be against them tho. Long delay on release, lesser known character, everyone on the planet except me hates Jared Leto...

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
I took my daughter to see the first Sonic (it was a last pre-Covid movie) and I'll be damned if that wasn't a hell of a good time. Turns out I was nostalgic for two things from the 90's; Sonic the Hedgehog and Jim Carrey making me laugh. Second one is a must see.

Morbius is a pass. I don't ask why Michael Bay gets to keep on making movies, but I often wonder why Jared Leto does.

I have even less interest in lining the pockets of the world's most powerful promoter of transphobia.

GreyLord

Legend
Not at all. The movie was flawed, but it was great. My issue was that Disney basically said "hey let's have our own Star Wars!" then realized they could buy actual Star Wars, so hung John Carter out to dry.

Same with Tron (Tron: Legacy) which is the BIGGER tragedy in my mind

Most of May will be dominated by Dr. Strange until Memorial Day weekend then Top Gun: Maverick will FINALLY be released
EDIT: I predict that the memorial day weekend will look like the following:
1. Top Gun Maverick
2. Doctor Strange
3. Bob's Burgers

I may be very wrong, but I'm going to predict Top Gun Maverick bombs...

IvyDragons

Explorer
I tend to think that viewer reviews are more valuable to the average person than are critics' reviews but finding a reliable source can be problematic, at best.
Keep in mind that all the viewers that want to see the movie are the first ones to review, so that early percentage is inflated.
Critics reviews are looking at a movie from a "technical" perspective. Technically venom was a poorly constructed movie, but it worked purely due to the 18 Charisma of Tom Hardy.

Lastly if its 3+ weeks past opening I am always confident in a movie meeting their IMDB rating. I find that value highly accurate once you have enough reviews. Of course if I particularly like the genre, I will like it more than the average.

waiting to see Morbius on cable down the line. I keep waiting for Leto to make the big jump

paid $5 us dollars for venom 2. It wasnt very good (really the begining has some ok banter and the ending extra scene was ok).

the fantastic beasts movies feel like a missed opportunity.The latest without Depp has a horrible review on ign (ususually they give 7's for bad movies but this was much worse) They are making money clearly but are they memorable and loved like the originals? I like the ideas in the movies such as Newt character its just not very interesting (hes got all these cute animal friends but none capture the heart like a Grogu)

Remove ads