Rise of Tiamat - Intro

mips42

Adventurer
Dumos/Robyn
After a few moments of reading, Captain Garwynn looks up at Dumos with an eyebrow raised. "A personal request from Grand Marshal Ravengard of Baldur's Gate? That is high praise indeed for any soldier, let alone one with such....controversial ancestry, if you'll forgive me being so gauche as to mention it. I'm intensely curious, though of course you don't owe me an answer; still, I can't help but wonder what exploits could have made the Flaming Fist himself esteem you so highly. You can't be just anybody, if he's asking you to meet him in Waterdeep 'with all reasonable haste', instead of simply having you await his return to his usual seat of power. Just what have you done to earn such honors?"
"You're right. I owe you nothing. But, as you have been helpful, I will tell you that there was a problem with the dead." Dumos looks down at the Guard captain. "They weren't staying in their graves. I put them back where they belonged."

Envisioner

Explorer
OOC: With that roll, Ashur is aware there are no fey, celestial, undead or fiendish presences in the area. There is something, but making sense of what it is is difficult, and you're not certain if it actually is a creature, or just a presence indicating one that used to be here, akin to the reptilian stench that lingers in a dragon's lair for weeks after the creature is slain and its carcass hauled away. The palpable disruption in the local harmony of the elements is not akin to that you'd experience around a major Aberration against the natural order - you know how to spot an Eye Tyrant or a Slaver Fish right off the bat, these are akin to tangible wounds in the "flesh" of the world, whereas this can better be equated to a minor rash with no apparent cause.

And congratulations, I've just decided to invent a new class feature or feat or something, which you will get for free in addition to your regular Ranger abilities, whenever I get around to figuring out exactly how I want it to work. Eventually I'll get it written up and maybe publish it on DM's Guild or something, but Ashur will have it before anyone else, and not have to give anything up to get it.

Ashur vanishes effortlessly into the low scrub that runs along the ridgeline down toward the pond; he can't get all the way there without emerging into the open, but he should be able to work his way close enough for a good look, and displays a preternatural skill to move through the tangled bushes without so much as rustling a leaf.

Bannor meanwhile manages to immediately step on a branch which bends under his weight with a loud creak, then promptly springs back up and whacks him in the butt as soon as he gets off it.

Envisioner

Explorer
The three in the fields
Ana doesn't vanish from view nearly as skillfully as Ashur, but both of them are effectively able to camoflauge themselves, particularly with Bannor acting (however unintentionally) as a distraction from their own movements. Eventually, both of the outlanders are able to approach to within about 20 feet of the pond, close enough to make out the scene in full detail. The chain hammered into the rock is clearly enchanted, with gleaming red sigils enameled onto every link; it leads away from the boulder to a length of about five feet before having finally broken, the end lying coiled in a patch of brown-stained grass and dirt right next to the mound of carrion. Eventually Bannor finishes tripping over his own feet and wanders close enough to the site that his approach disturbs the flies, who disperse and reveal the object - a massive goat's head, covered in black fur and bearing four imposing horns, all of which are ruddily stained with ancient blood.

Dumos

OOC: I don't want to get too far ahead of Robyn before BillD posts, so this is just a very minor reaction.

"That sounds borderline prosaic for the kind of work the Flaming Fists tend to do. Unless...this wasn't during their recent Chultan campaign, by any chance? I heard an entire encampment was wiped out by something called the Order of the Crocodile or whatever; supposedly even the ever-so-immaculate Order of the Gauntlet degenerated into borderline barbarism, out of sheer terror of whatever was picking them off in the night. You weren't involved in that insanity, were you?" (Yes, he really does say "or whatever; Garwynn Haladriel isn't exactly your average half-elf.)

Skarsgard

Explorer
Ashur grimaces at the scene. This smelt wrong and something unnatural had occurred here. Scanning the ground he looked for any tracks that might still remain.

Rolled a 5. :)

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Robyn decides to broach the subject of the oracle. "Captain Garwynn, when you let us in at the gate, you said our coming was heralded by an oracle. I do not know any particular oracles nor why our arrival would be fore-ordained. Is there more you can tell us of this holy woman?"

Remove ads