• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Rise of Tiamat Supplement is online

Paraxis

Explorer
And she's a CR 30 and super tough.

(One of my local stores broke street date, that annoyed me so I flipped thru, didn't buy, drove across town asked another store to reserve me a copy on street date )

EDIT: The release date was pushed forward to Nov 4th, so Wizards play network stores got them on the 24th of October, 4 days ago.

Original Post:Rise of tiamat had a release date of October 21st, Wizards play network stores can release 11 days early so October 10th. People have had the adventure for what 18 days now.

Last edited:

dream66_

First Post
It was changed to Nov 4th, but no matter I still would rather buy from the store I play encounters in. And they told me their supplier won't get it to them till Nov

Boarstorm

First Post
As a note on the side conversation:

Neither of my local WPN stores received it on time for the early release (which was Oct. 24, btw). Apparently there was a snafu with the distributor.

Sacrosanct

Legend
Belts of Giants STR have gone back to old school, just a set STR score instead of a bonus to whatever score you have. I don't mind that at all.

Same here. It's a belt of giant strength, so it should make you as strong as a giant. If it was a +X item instead, you could either have a lot more strength than the giant it was named after, or have a lot less strength than the giant it was named after. In both cases, pretty dumb to call it a "Belt of X giant" strength if you only ever got the strength value of said giant if you had Y value to begin with.

And for all those arguments of, "It's a waste then for my 20 STR fighter to have it when the 10 STR wizard can put it on and suddenly be just as good as me, and I feel like I wasted all my stat boosts.", I have the following responses:

1. So what? Most groups I have played with give items to the person who can benefit the most. It's called being part of a team. You're not being cheated because you might not be the PC to benefit the most from an item
2. That wizard might be able to have equitable bonuses to hit and damage with weapons like the fighter, but he probably still only has 1 attack per round and is super squishy, so I highly doubt a wizard with something like this suddenly replaces the fighter. Let the wizard take that belt, and make him give you your ring of spell storing that he pumps spells into if you think it's so game breaking
3. If you purposely gimped your str based fighter with str as a dump stat because you're assuming you'll get this item, good luck with that.

kalani

First Post
(One of my local stores broke street date, that annoyed me so I flipped thru, didn't buy, drove across town asked another store to reserve me a copy on street date )
Are you sure they broke street date and were not a WPN store (WPN stores are allowed to sell all products 11 days early - the release date for WPN stores was October 24th).

Paraxis

Explorer
They literally give you Hill Giant Strength... I don't know what else you were wanting?

First not an issue in the games I run, I will just never hand them out. Great thing about magic items that you don't like as a DM just don't have them in your campaign world.

In the games I play I find them horrible.

Strength based character, spends ability increases to boost his strength to a 20. Say he starts with a 16, that takes him two of his increases, that he could have spent on another ability like Con or gotten two nice feats that would give him more options. The party acquires a belt of hill giant strength, it goes to the cleric or other melee type and the fighter feels jipped he didn't take those feats or Con points because if would have taken them he would be best served by the belt.
Now the same party instead finds a belt of frost giant strength, it goes to the fighter and sure he is happy for the extra +1 to hit and damage, until he realizes he still wasted those ability score increases, if he had chosen feats and his strength was still a 16 the belt would still give him the same bonus.

Finding a magic item should never make you regret your previous choices, especially if those choices can not be undone.

But in the end, I find strength build characters boring and mostly play dex focused or spellcasters so I doubt I will ever feel like I wasted my ability score increases, just feel bad for those who do.

Astrosicebear

First Post
First not an issue in the games I run, I will just never hand them out. Great thing about magic items that you don't like as a DM just don't have them in your campaign world.

In the games I play I find them horrible.

Strength based character, spends ability increases to boost his strength to a 20. Say he starts with a 16, that takes him two of his increases, that he could have spent on another ability like Con or gotten two nice feats that would give him more options. The party acquires a belt of hill giant strength, it goes to the cleric or other melee type and the fighter feels jipped he didn't take those feats or Con points because if would have taken them he would be best served by the belt.
Now the same party instead finds a belt of frost giant strength, it goes to the fighter and sure he is happy for the extra +1 to hit and damage, until he realizes he still wasted those ability score increases, if he had chosen feats and his strength was still a 16 the belt would still give him the same bonus.

Finding a magic item should never make you regret your previous choices, especially if those choices can not be undone.

But in the end, I find strength build characters boring and mostly play dex focused or spellcasters so I doubt I will ever feel like I wasted my ability score increases, just feel bad for those who do.

I feel like in 3 years we are going to look abck and say, "Fighters who put stats in STR are doing it wrong". Not jsut because of the "possibility" of these items, but also because HP > STR. A fighter simply gets more bang for buck out of CON than STR.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads