• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Rising from the Last War preview featuring Keith Baker

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Multiclassing is just as optional as feats are. Honestly, I wouldn't have an issue with dragonmarked monks just being able to use their qi to activate dragonmarked abilities. For fighters I could see a "dragonmarked warrior" fighting style that lets them tap the advanced dragonmark abilities. I'll have to think on an opportunity cost solution for Rogues.
This.

Also, in 3.5 and 4e, the Marks granted spell-like abilities, and rituals, not spells.

In 5e they don’t distinguish between spell-like and a spell, but that doesn’t make it appropriate to lock “I was born with a more powerful mark” behind Spellcasting.

And unless it works unlike all other spell granting features, an arcane trickster or Eldritch knight heir simply cannot have the most powerful dragonmarked abilities. They’ll never have high enough level Spellcasting!

Salthorae

Imperial Mountain Dew Taster
Yes I'm fully aware that would make Variant Human get TWO FEATS if you did that

You can't be both a variant human and a dragonmarked human in any of the published to date options. Dragonmarked players/NPC have a different racial subtype that grants the Lesser Mark abilities.

What about the Medium Dragonmarks? Or the Slightly-Bigger-Than-Medium-But-Smaller-Than-Greater Dragonmarks? I would suggest that the Lesser/Greater dragonmark idea is an artefact of 3rd edition feat trees, rather than a "realistic" depiction of something that should really be a continuum.

I mean, an artefact of 3rd Edition rules or not, all the fiction and rules to date have made a hard and fast delineation as far as I know/have read. You're a lesser mark or a greater mark, the former morphs into the latter unexpectedly, etc. Siberys marks are their own whole animal. Are there rules for Siberys marks in the new book that anyone knows/has seen?

To change it now to some odd progression that requires spellcasting to access the higher mark abilities just seems odd to me and doesn't feel right.

I don't think it'd be a hardship for tables that "don't play with feats" to at least play with Great Dragonmarks as a set of feats. It's already naturally gatekept in that only those of the appropriate Dragonmark can even take them, so you're limited to probably one or two players at a given table who will have access to these abilities anyway.

Salthorae

There's no rules for Siberys marks, but I know a few different dmsguild authors have taken a stab at it as feats that require min. character level 12

Shame they don't have it in official in any way.

While I don't agree with their "greater" implementation method, based on what I've heard of it so far, at least its there. Siberys is such a cool part of the Marks and the lore it seems like a waste not to have it in there.

Also - putting it behind a feat wall means that would still exclude any table that doesn't use feats... so same argument related to the Greater Marks would ensue.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
You can't be both a variant human and a dragonmarked human in any of the published to date options. Dragonmarked players/NPC have a different racial subtype that grants the Lesser Mark abilities.

I mean, an artefact of 3rd Edition rules or not, all the fiction and rules to date have made a hard and fast delineation as far as I know/have read. You're a lesser mark or a greater mark, the former morphs into the latter unexpectedly, etc. Siberys marks are their own whole animal. Are there rules for Siberys marks in the new book that anyone knows/has seen?

To change it now to some odd progression that requires spellcasting to access the higher mark abilities just seems odd to me and doesn't feel right.

I don't think it'd be a hardship for tables that "don't play with feats" to at least play with Great Dragonmarks as a set of feats. It's already naturally gatekept in that only those of the appropriate Dragonmark can even take them, so you're limited to probably one or two players at a given table who will have access to these abilities anyway.
As well, having dragonmarked characters is a bit like having Jedi in a SW game, or PCs of royal parentage.

That is, available at the discretion of the GM.

That's not how they are presented in the 5e books.

Or, if it's like a SW game, it's Old Republic SW, where anyone can play a jedi.
Can you realize that that's not what we're arguing? We get that! What we're saying is that we prefer the old way!

The way it is now, the very fiction of the game itself is altered because now, all spellcasters are guaranteed to be "Greater Marked", while all martials are locked out. This throws a wrench into the internal fiction of a few of the houses, most notable House Deneith, the mercenary/bodyguard house. Have it from Anthony Turco, author of the Adventurer's Almanac, one of the best DM's Guild supplements for Eberron:

[11:41 PM] NovaSeaker: From their earliest conception, dragonmarks grew in size and complexity and granted more potent magical powers the greater the mark was
[11:41 PM] NovaSeaker: A staff or rod that lets you cast spells tied to your mark is great
[11:42 PM] NovaSeaker: But it doesn't convey the same prestige and significance as being the bearer of a Greater Dragonmark
[11:43 PM] NovaSeaker: You didn't need to learn to use the mark before. As you grew in ability and significance, so did your mark.
[11:44 PM] NovaSeaker: Also, let's be real, it's not like we have to take the Fighter down any more pegs
[11:44 PM] NovaSeaker: There's no reason whatsoever to thumb our noses at them
[11:45 PM] NovaSeaker: Taking a feat can also be just as much a sign of training, if you like
[11:46 PM] NovaSeaker: Picking up a staff and attuning to it, much less so
[11:47 PM] NovaSeaker: Also, in lore, House Deneith's heirs with the Greater Mark of the Sentinel should be world class fighters
[11:47 PM] NovaSeaker: Not wizards
11:48 PM] NovaSeaker: Blademarks and Sentinel Marshals aren't known for their spellcasting expertise
[11:48 PM] NovaSeaker: Not exactly
[11:49 PM] NovaSeaker: EK can't cast 5th level spells, and it only gets 4th at insanely high levels for Eberron
[11:50 PM] NovaSeaker: So to get like, moderate magical power from the mark, you need to be the single most badass swordsman to live in a century
[11:50 PM] NovaSeaker: Not exactly filling the ranks of the Blademarks
[11:53 PM] NovaSeaker: Deneith hiers should be capable of casting the 5th level spells of their mark when they're of a level to be of notable skill, but not a hero out of legend. They regularly put a price on the services of such heirs

Salthorae

The way it is now, the very fiction of the game itself is altered because now, all spellcasters are guaranteed to be "Greater Marked", while all martials are locked out. This throws a wrench into the internal fiction of a few of the houses, most notable House Deneith, the mercenary/bodyguard house. Have it from Anthony Turco, author of the Adventurer's Almanac, one of the best DM's Guild supplements for Eberron:

What's the source for that slate of quote from Anthony Turco?

Bitbrain

Lost in Dark Sun
Can you realize that that's not what we're arguing? We get that! What we're saying is that we prefer the old way!

[11:41 PM] NovaSeaker: From their earliest conception, dragonmarks grew in size and complexity and granted more potent magical powers the greater the mark was
[11:41 PM] NovaSeaker: A staff or rod that lets you cast spells tied to your mark is great
[11:42 PM] NovaSeaker: But it doesn't convey the same prestige and significance as being the bearer of a Greater Dragonmark
[11:43 PM] NovaSeaker: You didn't need to learn to use the mark before. As you grew in ability and significance, so did your mark.
[11:44 PM] NovaSeaker: Also, let's be real, it's not like we have to take the Fighter down any more pegs
[11:44 PM] NovaSeaker: There's no reason whatsoever to thumb our noses at them
[11:45 PM] NovaSeaker: Taking a feat can also be just as much a sign of training, if you like
[11:46 PM] NovaSeaker: Picking up a staff and attuning to it, much less so
[11:47 PM] NovaSeaker: Also, in lore, House Deneith's heirs with the Greater Mark of the Sentinel should be world class fighters
[11:47 PM] NovaSeaker: Not wizards
11:48 PM] NovaSeaker: Blademarks and Sentinel Marshals aren't known for their spellcasting expertise
[11:48 PM] NovaSeaker: Not exactly
[11:49 PM] NovaSeaker: EK can't cast 5th level spells, and it only gets 4th at insanely high levels for Eberron
[11:50 PM] NovaSeaker: So to get like, moderate magical power from the mark, you need to be the single most badass swordsman to live in a century
[11:50 PM] NovaSeaker: Not exactly filling the ranks of the Blademarks
[11:53 PM] NovaSeaker: Deneith hiers should be capable of casting the 5th level spells of their mark when they're of a level to be of notable skill, but not a hero out of legend. They regularly put a price on the services of such heirs

This is Wizards of the Coast we are talking about.

Not Sorcerers of the Shore, and definitely not Fighters of the Forest...

Personally, in the event someone at my table wants to make a new character who belongs to one of the Dragonmarked Houses, I’ll be giving them the expanded spell list for free.
They’ll get to cast one of the two 1st level spells offered by their chosen mark at 3rd level, one of the two 2nd level spells at 5th, and so forth.

Remove ads