D&D 5E Ritual expansion

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
I must gave missed that bit, could you point me to the page(s) this happened on.
Maybe it was just in the UA and didn't make it into Tasha's, IDK since I don't own the book... If it didn't make it in, my mistake. 🤷‍♂️

In general, I despise Tasha's in pretty much every way possible so at this point I blame everything that is to follow on it. ;)

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Maybe it was just in the UA and didn't make it into Tasha's, IDK since I don't own the book... If it didn't make it in, my mistake. 🤷‍♂️

In general, I despise Tasha's in pretty much every way possible so at this point I blame everything that is to follow on it. ;)
So you hate what’s in the book despite not having it or knowing what’s really in it. That doesn’t make sense. But it’s nothing new for most gamers.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
So you hate what’s in the book despite not having it or knowing what’s really in it. That doesn’t make sense. But it’s nothing new for most gamers.
Well, let's see...

I've browsed through it weeks ago (one of the players had a copy), saw how horrible most of it was (when that player wanted to bring stuff into the game), was aware of a lot of the UA material that made it into it (which I don't use either), and see the direction it's taking the game... which is why I will blame everything that is to follow on it. ;)

So, makes perfect sense to me.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Just throwing out how a different d20 system did it, not to say they are right but just to open the discussion up a bit from 5e design consideration.

13th Age has spells that are primarily combat focused (plus the Swiss Army "Utility Spell"), but every spell can be transformed by ritual. Casting time varies based on DM choice, but every spell can beome any sort of related spell as a ritual. For example, if you want a Fireworks spectacular, you could ritual cast Fireball. But you could likely cast Fireball to light a forge hot enough to forge magical metals, or whatever the player can come up with that the DM approves.

Now, one thing I think could be improved for my taste is that it uses up the slot - many players are loathe to use what they see as combat resources for out-of-combat pillars of play. 4e did that well.

Make ritual casting of things like raise dead and various divination spells possible. Not to save casters slots, but to allow non-casters with the ritual caster feat access to more useful spells. To my mind, making more spells available to non-casters helps with utility and ever so fractionally with the LFQW problem. Also solves the cleric’s dead, how do we raise the cleric problem. You could then give everyone ritual caster for free and emulate a high magic setting even easier. But that’s just madness.
The issue is that the stated intent might be to try to make non-casters better, by making them into casters. However the actual result is going to be an overall boost to casters that already cast rituals.

Ritual full-casters get more rituals, rather than rely on DM actively granting them. It also allows them to be more powerful/get more spotlight in general by having more spells available to cast in a day, because they no longer have to budget non-combat utility spell slots with combat spell slots.

If you have other houserules in place to limit casters overshadowing non-casters, and feel like the ritual casters need a boost its a definite option.

Remove ads