Rituals

malraux

First Post
Cure Disease is impressive. Flubbing the heal check removes the disease by killing the host. Sounds like diseases actually matter again. Oooo, and it kinda scales by level.

Kishin

First Post
Raise Dead said:
The subject returns with a death penalty: –1 to all attack rolls, skill checks, saving throws, and ability checks. This death penalty fades after the subject reaches three milestones.

I thought 4E was supposed to be WoW. Apparently, its actually Guild Wars. ;)

Figured I'd get that one out of the way before it became complained about in earnest.

Oompa

First Post
Detecting secret doors 10 minutes t cast.. and 25 gp to do.. and then only find an door in line of sight? Hate it if you have big rooms with many walls..

I dont think this will be an ritual that wont be used much..

william_nova

Explorer
Kishin said:
I thought 4E was supposed to be WoW. Apparently, its actually Guild Wars. ;)

Figured I'd get that one out of the way before it became complained about in earnest.

I've played WoW but not Guild Wars, how do the 4e rituals remind you of GW? Assuming you're serious. I can't tell.

Personally I like the new rituals, it seems like the more combat-y magic are under spells, and all the cool funky "wizard" stuff I was holding my breath hoping hadn't been nerfed or removed are now rituals. The classes of rituals are nicely done, and its great to see quirky spells like Knock and Magic Mouth are still available. Hallelujah!

tombowings

First Post
william_nova said:
I've played WoW but not Guild Wars, how do the 4e rituals remind you of GW? Assuming you're serious. I can't tell.

Personally I like the new rituals, it seems like the more combat-y magic are under spells, and all the cool funky "wizard" stuff I was holding my breath hoping hadn't been nerfed or removed are now rituals. The classes of rituals are nicely done, and its great to see quirky spells like Knock and Magic Mouth are still available. Hallelujah!

He's referring to the "death penalty" provided by the Raise Dead ritual. When you die in Guild Wars, you take a death penalty, just like 4E.

djdaidouji

First Post
Raise Dead... I don't see why there is a special heal component. Why would a salve raise the dead? "New moisturizer from Oil of Olay, rejuvenate your skin, and bring yourself back from the dead, now with shea butter."
The flavor text actually states that you pray to the gods to return your friend, so I think it would be a much better religion ritual, or even arcana. The whole ritual thing doesn't fit very well with the power sources either. What source is heal from, exactly?

I like the idea of Rituals. They make sense to the current system. However, I have to say I'm not pleased with how they are made. Possibly if a ritual required a specific component, rather then generic salves and herbs. Make Whole wouldn't be "Alchemical Regent," it would be "Petrified Dragon Acid," making it much more exciting to find in a treasure chest...

bganon

Explorer
Oompa said:
Detecting secret doors 10 minutes t cast.. and 25 gp to do.. and then only find an door in line of sight? Hate it if you have big rooms with many walls..

I dont think this will be an ritual that wont be used much..

5 minutes if you use a scroll (though that increases the effective cost to 150 gp). And the bonus to the Perception check is huge; most Wizards will have at least +5(trained)+4(stat)+level/2 to Arcana. So that's +10 even if you roll the minimum on the Arcana check. More likely it's going to be +20 or so, much higher than anyone else would normally get on a Perception check.

tombowings

First Post
djdaidouji said:
Raise Dead... I don't see why there is a special heal component. Why would a salve raise the dead? "New moisturizer from Oil of Olay, rejuvenate your skin, and bring yourself back from the dead, now with shea butter."
The flavor text actually states that you pray to the gods to return your friend, so I think it would be a much better religion ritual, or even arcana. The whole ritual thing doesn't fit very well with the power sources either. What source is heal from, exactly?

I like the idea of Rituals. They make sense to the current system. However, I have to say I'm not pleased with how they are made. Possibly if a ritual required a specific component, rather then generic salves and herbs. Make Whole wouldn't be "Alchemical Regent," it would be "Petrified Dragon Acid," making it much more exciting to find in a treasure chest...

I agree with you with the opinion that raise dead should be Religion based. However, since no roll is necessary, I'm not going to sweat it.

On the other hand, I like how the ritual components are very general, it gives more options to the players and how they, specifically, use alchemical ingredients, and such, to power their rituals. Additionally, I plan to house rule components to some of the major rituals (or my own creation, of course) that the PCs will have to quest more; having the norm be more general just makes those rituals stand out more (contrast is key). Welll, you mileage may vary.

coyote6

Adventurer
Yeah, Detect Secret Doors is for when you are convinced there's a secret door around somewhere, and you've already utterly failed to find it via mundane methods.

I just noticed that ritual names aren't italicized; no more raise dead, now it's Raise Dead. Does that count as another Sacred Cow (or should I say, sacred cow) chopped up and tossed on the grill?

Remove ads