• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

TSR Rob Kuntz Recounts The Origins Of D&D

In this interesting article from Kotaku, Rob Kuntz relates a history of early TSR that differs somewhat from the narrative we usually hear. It delves into the relationship between Gary Gygax and Dave Arneson (D&D's co-creators) and the actual development of the game, which dates back to Arneson in 1971.

hl9tabacful74fpqzzkx.png

In this interesting article from Kotaku, Rob Kuntz relates a history of early TSR that differs somewhat from the narrative we usually hear. It delves into the relationship between Gary Gygax and Dave Arneson (D&D's co-creators) and the actual development of the game, which dates back to Arneson in 1971.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Huh, when I click the link, nothing happens.

Here's the original story, some interesting tidbits from Kuntz I hadn't heard before, though it seems to match my impression of early D&D days:

Last edited:

Hussar

Legend
I kinda don’t get it. I mean this is the story as I understood from recent times. And I don’t think it’s really that disputed except in minor details.... maybe?
I think that those of us who are deep into the weeds like we are, probably have gleaned a fair bit of the details over the years. OTOH, outside of us, I think that it's Gary Gygax=D&D. I mean, you have Gygax in all sorts of pop culture references, but, I can't recall ever seeing a single reference to Arneson.

I think that those of us who are deep into the weeds like we are, probably have gleaned a fair bit of the details over the years. OTOH, outside of us, I think that it's Gary Gygax=D&D. I mean, you have Gygax in all sorts of pop culture references, but, I can't recall ever seeing a single reference to Arneson.

Gary really was the Stan Lee of D&D, with all the good and bad that comes with that compairison.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads