TSR Rob Kuntz Recounts The Origins Of D&D

In this interesting article from Kotaku, Rob Kuntz relates a history of early TSR that differs somewhat from the narrative we usually hear. It delves into the relationship between Gary Gygax and Dave Arneson (D&D's co-creators) and the actual development of the game, which dates back to Arneson in 1971.

hl9tabacful74fpqzzkx.png

In this interesting article from Kotaku, Rob Kuntz relates a history of early TSR that differs somewhat from the narrative we usually hear. It delves into the relationship between Gary Gygax and Dave Arneson (D&D's co-creators) and the actual development of the game, which dates back to Arneson in 1971.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Huh, when I click the link, nothing happens.

Here's the original story, some interesting tidbits from Kuntz I hadn't heard before, though it seems to match my impression of early D&D days:

Last edited:

Hussar

Legend
I kinda don’t get it. I mean this is the story as I understood from recent times. And I don’t think it’s really that disputed except in minor details.... maybe?
I think that those of us who are deep into the weeds like we are, probably have gleaned a fair bit of the details over the years. OTOH, outside of us, I think that it's Gary Gygax=D&D. I mean, you have Gygax in all sorts of pop culture references, but, I can't recall ever seeing a single reference to Arneson.

I think that those of us who are deep into the weeds like we are, probably have gleaned a fair bit of the details over the years. OTOH, outside of us, I think that it's Gary Gygax=D&D. I mean, you have Gygax in all sorts of pop culture references, but, I can't recall ever seeing a single reference to Arneson.

Gary really was the Stan Lee of D&D, with all the good and bad that comes with that compairison.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads