TSR Rob Kuntz Recounts The Origins Of D&D

hl9tabacful74fpqzzkx.png

In this interesting article from Kotaku, Rob Kuntz relates a history of early TSR that differs somewhat from the narrative we usually hear. It delves into the relationship between Gary Gygax and Dave Arneson (D&D's co-creators) and the actual development of the game, which dates back to Arneson in 1971.

Last edited by a moderator:

This was posted online from the supposed foreword of the Holmes set. It was an early hit entering those search terms....

https://www.americanroads.us/DandD/DnD_Basic_Rules_Holmes.pdf

If quoting here is not allowed I will happily edit it out.

"ONCE UPON A TIME, long, long ago there was a lit- tle group known as the Castle and Crusade Society. Their fantasy rules were published, and to this writer's knowledge, brought about much of the current interest in fantasy wargaming. For a time the group grew and prospered, and Dave Arneson decided to begin a medieval fantasy campaign game for his active Twin Cities club. From the map of the "land" of the "Great Kingdom" and environs — the territory of C & C Society — Dave located a nice bog wherein to nest the weird enclave of "Blackmoor," a spot between the "Giant Kingdom" and the fearsome "Egg of Coot." From the CHAINMAIL fantasy rules he drew ideas for a far more complex and exciting game, and thus began a cam- paign which still thrives as of this writing! In due course the news reached my ears, and the result is what you have in your hands at this moment."

E. Gary Gygax 1973

The above is the Forward [sic] reprinted from OD&D; but I am sure you knew that?

Warpiglet

Adventurer
"The above is the Forward [sic] reprinted from OD&D; but I am sure you knew that?"

I started play with AD&D. I hadn't ever read this.

I think it supports the idea that Arneson helped in a big way, invent D&D. In short it backs up a lot of what you are saying---and it's written by Gygax.

Don't get me wrong---I still think well of Gygax and what he did. I just think this is a really clear statement about the huge contributions of others.

Did I mention it's written by Gygax :)

"The above is the Forward [sic] reprinted from OD&D; but I am sure you knew that?"

I started play with AD&D. I hadn't ever read this.

I think it supports the idea that Arneson helped in a big way, invent D&D. In short it backs up a lot of what you are saying---and it's written by Gygax.

Don't get me wrong---I still think well of Gygax and what he did. I just think this is a really clear statement about the huge contributions of others.

Did I mention it's written by Gygax :)
It's the original "Forward" to OD&D 1974. EDIT: Nevermind this post, duplicated above, Cheers!

Last edited:

Burt Baccara

Explorer
Hi Rob,

I a recent Cumudgeon in the Cellar on YouTube Tim Kask talked about Don Kaye. Tim said Don played wargames with Gary, but was not really a wargamer, mostly just doing it to hand out with his childhood friend. Tim also says Don was basically the just a mony guy who funded Gary after Gary sold him the dream.

I suspect both of the above miss the mark, greatly.

You knew Don. Was Don a gamer? Was Don hands on with Tactical Studies Rules for the approximate one year (one year and 3 months I believe) that Don was alive after the formation of the partnership?

Hi Rob,

I a recent Cumudgeon in the Cellar on YouTube Tim Kask talked about Don Kaye. Tim said Don played wargames with Gary, but was not really a wargamer, mostly just doing it to hand out with his childhood friend. Tim also says Don was basically the just a mony guy who funded Gary after Gary sold him the dream.

I suspect both of the above miss the mark, greatly.

You knew Don. Was Don a gamer? Was Don hands on with Tactical Studies Rules for the approximate one year (one year and 3 months I believe) that Don was alive after the formation of the partnership?

Tim barely knew Don and has no comprehensive perspective. I will be publishing a send up to him in the next few months (already finished). Don and I were good friends a long time; and Gary was friends with Don from childhood. For instance, I am the only person who played in Don's "Castle" when he constructed it and no one else in the LGTSA (when I was president) showed up for the invites to play. I get into that level of professional and personal detail in the send-up.

Zardnaar

Legend
Tim barely knew Don and has no comprehensive perspective. I will be publishing a send up to him in the next few months (already finished). Don and I were good friends a long time; and Gary was friends with Don from childhood. For instance, I am the only person who played in Don's "Castle" when he constructed it and no one else in the LGTSA (when I was president) showed up for the invites to play. I get into that level of professional and personal detail in the send-up.

Thanks for your early day perspectives, it's interesting IMHO.

Zardnaar

Legend
Well, I will say, IN ALL CERTAINTY, that Gary's Ghost would clobber T. Kask for his outrageous statements and leave it at that.

Not sure if the reference.

I missed GH the 1st time round but lean heavily towards the earlier stuff. Kinda liked the Paizohawk stuff but prefer the older stuff.

Had trouble following the 2E stuff, Paizohawk seemed to focus on new areas if the map.

Not sure if the reference.

I missed GH the 1st time round but lean heavily towards the earlier stuff. Kinda liked the Paizohawk stuff but prefer the older stuff.

Had trouble following the 2E stuff, Paizohawk seemed to focus on new areas if the map.

Did you drop this in the wrong thread rather than the GH one?

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases