D&D 5E Rogue disjoins artifact, fails will save - what next?

Vargo

First Post
Theoretical situation:

A rogue uses a scroll of Mordy's Disjunction via Use Magic Device, and Disjoins an artifact, then fails the will save.

What happens to him?

Jack Simth

First Post
He permanently loses all spellcasting abilities.

What that MEANS is up to DM interpertation - some would say he can simply never take levels in any spellcasting class. Some would say he can't use scrolls/wands/staves even by UMD anymore. Others might say he can't make use of ANY magic item (except the cursed variety). Don't know of anything particularly RAW based.

Corsair

First Post
From the will save? Nothing, assuming he doesn't normally have spellcasting abilities. (Though the question as to whether he can multiclass into a spellcasting class later is up for debate)

If I were the rogue, I'd worry more about the percentile dice.

"Note: Destroying artifacts is a dangerous business, and it is 95% likely to attract the attention of some powerful being who has an interest in or connection with the device."

Taraxia

First Post
Jack Simth said:
He permanently loses all spellcasting abilities.

What that MEANS is up to DM interpertation - some would say he can simply never take levels in any spellcasting class. Some would say he can't use scrolls/wands/staves even by UMD anymore. Others might say he can't make use of ANY magic item (except the cursed variety). Don't know of anything particularly RAW based.

Using magic items is definitely not "spellcasting". Casting a spell is a particular kind of action in D&D, and you are only said to be "casting a spell" if you actually cast a spell or use a spell completion item. Spell trigger items shouldn't count, and command-word or continuous-use items *definitely* don't count -- the property of a magic pair of boots that they haste you when you say "Abracadabra" depends solely on the boots, not on any "ability" you have.

UMD is a gray area, but if it doesn't count as spellcasting for feats or PrC req's that require spellcasting -- which it doesn't -- I would say it doesn't count as spellcasting here, either.

Taraxia

First Post
Corsair said:
From the will save? Nothing, assuming he doesn't normally have spellcasting abilities. (Though the question as to whether he can multiclass into a spellcasting class later is up for debate)

If I were the rogue, I'd worry more about the percentile dice.

"Note: Destroying artifacts is a dangerous business, and it is 95% likely to attract the attention of some powerful being who has an interest in or connection with the device."

I would take the interpretation that if he does multiclass into it the class won't grant him spellcasting.

Though taking the interpretation that multiclassing into wizard starting *now* gives him spellcasting starting at that level is far from unbalancedly powerful.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Actually I would make it that NO magic works on him, he can't heal normally, and he's forever cursed.

Hey artifacts man, disjoining them is tricky. Just ask Frazzy.

Corsair

First Post
Nightfall said:
Actually I would make it that NO magic works on him, he can't heal normally, and he's forever cursed.

Hey artifacts man, disjoining them is tricky. Just ask Frazzy.

That is more the issue covered under the 95% thing. vecna disapproves of disjoining his eye.

Endur

First Post
I would rule that the Rogue can't use UMD for scrolls, spell-triggers, spell-completions, or anything where he is mimicing a spell-caster. Essentially, he can't pretend to be a spell-caster with UMD skill anymore.

Plot-Device

First Post
Campaign setting should be taken in to account.

In faerun the weave and mystra factor in. Can you not cast because Mystra is denying you the weave for destroying high magic? Or is it backlash from high magic imploding the weave around you? Maybe you could go talk to mystra and you and her can sort this out.

Also please note that it says you lose all spellcasting ability. It doesn't say you can't find new spellcasting methods. It just says you lose the ones you have and can't get them by via mortal magic.

Final Note: If you pop an artifact important to an artifact, lets say you pop hextor's gauntlets or something. It's pretty much guranteed to get his attention. But there a good chance it will show up on his Good Aligned brothers radar too. Just remember that making enemies sometimes means making friends.

Sejs

First Post
Well, he'd lose all spellcasting ability.

Which, if he had none... no big loss.

I would not extrapolate that to say he can't use magic items, can't UMD, or anything like that. That's above and beyond the listed consequences. I'd probably be nice and not have his disjunction affect any future spellcasting class levels he may take, but that's just me.

Nah, as has been said, it's not the will save he's got to look out for - it's the percentage roll.

Remove ads