D&D 5E Rogue disjoins artifact, fails will save - what next?

Nifft

Penguin Herder
It's a Will save. Anyone who could cast Disjunction as a spellcaster would have a chance against it. Rogue? Not so much. Also, he blew a magic item to do the Disjunction. He spent a lot of gold on it I'd assume.

That rule is to stop Sorcerers and Wizards from spamming Disjunctions. Otherwise, they could Disjoin every day, and artifacts would be far less cool.

If the Rogue did it every day, I assume he'd go broke quick.

-- N

EDIT: So, if it's not obvious from the above, I favor the interpretation that says: Rogue loses spellcasting, which in his case means he loses nothing, unless he was hoping to take a spellcasting class.

Shellman

First Post
Corsair said:
From the will save? Nothing, assuming he doesn't normally have spellcasting abilities. (Though the question as to whether he can multiclass into a spellcasting class later is up for debate)
I agree, since the Rogue class doesn't have any spell casting ability in the first place!

Last edited:

Shellman

First Post
Taraxia said:
Using magic items is definitely not "spellcasting". Casting a spell is a particular kind of action in D&D, and you are only said to be "casting a spell" if you actually cast a spell or use a spell completion item. Spell trigger items shouldn't count, and command-word or continuous-use items *definitely* don't count -- the property of a magic pair of boots that they haste you when you say "Abracadabra" depends solely on the boots, not on any "ability" you have.

UMD is a gray area, but if it doesn't count as spellcasting for feats or PrC req's that require spellcasting -- which it doesn't -- I would say it doesn't count as spellcasting here, either.

Another good point and why I think that the Rogue has nothing to worry about other than attracting the unwanted attention of a powerful being with ties to the artifact. That is why you don't see Rogue's running all over the place disjoining artifacts.

PallidPatience

First Post
I'd like to point out that losing the ability to cast spells is probably different from losing the potential for the ability. He'd lose his current spellcasting ability (none), but still be able to learn to cast spells later, UNLESS....

Unless you run a world where not just everyone with the Intelligence score can become a wizard, not just anyone with the Charisma score can become a sorcerer or bard, not just any with the Wisdom score can become a cleric or druid... But that's not the standard setting, at all.

Remove ads