WotC Roll for Combat got to try the 3D vtt and he seems to like it. Live streaming now.

Now I am thinking abouot D&D VTT with naval fight and battle of spelljammers in the wildspace. I mean now the software would be possible, and it could be other adventage over the rivals.

* What if Epic Games created their own VTT? This could be a serious rival.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Sounds like Talespire or Mirrorscape to me........Which, cool. but it will only get me if it has tight integration with Beyond and the tools there (and the ability to turn that off if you don't want it).

I own both of those tools (Mirrorscape is free, but to really use it you need to spend LOTS OF MONEY on terrain and minis, and TS has an insane amount of terrain and minis, but every player needs to own a copy, which isn't that much money, but you have to find those people).

Stalker0

Legend
So, this is a dilemma for me. Like you, painting miniatures (and lately, terrain) is my jam. It's my relaxation hobby, and I love building and using elaborate sets for games. In another era, I'm probably a model railroad guy. So the analog, tangible world of miniatures-based game that I love feels a bit threatened by this.

Because what if it is so good and so easy to use that I just start gravitating towards it? It's...like I'm having a potentially awesome new drug dangled in front of me, but I'm already happy with my plastic addiction. Don't make me choose!

I suspect they are aiming squarely at the same folks who find DDB about as complex as they are willing to go, in terms of virtual experience. i.e. Technologically limited folks like me. Like, I spent a day trying to figure out Roll20 and gave up. Whereas DDB was just easy and intuitive. The new DDB maps feature? I was using it within 2 minutes. Two minutes! Me! That's impressive idiot-proofing.

So I look at something like Foundry and am like, "there is no way I am even trying that." And I think I'm the guy WotC wants to open up their VTT and just sort of click a few times and be good to go.
Hell I am a tech guy and I find a lot of those tools crazy complex. So yeah if someone cracks the code jf making it dirt simple to load a map, load some pc and npc icons, move them around super easily, and let’s me roll some virtual dice im totally in

Reynard

Legend
Has any D&D or 3PP battle system ever satisfied you? Because the VTT doesn't implement any rules, you can use whatever system you want.
I was responding to a comment that specifically suggested the VTT would enable the use of a naval combat system.

And, yes, for the record: War machine is a nice strategic level mass battle system designed for D&D. But I was mostly talking about how WotC has twice now had an opportunity to create a usable naval combat system and declined.

Oofta

Legend
I was responding to a comment that specifically suggested the VTT would enable the use of a naval combat system.

And, yes, for the record: War machine is a nice strategic level mass battle system designed for D&D. But I was mostly talking about how WotC has twice now had an opportunity to create a usable naval combat system and declined.
My point was that the VTT doesn't implement any rules. It lets you roll dice, indicates how far your PC should move but doesn't prevent movement, etc.. Therefore if you want to do naval combat there's nothing stopping you from using whatever D&D compatible system you want to use.

A related question for me would be - can you place PCs on a tile (e.g. a boat) and move that tile? Will the PCs move with it?

It is not only the battleship. The VTT could work as a virtual-miniature wargame, skirmishes or mass battles. Even a solo game of player vs AI could be possible. Let's imagine a D&D VTT version of CMON Massive Darkness or Zombicide: Dark Plague. I mean, for example a player could use it as mini-game while he is awaiting the rest of the group to join to the game.

The VTT could be used to playtest an updated of rules to rule kingdoms and guilds (Birthright).

A VTT of Hero Quest could work as starters who know nothing, or with other members of the family and friends.

Remove ads