Roll20 now has an openable door function

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
Why would you need a mechanic for hiding a player from other players? Seems like it’s a whole Function for another corner case.
Maybe it's my players, but they will start dropping area effect spells even if other PCs are invisible in the vicinity. Hiding the token from them prevents intentional or subconscious metagaming in placing those spells.

killem2

Explorer
lol

I use both Foundry and Roll20 (I play in two different gaming groups, and the two never can agree on anything.) The two platforms are nearly identical...the interface is different, but they all do the same things in more or less the same way. The biggest difference I've seen between the two is in the amount of game material available for each: Roll20 has more content, but it's also more expensive.
What a load of BS. They are NOT identical I used Roll20 from 2013 until end of 2020. Dozens of great ideas flood suggestion forum, and die.
The fact the PRO version limits your storage is the biggest difference. I can have ANY thing I want on foundry. I can create teleporation from room to room, and I didn't have to have some scripting API BS to do it. I install a module, and it just works. The community around foundry is unreal, roll20 is a fuggin joke.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
What a load of BS. They are NOT identical I used Roll20 from 2013 until end of 2020. Dozens of great ideas flood suggestion forum, and die.
The fact the PRO version limits your storage is the biggest difference. I can have ANY thing I want on foundry. I can create teleporation from room to room, and I didn't have to have some scripting API BS to do it. I install a module, and it just works. The community around foundry is unreal, roll20 is a fuggin joke.
If you don't mind setting up and configuring your own computer to be a game server--use Foundry. If you want to use a server that has already been set up and configured--use Roll20. If you just want a bare-bones VTT and don't want to spend money--use Owlbear Rodeo. I've used all three, and I've found Roll20 to be the most versatile and easiest to use. (shrug) Clearly you disagree, and that's fine.

For whatever reason, Foundry fans tend to be the most, ah, passionate about the differences between VTT platforms. I don't see a lot of strong opinions in the other direction.

If you don't mind setting up and configuring your own computer to be a game server--use Foundry. If you want to use a server that has already been set up and configured--use Roll20.
There is an option to use Foundry that's already setup for you through Forge, but there isn't a free option like there is in Roll20. I use it because I like having the world available to my players between sessions without me needing to worry about kicking them off if I reboot my PC.

Remove ads