Roll20's Latest Numbers: Cthulhu Holding Strong!

Roll20 has released its usage stats for Q4 2020, and D&D maintains its multi-year firm lead with over half the games being played, and Call of Cthulhu continues to cement itself in 2nd place. There was strong growth from Cyberpunk Red and the French game Chroniques Oubliées (Forgotten Chronicles). The report also says that usage in general of the VTT increased by 5% in that quarter (following...

Roll20 has released its usage stats for Q4 2020, and D&D maintains its multi-year firm lead with over half the games being played, and Call of Cthulhu continues to cement itself in 2nd place. There was strong growth from Cyberpunk Red and the French game Chroniques Oubliées (Forgotten Chronicles).

The report also says that usage in general of the VTT increased by 5% in that quarter (following a 6% growth in the previous quarter), and that Roll20 has reached 8M users (that's users ever, not active users).

orrreport-q4_20202.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

Retreater

Legend
Yeah. I've been playing a few Pathfinder 2 games on Roll20 this weekend. When I made up my character (with paid access to the Rulebook and Compendium) I couldn't even drop in a shortsword to attack with ... like I had to write every feature and trait in the attack section.
Frankly, it's absurd this feature isn't even available for paid accounts when I purchased the compendium access for $60. This game system has been out for a year and a half. That something like this is missing shows Roll20 doesn't care about Pathfinder. Whenever it's not required to use Roll20, I will take my Pathfinder games elsewhere.

lud

Explorer
Long term view:

1613866236595.png

D&D is the sum of 3.5, 4e and 5e.
PF is the sum of PF1 and PF2.

It's a shame we don't see how high D&D 5 peaked before going down. Nor do we see the raise of CoC.

Anyone knows why Q3 2019 is the CoC quarter?

We can also see the slow lost of shares of 4e, 3.5 and PF1 at a constant rate for the past 6 years. (Or not so slow for 4e)
The release of PF2 managed to stabilize the PF games total except for this quarter (but see my post on the first page...)

Blue Orange

Gone to Texas
Crazy question: I see what look like French and German games; do Chinese people play RPGs? (I mean, obviously some do; what's the scene like over there?) I assume they'd have their own platforms and the like rather than using Roll20...

With those statistics, is there any point in any new system like The One Ring, despite is financial victory on Kickstarter, when it is still its 5th Edition version that players will eventually settle into.
Whether a lot of people play it or not, it is drawing in a lot of revenue. Kind of reminds me of 7th Sea. I expect a lot more people are buying the books than will ever actually play. But the only thing that matters is people are happy with the purchase.

Remove ads

Remove ads