Roll20's Latest Usage Report: D&D Steady, Cthulhu Down!

Roll20 has released it's latest quarterly report -- and has a new format which features less numbers but prettier graphics! Everything is percentages now, rather than absolute numbers.

D&D is in the lead as ever at 52.7% (down 1%), followed by Call of Cthulhu at 11.9% (down 4.4%) then Pathfinder at 3.2% (down 0.2%) (Pathfinder users apparently use Foundry these days). That's a big drop for Cthulhu which has been on a steady rise for the last year or two.

orrreport-2021-q3-in2.jpg

Some systems are called out --
  • Tormenta (Brazilian) rose 45%
  • Vampire the Masquerade rose 500%(!)
  • Powerd by the Apocalypse is up 130%
  • World of Darkness overall is up 550%
  • WFRP is up 50%
  • Modiphius' 2d20 is up 160%
Screen Shot 2021-11-12 at 1.25.13 AM.png

JThursby

Adventurer
[The PF2e players are] on Foundry, apparently.
Can confirm. It's very nice, in case anyone hasn't heard.

Anyone have a clue as to why VTM suddenly rose? Was it just seasonal with Halloween, or has there been something going on to make the system more approachable? The first printing 5th ed book I have is so god damn unreable because of it's bad layout and organization that I don't have any clue if the system is good or not. If there was a readable revised version I would consider getting it and just chucking this travisty of print into the dumpster.

MGibster

Legend
I’ve always found it surprising how big licensed properties don’t dominate these lists. Maybe the bug Avatar game will make a good showing?
In particular, I've always been surprised that Star Trek hasn't had a bigger splash in the RPG market than it has. I remember the first Trek RPG published by FASA in the 80s, because I'm old, Last Unicorn Games, Decipher, and now Modiphius. (I think FASA lost the license in the late 80s or very early 90s.) It's quite possible I'm experiencing some confirmation bias. I was a huge Star Trek fan when I started playing RPGs and all my friends were fans as well. I'm probably projecting that onto other gamers. On the flip side, I think Star Trek is a somewhat difficult thing to emulate when you're used to playing D&D like I was in the 80s and 90s. Killing stuff and taking their things isn't something Roddenberry would approve of.

And Avatar? For a movie that made so much money it doesn't seem to have left a significant cultural imprint.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases