Round 12 is OVER!

Kaji

First Post
You folks should try a spellcaster with Improved Initiative. Casting spells at flatfooted enemies before they have a chance to find cover or disperse? I say yummy.

Anyway, I'm willing to add weight to Quicken Spell to help save Improved Init, so die die

Quicken Spell.

Greylock

First Post
Crothian said:
POWER ATTACK

we got rid of it once

Yeah, but like Kaji just said, it's to the point, with only one feat being removed, that you need to vote tactically. I want Power Attack gone, but at the moment it seems more important to save Improved Init. So, go with the flow...

ThirdWizard

First Post
godfear said:
Improved Critical

Keen is only a +1 enchantment...

Not to mention keen edge is only a 3rd level spell.

Sure, maybe if they stacked... but since they don't in 3.5...

So my vote goes to Improved Critical

CrusadeDave said:
It's just not as useful as you would think.
I disagree.

CrusadeDave said:
At higher levels more and more of your opponents, Undead and Constructs, are immune to criticals.
Maybe in your games. My PC with Improved Crit. has actually run into far more normal stuff (albeit higher level, advanced, etc.) at higher levels. All his undead encounters happened early on. It's really just luck of the draw (or campaign design, in this case).

CrusadeDave said:
On average it doesn't do much more damage than Weapon Specialization, which has been mercifully culled. With two handed weapons, you're definitely better off with the Focus/Specialization/Greater Focus, for the Extra 4 points of Power Attack damage. Consistent damage is often better than an extra 5% chance of double or triple damage.
Well, with some weapons it's quadruple damage (e.g., a scythe). A 12th level fighter with a scythe who Power/Leap Attacks for 12 and scores a crit? Fun! :)

CrusadeDave said:
Plus you have to focus on one weapon. At higher levels, you never know what your next great weapon is going to be. Better to use Improved Init, Power Attack, Weapon Finesse, or feats that you get to use all the time.
Why would you not do both? With the Power Attack/Leap Attack combination, the Weapon Focus/Spec/Gr.Focus/Gr.Spec combination, and Improved Critical, you are very deadly (with that one weapon, anyway). If you're trying to maximize damage, and you need Weapon Finesse because you're DEX is better than your STR, I think you're pursuing a silly goal. The high STR fighter will do more damage in melee, with melee weapons than a high DEX fighter. So why waste a feat on Weapon Finesse? Now, the Improved Initiative feat might be nice (it's one of my favorite feats), but a high STR fighter with low DEX? He's going late in the order anyway, so why waste a feat on Imp. Init.?

Remove ads