• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

RPG Book Club (Now with contest!!)

bento

Explorer
Crothian,

Great idea.

Put up a poll of your top five titles for this past year, keeping in mind a price limit of around $30.

Wik

First Post
I like this idea, but what's the focus for discussion? Rules, setting, character creation?

Personally, I think it should be a game in itself - not a sourcebook of any sort. Nothing that assumes you already have the PHB for X. And nothing that is just a basic rules sytem - the game needs to have an implied setting of a sort involved. And, preferably, it's from a smaller company that could use the good press and 10+ people buying the book.

Also, does it necessarily need to be an RPG? I think Munchkin, or Zombies! would fit in fairly well.

Amethyst seems like a decent idea, to me. Or WoD d20. Burning Wheel. Or, my personal favourite (since I know very little about it, but I'm interested) is Post-Apocalyptic Hero, though it is not self-contained... but it still looks neat!

Crothian

First Post
Wik said:
I like this idea, but what's the focus for discussion? Rules, setting, character creation?

The book that is choosen. It will depend on what is in it.

Personally, I think it should be a game in itself - not a sourcebook of any sort. Nothing that assumes you already have the PHB for X. And nothing that is just a basic rules sytem - the game needs to have an implied setting of a sort involved. And, preferably, it's from a smaller company that could use the good press and 10+ people buying the book.

While RPG games are good, not a lot of people around here have interest in new RPGs. Also, New RPGs tend to be more expensive then sourcebooks. A sourcebook or module that is choosen will be fora more popular game that many people around here have the rules for. I'm not using this to promote small companies or big ones. It will happen but I'm not going to purposely pick things with that reason in mind.

Also, does it necessarily need to be an RPG? I think Munchkin, or Zombies! would fit in fairly well.

Yes, it has to be an RPG. That's pretty much the point of this :D

Amethyst seems like a decent idea, to me. Or WoD d20. Burning Wheel. Or, my personal favourite (since I know very little about it, but I'm interested) is Post-Apocalyptic Hero, though it is not self-contained... but it still looks neat!

Amethyst is a possibility, MCWoD might be a little pricey, Burning Wheel might be a good one, PA Hero probably not since it is not so self contained.

Good ideas, thanks for the input!! :D

scholar

First Post
you going to tell us

or do we have to figure it out for ourselves?

if it's not startig till june, can I get a preview at albany game day?

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
scholar said:
you going to tell us

if it's not startig till june, can I get a preview at albany game day?

Hopefully, he'll tell us (because it won't be much of a 'book club' if he doesn't) ;)

Crothian

First Post
scholar said:
you going to tell us

It's called building suspense...or making people frustrated. I'm not sure which.

We could turn it into a game. A free copy of the PDF for whomever is correct. I guess per person. It comes in PDF and printed format. It is less then a year old.

if it's not starting till june, can I get a preview at Albany game day?

I'll try to remember to stick in my bag.

Nellisir

Hero
I'm interested, but my budget's pretty tight (I mean, -really- pretty tight) right now. So ideally, whatever we pick is under $10, or under $20 and either universal or 3.5/OGL applicable.

Or make it something I already own. ;)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads