RPG Combat: Sport or War?

There are two different extremes in arranging fights. One is like war and the other is like a sporting event. Sporting events are supposed to be fair contests between roughly equal forces. On the other hand, war is the epitome of unfair competition.

There are two different extremes in arranging fights. One is like war and the other is like a sporting event. Sporting events are supposed to be fair contests between roughly equal forces. On the other hand, war is the epitome of unfair competition.

Jeffro Johnson introduced me to this topic, which was discussed in an ENWorld forum. If your game doesn't involve much combat this discussion may not mean a lot to you.

Strategem: a plan or scheme, especially one used to outwit an opponent or achieve an end

Any GAME implies fairness, equality of opportunity. Knightly jousting tournaments were combat as sport. We don't have semi-pro soccer teams playing in the Premier League, we don't have college basketball teams playing the NBA, because it would be boringly one-sided. People want to see a contest where it appears that both sides can win. And occasionally the weaker side, the underdog if there is one, wins even when they're not supposed to.

An obvious problem with combat as sport, with a fair fight, is that a significant part of the time your players will lose the fight. Unless they're really adept at recognizing when they're losing, and at fleeing the scene, this means somebody will get dead. Frequent death is going to be a tough hurdle in most campaigns.

The objective in war is to get such an overwhelming advantage that the other side surrenders rather than fight, and if they choose not to surrender then a "boring" one-sided massacre is OK. Stratagems are favored in war, not frowned upon. Trickery (e.g. with the inflation of the football) is frowned upon in sports in general, it's not fair, it's cheating.

Yet "All's fair in love and war." Read Glen Cook's fantasy Black Company series or think about mercenaries in general, they don't want a fair fight. They don't want to risk their lives. They want a surrender or massacre. The Black Company was great at using stratagems. I think of D&D adventurers as much like the Black Company, finding ways to win without giving the other side much chance.

When my wife used to GM first edition D&D, she'd get frustrated if we came up with good stratagems and strategies and wiped out the opposition without too much trouble. She felt she wasn't "holding up the side." She didn't understand that it's not supposed to be fair to the bad guys.

Think also that RPG adventures are much like adventure novels: we have to arrange that the players succeed despite the odds, much as the protagonists in a typical novel. In the novel the good guys are often fabulously lucky; in RPGs we can arrange that the players encounter opposition that should not be a big threat if the players treat combat as war rather than as a sport.

I'm not saying you need to stack the game in favor of the players, I'm saying that if the players do well at whatever they're supposed to do - presumably, in combat, out-thinking the other side -then they should succeed, and perhaps succeed easily. Just like Cook's Black Company.

contributed by Lewis Pulsipher
Photo © Marie-Lan Nguyen / Wikimedia Commons, CC BY 2.5

Lewis Pulsipher

Lewis Pulsipher

Dragon, White Dwarf, Fiend Folio

Arilyn

Hero
I've had this happen before, it's most likely because you multi-quoted Lanefan and that button has become sticky. Scroll back up to the post you keep quoting and see if the multi-quote button is still engaged. That's done the trick for me before.

Also, logging off and clearing cookies works, too.

Thanks for the tip!

S

Sunseeker

I'm just here to defend the hobby against those who would tear it down. Unfortunately, dealing with so many trolls at once can be exhausting, so I decided to give it a break... until they started spreading their anti-role-playing rhetoric into other threads. Now I'm here to tie up loose ends.

Oh my god man, I have honestly been trying to avoid adding you to my ignore list, but this is the straw that broke the camels back. Goodbye forever!

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Oh my god man, I have honestly been trying to avoid adding you to my ignore list, but this is the straw that broke the camels back. Goodbye forever!

Dude, if you block him, he can't see your post. It's reciprocal the way Morrus has implemented it. He'd have to see it in someone else's post if they replied with the quote (though it might come through email notifications, I'm not sure if that gap has been plugged yet).

S

Sunseeker

Dude, if you block him, he can't see your post. It's reciprocal the way Morrus has implemented it. He'd have to see it in someone else's post if they replied with the quote (though it might come through email notifications, I'm not sure if that gap has been plugged yet).

I know, I don't really care. I was way beyond done with this thread before he quoted me to talk about defending the faith. I couldn't care less at this point.

pemerton

Legend
When you "go advanced" to post a reply with a quote, the last 20 posts comes up on the page. And that includes posts by people who have you on their ignore list. So Saelorn can still see the post through that means.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads